?Which boot is "your" friend on the steel? | Squat the Planet

?Which boot is "your" friend on the steel?

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm starting this thread being I'm thinking about getting a new pair soon.
My best railroad boots as far as them holding up, being comfortable and spreading out my weight evenly has been "Red Wing's" slip-on style/type.
I wear size 13-1/2, so the Wal*Mart boots have been tough for me to find, but there's got to be somebody on "StP" that knows a place I can purchase a good pair! (Like a website I can go to for ordering)?...I would prefer slip-on's.

What has been the name brand, type and style that you absolutely love and cannot go without while out on the rails? !(Takes a licking and keeps on kicking)!

I have seen a brand with a lifetime warranty called "White's" that are supposedly only made in Spokane, Washington, but, I was told these cost around $600.00 a pair! I can dig into my pocket as deep as $150.00, but really no deeper.

Dmac

Reaction score
i have a pair of gortex lined, Danner, ft lewis boots. i paid more for them than any other 2 pair of shoes/boots i have ever had. got them in 1988 at fort bragg, while in the 82nd. i know for sure that i have marched over 700 miles while in the army, and have worn them every winter including this one. swear to god, they still have the original laces! no crap! mink oil and kiwi shoe wax has kept the leather lasting 20 years so far. this spring they will be hitting the rails with me
how many of you have footwear that has been on both coasts(and oceans) mexico, canada and alaska? better shut up before they end up in my mouth.:soldier:

Reactions: Mankini

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Wow! I did a tad-o-searching earlier on these "Lafuma" footwears and they look nice! (I would not mind spending a bit of extra cash on "Lafuma's")!
Light they were saying too, and that's another thing that's so, so, so important if your gonna be out walking the sleepers!
Thanks...
Widerstand said:
My winter boots are Lafuma Ice Trip boots.

lafuma_icetrip_m.jpg

I like them cause they are insulated and good to wear in the 0 to 30 degree weather... other then that I just wear now Montrail trail running shoes.

Withoutatrace

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
The best I have the money to buy. I don’t go for those trainer types. I like leather uppers and linings and rubbersoles.
The best pair of boot I ever had I got up in Bellingham. Alaskan boots, double lined, with insulation between the linings. I traded a sleeping bag for them.
I have some leather boots now. I always have loops to hold the laces – to get them on and off quickly.
One size too big is good. I can put an extra pair of socks on in cold weather.
Cheap boots are a bad economy. Your feet are important.

What size are you dma66?
If you travelled with me those Danners might head out before first light on my feet riding a grainer.
I'd LUURve a pair of Danners - how much are they?

Only joking

Withoutatrace

Withoutatrace

Dmac

Reaction score
well at least you know good footwear! the smell will probably keep a skunk away from them, but you will have to fight me for them. believe me, after 20 years, if your feet are not exactly like mine, you might as well strap burlap and razor blades to your feet! hope i get the chance to meet ya, then we can decide from there! ha ha.

TBone

Reaction score
I just recently bought my first pair of "real" hiking boots, a pair of Asolo TPS 520's and have been very pleased with them. Without even breaking them in I was able to put 5+ mile hikes with a heavy pack on with only a couple hot spots on my foot. They are a little out of your price range but from my experience so far they seem worth it. They are damn waterproof too. I was looking at danners before these but I couldn't find a local shop that carried them.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
*sigh* i was wearing $25 walmart boots for about two months. i never knew i could get 7 blisters on top of each other. i finaly bought a pair of "air wear" dr. martens. They are awesome. flexble sole, softened leather(so i dont have to deal with the agonizing break-in period), ankle support, and light weight. great so far.

atherington

Reaction score
I know I'll get knocked for this, but my converse all stars are still holding up pretty good. ha :)

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
whatever works for you man! my feet would kill those shoes in a week...and vise versa.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
I have these lightweight rubber combat boots from Target...super, super light not like most similar footwear. I haven't had them long enough to really tell how they'll hol dup, but they're doing okay so far.

Also, I agree with atherington. I wear converse or vans most of the time...and they do get torn up but my feet are a lot less sore in them then they are wearing big, heavy shoes.

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
I'm upset I've had a pair of Dr. Martens for about 12-13 years that just died. They had patches sewn on several places. but now the soles are cracked and splitting apart. I need some new ones now.

stove

Reaction score
I've been wearing a pair of REI Monarch IV's for a month or so now...The Non-goretex versions. Cost $85 or so, they're shadow-made by Merrel for REI, so you get a great return policy with an awesome footwear company. I hope they can hold up to my style of hiking, going to take them into the wild in a few days for some mountaineering...

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
My biggest problem with boots is finding a pair that AREN'T waterproof. My feet sweat like holy hell and the waterproof holds in just as much moisture as they hold out! which means I end up getting a new pair every two months to keep the jungle rot at bay.

I've tried everything from the cheap walmart shit to combat boots to the milspec desert boots with the grommets to let air in. the desert boots were probably the best, since they had badass molded Vibram soles, and weren't too heavy, but they still started to rot my feet in about two months!!!

So now I just go into walmart and swap out about once a month. right now i have these lowtop Brahma 'Cruize' steel toes. basically just tennis shoes with steel toes and no-slip soles. not much lug on them, but they'll do for a month or two.

stove

Reaction score
The boots I mentioned are non-waterproof (canvas), and they've held up great for daily use over the past two or so months. I'll be truly testing them on a serious trek this summer, but they haven't failed yet. $85 new at REI, "REI Monarch IV (non-Gore-Tex)". Give them a try if you are still searching.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
My biggest problem with boots is finding a pair that AREN'T waterproof. My feet sweat like holy hell and the waterproof holds in just as much moisture as they hold out! which means I end up getting a new pair every two months to keep the jungle rot at bay.

I've tried everything from the cheap walmart shit to combat boots to the milspec desert boots with the grommets to let air in. the desert boots were probably the best, since they had badass molded Vibram soles, and weren't too heavy, but they still started to rot my feet in about two months!!!

So now I just go into walmart and swap out about once a month. right now i have these lowtop Brahma 'Cruize' steel toes. basically just tennis shoes with steel toes and no-slip soles. not much lug on them, but they'll do for a month or two.

That sounds like a chronic fungal foot infection that requires treatment, more than the fault of the boots...

logan714

Rev Quay Lude The Church of the SubGenius http:
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread being I'm thinking about getting a new pair soon.
My best railroad boots as far as them holding up, being comfortable and spreading out my weight evenly has been "Red Wing's" slip-on style/type.
I wear size 13-1/2, so the Wal*Mart boots have been tough for me to find, but there's got to be somebody on "StP" that knows a place I can purchase a good pair! (Like a website I can go to for ordering)?...I would prefer slip-on's.

What has been the name brand, type and style that you absolutely love and cannot go without while out on the rails? !(Takes a licking and keeps on kicking)!

I have seen a brand with a lifetime warranty called "White's" that are supposedly only made in Spokane, Washington, but, I was told these cost around $600.00 a pair! I can dig into my pocket as deep as $150.00, but really no deeper.

try ebay for red wings got my last ones for $40 to the door

logan

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
red wings are the best boot you can find. i have worked in the construction field off and on for about 10 years now, and most guys on my crews wear them, and they out last any other boot by years. they can be a little pricey though but if you shop around a little bit you can find some for relatively decent prices.
i also have a ganglion cyst on my foot that hits a nerve, and if i wear boots to long my foot will start to HURT really bad, but if i have my red wings on i can wear them and not even notice. like someone said your feet are VERY important, so take care of them with good shoes. a good boot can go a long way to keeping you physically healthy.

farmer john

Reaction score

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads