MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
This thread is about Austin, Texas. All discussions and information about Austin should go here.

wartomods

Reaction score
i would get with the bmx guys in austin, there are a bunch cool of riders, look up by the trails near 9th street, they are a bit fag though, nonetheless cool people

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
24th and 29st bridges are usually ok, but sometimes hot. the square on the strip there's a drop-in for anyone under 23. you can just make up a birthdate.ithink the strip is called challupa for some reason. there should definately be some kids there.

Eddie

Reaction score
Wild as it is, I haven't seen a punk kid. I sort of figured any town on earth would have some crusty punks hanging around the parks with crass patches. I was eating at food not bombs and it was nothing but college hippies and some internationals. I'm keeping an eye out for shows though!

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
yeah everyone usually avoids texas, man. I went through austin, and there are no crust punks traveler kids whatever you wanna call em. Its dead for that yo. good luck with those yuppie hippies though!

Eddie

Reaction score
Damn, that's too bad. The weather is nice, there is a hell of a music scene, just no underground that I've found yet.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Yea, true that... 1.50 24hr bus pass... and its actully a rather small city, can just about walk anywhere just going up and down the hills sucks some if your not used to it.

earliest

Reaction score
Damn, Austin was blown up and really boring when I was there last month. There's a girl scout cabin I know of near Barton Springs that's a good squat on weekdays (running water and electricity, just avoid the campers,) but its totally haunted. You can message me for vague directions if you want.

Reactions: Coywolf

Snookie

Reaction score
I know this thread is really old. But for anyone else trying to find shit to do in austin, there are a few punk co-op houses there. I used to live at a place called the comal house. Its a different crowd of kids there now but they're still traveler friendly as far as I know and they will probably put u up for a few nights. Its on Comal and 21st. Its easy to figure out which house it is. Lots of bikes etc. There's also the spotted dick house in austin Cant remember exactly where that is but if you ask around at the comal house someone will point you over there. The Spotted dick house has lots of good shows. Fuck hangin out on guadelupe, its mostly "oogles" and junkies and rude frat boys and sorority girls.

Reaction score
I haven't been in Austin in a minute, but there was a scene happening you just have to look a little. There are usually always kids on the drag and on 6th at night.. I cant think of that outreach place on guadalupe.. NEX or somthing? You'll def find travellers/squatters there. They give away socks, toothbrushes, etc.. I squatted on the eastside for a while, just (obviously) be careful and nice respectful of the neighbors (gangs, etc.)

Speaking of squatting in Austin, has anyone stayed at the Nerf? Its a cave in a park, that is kind of hidden because its across an arroyo that will actually flash flood and leave you stuck in the cave lol.. It got its title because people brought dumpstered carpet pad there over the years and the floor is super soft and "nerfy". Good place to get out of the rain if you can find it..

peace

Nana

Reaction score
There will be a lot of travelers there in a week..Chaos and Tejas down on 6th area. I've camped at mo-pac siding. you can take the far west bus on Dean Keaton for free to get up there. Barton springs is fun to camp at too. there's also dog shit park and ass rape park...

seasonchange

Reaction score
I know this thread is really old. But for anyone else trying to find shit to do in austin, there are a few punk co-op houses there. I used to live at a place called the comal house. Its a different crowd of kids there now but they're still traveler friendly as far as I know and they will probably put u up for a few nights. Its on Comal and 21st. Its easy to figure out which house it is. Lots of bikes etc. There's also the spotted dick house in austin Cant remember exactly where that is but if you ask around at the comal house someone will point you over there. The Spotted dick house has lots of good shows. Fuck hangin out on guadelupe, its mostly "oogles" and junkies and rude frat boys and sorority girls.

not sure if the comal house is still kicking these days. but spotted dick is, and though it's pretty chill these days, they're open to taking some kids in if you a) know someone who's stayed there previously or b) go to one of their shows and ask about it.

the spotted dick house is in east austin, tucked away in a sort of quiet neighborhood off of 7th street & pedernales. a few blocks west of that intersection behind a yellow convenience store / gas station ("major brand gas") is another [bike] punk house-- the skidmarx house. they throw shows and host bike-in movies. if you show up for chaos in tejas, lots of shit goes down here, and you can definitely pass out anywhere nearby.

you will definitely find street kids on guadalupe, but it's right in west campus, so there are tons of students. you can find free food there though. check out veggie heaven. it's a vegetarian chinese restaurant. after 6pm (approx), they give out free stir-fry with rice. also, ny hot slice right next to cream vintage (guadalupe & dean keeton) gives away their pizza at the end of the day. you'll also find free snacks at the church a block over and a few blocks down that functions as a drop-in center.

it's definitely hard to squat downtown austin as there are lots of cops (and believe me, the cops SUCK in texas), but if you're staying in town for a while, explore the east side. there are lots of empty houses in mildly rough neighborhoods. they won't give two fucks if you squat for the most part.

either way, good luck.

seasonchange

Reaction score
hell yeah, especially after a good rain. campbell's hole is great for swimming, and the rock face is great for climbing. lots of nooks for smokes, drinks, and shooting the shit.
careful though. during peak season, they've got a couple cops on foot keeping folks "in line." there were a number of tickets issued this summer, i hear. depends on who you're hanging out with and where you're hanging out. staying hidden keeps you safe.

spoon

The coolest person you never met.
Reaction score
Austin is a good place to link up with people. Bands are coming and going 24/7. Shouldn't have a problem catching a ride out. But while there stay under the radar. The TX cops are dicks and if you go outside Austin, we all have guns. All you need to buy a gun in TX is a TX ID. And there are a billion excuses someone can give the cops to explain the corpse on the front lawn.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads