Reaction score
For those headed down here, some updated pointers, since I live here.

first-There seems to be an uptick in tweakers, and violence related to them. Be careful, these people will fuck you up.

The cops have been clearing out The Drag (Guadalupe) of travelers-if you get stopped/spotted by the cops expect to get hassled.

For those of you wanting to camp out in the Greenbelt-the floods flushed a lot of debris all over the trails, and change the landscape a bit, so it may not be a good idea to try to pitch camp there.

There's a lot more REAL homeless folks out here then ever before-our economy here is kind of in rough shape, regardless of what people may tell you. That means less kickdowns, less change, and really desperate, cranky folks. On the other hand these old guys will know about showers and free feedings and stuff.

There are now places in Austin where you can be arrested for drinking in public, and places where you won't be. Be discreet. As for weed, as long as you're not right in front of a cop nobody gives a shit, you could prolly spark a bowl anywhere in this town if there's no cops around.

seasonchange

Reaction score
weird. i feel like austin's economic scene is thriving. it's the only city in the u.s. to have job growth in the past year. i'd say the reason you won't get handouts is because the city is OVERRUN with students. head downtown on a weekend or south congress for rich folks' spare change.

headwound

Reaction score
The Steps and the Grassy gnoll are now officially "No Tresspassing" areas from what I was told a couple of days ago.

xRastaxRuggzx

Reaction score
dog shit parks a good place to crash. 24th st bridge off 24th and lamar, thats not too bad. a creek right there and part of it has a leash free zone. its right newar t the bmx dirt jumps are straight too as long as you get up in the morning. i was just there we didnt see too many kids, but its a hot spot in texas because of ATA which is on 51st and Cameron that provides free medical care for cats and dogs as long as you get them spayed/neutered. they usually were good to me about busking, so i didnt have too much trouble.

evasion

Reaction score
Damn. I've had a lot of good times on the steps of the church of malt liquor. But I've heard a lot of people complaining about being hassled by cops around there.

xRastaxRuggzx

Reaction score
yeah i heard from some homebums around there that said they did a huge sweep and anyone with a pack got tossed in a paddywagon. great thing bout right near the vet, had cheap pbr and 2 for 5 mad doggs.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I was their last year and was told kids are no longer welcome there. They're handing tickets out like candy last time i was their. Other than that same ol same ol. If ya wanna stay low key you might wanna kick it at Barton springs.

J

Johnny P

^^^What were they handing tickets out for? Was it because kids were acting the fool on the street? Or were they giving out tickets for busking?

I've heard that Austin has a sitting law like most cities seem to be putting into affect. Maybe that's what they were giving tickets for?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i've heard san marcos is a cool town...lil south of austin ...college there....might be a better situation with cops(even tho i never got fucked with in austin, but that was a few years ago).

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i lived in austin for almost a year before moving to the slabs in november! austin is pretty rad. check out all the food trucks in town, and go see the bats take off from underneath congress bridge. here's a short video i made of them flying out into the sky at sunset:

alamo draft house is cool for movies, but dont work for them! they treat their workers like crap. there's an outdoor drive in on E 6th street that's only 5 bucks if you walk/bike in otherwise it's like 25 if you have a car. cool movies though, great atmosphere, and they'll let you bring your own beer/alcohol. last time i went i got shitfaced on black rum and the employees started joining in and having a few drinks with us. http://www.bluestarlitedrivein.com/

biking in austin is awesome, lots of bike paths along the river and places to hang out and drink a beer there too! the east side is my favorite spot for bars... that's all i can think of for now. ill try and think of some more stuff later. definitely one of my favorite towns in the usa though!

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
6th street west side is okay, but keep moving or the cops will fuck with you. ive hung out with kids busking at the mellow mushroom on 23rd and guadalupe, but haven't seen anyone busking there for a while. there's a parking lot next door that seems like a good spot to play, especially on weekends since it's in college kid country.

SeeYouInIceland

Reaction score
showlistaustin.com

south austin and east austin are where it's at. the bars aren't so sterile on the e. side, also lots of free noise/experimental music shows, house shows etc. this record store trailer space often has free b.y.o.b. shows. in the south you got barton springs, zilker park and the 7mi greenbelt with some caves to check out, also lots of good bars and restaurants. there are a couple cool "beaches" along the colorado river at roy g. guerrero park off of s. pleasant valley on the east side. i've camped out in there before. i see a lot of buskers and get spanged alot along s. congress, downtown. star seeds on the e. side of I-35 is an awesome diner w/ beer, one of my favorites.

Reactions: Phoenixx
D

Deleted member 15262

Anyone passing by Austin, I really recommend you check out Castle Hill downtown. The graffiti continuously changes, with some amazing art at the bottom. And better yet, you get an awesome view of downtown at the top. One of my favorite places to visit in Austin, put it on your bucket list and check it out!

Dmac

Reaction score
Nice place! loved the big trump head. haha Thanks!

D

Deleted member 15262

ya, really dissapointing when that good art is scribbled over. The drone in the video was custom built, the builder is filming a timeline to document the changes. I'd love to see how that turns out

Gypsy McNomad

Reaction score
I just went there a few months ago really chill spot im a writer myself nothing lasts there but i caught some indiscreet spots when I was there lmk if ya see me Soak79 peace from Providence RI

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads