What to pack? | Page 8 | Squat the Planet

What to pack?

GutterMax

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
LED flashlights are the way to go, I picked one up for $8 and it has 6 LEDs and only runs on 4 AA's. It will shine at least 60 feet no problem and if someones within 10 ft of you they cant even make out the shape of your body if you shine it right in there eyes. The flashlight is made out of some kind of really burly plastic, I dropped mine out of a treehouse that was a good 10 or 12 ft off the ground and it still works fine.

Dmac

Reaction score
featherbags are warm, but if they get the slitest bit wet (and the army ones put a sponge to shame) they are useless. i have an army mountain bag, filled with polyfill, it does not wick up water, has a water resistant shell and will keep you tosty to 0 or 10 below. i have woken to find me compleatly covered in snow and still tosty warm. however it iis bulky, nothing squishes down like a down filled anything.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
I always have and always will own a Mag-Light!
I have it on a keyring hanging from my britches belt-loop tucked so it does not get caught on anything.
They are weatherproof and all have a lifetime warranty too.
The one I have has colored insert-lenses so I don't attract any unwanted guests at night being that you are not the only person that can see your light! These lenses can be bought seperate hanging next to the flashlights on the shelves.
Also, like the above post, you now can buy a Maglights with LED capabilities for a few more bucks, but well worth it!
I usually go two months with one then bring it back into Wal*Mart and have them swap it out for me another brand new one, thus I never have the chance to even use the spare bulb. It stays clean, (the adjustable tip that is), being that I exchange it so often. They never once have asked me for a receipt either, not on an even exchange.....I usually get between 7 to 10 nights with each set of AA batteries with it too.
To me, having a good flashlight is almost as important as my bindle!
www.maglight.com

• Useful
Reactions: West

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
O.k redirected question to this thread...I apologize for my insolence and making the same thread. Well you all say what to pack I already know all of that, but what to pack it in I was traveling with a dakine pack, but that just wasn't cutting it. Like someone else said it's amazing what you find along the way.

jade

Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
maybe you would understand it if you were into photography, i have a canon rebel Dslr, it was about 900, but i worked the shitty job to save up for it, because I love photography, saying that looking through a lens taking pictures is a waste of time, is just like saying sketching scenery, or any form of art is a waste of time because it's in your mind, taking you away from physical life experience, i guess i think it's kinda stupid to take pictures of stuff like a retarded tourist, to put in a scrapbook, but that's not what my kind of photography is about

Reactions: foxx

KEVIlgeNius

Reaction score
Cat-tails, no need to pack them, but learn to grab a couple while you go. I see them everywhere and they have endless uses. fire starte, food, insulator... look it up. They weigh next to nothing and can be thrown away and re-picked whenever.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
My Gear List:
Sleeping Bag
Tarp

Clothes:
overalls
jeans
leggings
2 pairs boxers
5 or 6 shirts, various weights and arm lengths
a few pairs of undies
3 pairs socks
hat
bandana
sneakers
flip flops
coat
hoodie
(looks like a lot, but most are light layers and I included what I have on)

ziplock bag of hemp and beads (For entertainment and money making)

Inside another ziplock:
space blanket
a few feet of duct tape rolled around half a pencil
spork
candle
lighter
sewing kit (floss, needles, patches)
feminine stuff

Inside removable bag (shoved in top pocket of pack):
knife/multitool
pipe
tobacco
Tracphone and charger
mp3 player and charger
chapstick
wallet (cash, id, etc.)
pen/paper
lighter
sunglasses

Whew it looks really long written all out...but most of this shit is tiny.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
you carry a fuck load. 5-6 shirts???!!! damn. i carry two in case i lose one haha

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Minimum is a sleeping bag, tarp, knife,pack, and water. The rest is luxerys.

KEVIlgeNius

Reaction score
I am very interested in the multi-use of items to save on weight. Anyone using some things as other things? By which I mean far different from the manufacturer's original intent? - not leaves for tp

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads