What to pack? | Page 7 | Squat the Planet

What to pack?

T

Tailz

i dont like packin heavy... less is more. i pack a jacket, a blade, a wine skin... they pack down small when empty, t-shirt, socks... foot rot sucks, granola or jerky, few ounces of tobacco, usually a couple of tallboys to get my road a little shwilly, plastic or small tarp sometimes, a couple a lighters and matchbooks, and jewelry makin shit, maybe a blanket and a my travel hammock. oh and a metal plate or bowl for cookin if im gonna be in a jungle or whatever. you can get really anything you need by dumpster divin, spangin, or just askin someone to borrow it. i like all my shit to be able to fit into a rucksack, without havin a anything else to worry about. and i have used a tool belt, and hell yeah, they free up alotta room in your pack, plus you dont have to worry about shit fallin out if you sew some fabric flaps over the top of its pockets.

Treath

Reaction score
Yeah I usually pack lite as I can. No need to pack things that you end up throwing away or you find way down in your backpack rotting.
Always keep perishable food/items at the top of the pack.

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
i dont like packin heavy... less is more. i pack a jacket, a blade, a wine skin... they pack down small when empty, t-shirt, socks... foot rot sucks, granola or jerky, few ounces of tobacco, usually a couple of tallboys to get my road a little shwilly, plastic or small tarp sometimes, a couple a lighters and matchbooks, and jewelry makin shit, maybe a blanket and a my travel hammock. oh and a metal plate or bowl for cookin if im gonna be in a jungle or whatever. you can get really anything you need by dumpster divin, spangin, or just askin someone to borrow it. i like all my shit to be able to fit into a rucksack, without havin a anything else to worry about. and i have used a tool belt, and hell yeah, they free up alotta room in your pack, plus you dont have to worry about shit fallin out if you sew some fabric flaps over the top of its pockets.

damn, compared to my pack, that ain't travellin' light at all haha

T

Tailz

damn, compared to my pack, that ain't travellin' light at all haha

yeah... i know some kids that take whats in there pockets, and thats it. i like to have a little more to say the least. but shit man, compared to last summer when i was hoppin and thumbin my way from arkansas to wyoming, i had at least a 75 pound pack, fuck all that jazz. gets to hot for that shit. and its hard as hell to catch on the fly with a 75 pound rig.

1stcavmp77

Reaction score
learn to pack things that are multi-use. there are videos on youtube that show a shelter system that is pretty light and extremely versatile. it's called a versi-shelter in fact. you can get an army-issue poncho, some paracord or other cord, a couple bungee cords, and either some army tent poles that are pretty light (you only need three) and a wool blanket and you're all set for shelter if you feel the need to carry a tent or some such with you. m.r.e's are pretty light and you only need one a day if you eat all of it. trash bags weigh next to nothing and are very multi-use. a good multitool with a good knife blade and a good saw blade on it could be invaluable. countycomm.com makes a lot of great pocket sized tools, flashlights, and lighters that you could even carry on a chain around your neck if you wanted. wow i just checked and they have a new bag on there that looks pretty great for $26.50. also don't forget about molle gear. it just about can't be beat for verstility when it comes to being able to change how you carry your gear and expandability. you might want to pack a space blanket if you are going to be out in the cold since it will keep you a lot warmer than some blankets that weigh a lot more and take up a lot more room.

if you go to the countycomm site be sure to chech out the video steven's everyday carry pocket tools.

1stcavmp77

Reaction score
learning some wilderness survival skills will help lighten your load as well since you won't need to carry certain kinds of items when you know how find and make certain kinds of things that can make it a little easier to get by with out things that you previously thought you had to have.

T

Tailz

yeah, knowin how to make a lean-to shelter is mos def a good and easy to learn skill to have. if your in the city you can hit up a store with a hangover roof, or a dumpster if your desperate... no need for a tent.

T

Tailz

Yeah I usually pack lite as I can. No need to pack things that you end up throwing away or you find way down in your backpack rotting.
Always keep perishable food/items at the top of the pack.

i dont even carry parishables... i just go up to wal mart and steal a shitload of beef jerky, granola, and pork and beans. altho canned food starts to way ya down on those long stretches of road.

T

Tailz

learn to pack things that are multi-use. there are videos on youtube that show a shelter system that is pretty light and extremely versatile. it's called a versi-shelter in fact. you can get an army-issue poncho, some paracord or other cord, a couple bungee cords, and either some army tent poles that are pretty light (you only need three) and a wool blanket and you're all set for shelter if you feel the need to carry a tent or some such with you. m.r.e's are pretty light and you only need one a day if you eat all of it. trash bags weigh next to nothing and are very multi-use. a good multitool with a good knife blade and a good saw blade on it could be invaluable. countycomm.com makes a lot of great pocket sized tools, flashlights, and lighters that you could even carry on a chain around your neck if you wanted. wow i just checked and they have a new bag on there that looks pretty great for $26.50. also don't forget about molle gear. it just about can't be beat for verstility when it comes to being able to change how you carry your gear and expandability. you might want to pack a space blanket if you are going to be out in the cold since it will keep you a lot warmer than some blankets that weigh a lot more and take up a lot more room.

if you go to the countycomm site be sure to chech out the video steven's everyday carry pocket tools.

i geuss the thing that always takes up the most room in my pack is my bedroll. i need to snatch up one of those ultra lite, compact sleepin bag... Anyone know good brands or any suggestions on that?

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
i geuss the thing that always takes up the most room in my pack is my bedroll. i need to snatch up one of those ultra lite, compact sleepin bag... Anyone know good brands or any suggestions on that?

I've heard good things about snugpak, being super compressible, but they are expensive and hard to find.

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
Most useful item in my pack right now: Gameboy.

A GameBoy Advance, a Pokemon red cartridge, and Tetris DX has kept me occupied through many boring hours. It is absolutely worth bringing.

Can't read through all of this but I'll throw in my $0.02 on some of the more unusual things I like to pack. Seems like a long list, but almost all these things are super-light.

1) Universal Water Key - like this:
4waywaterkeyqm4.jpg

Nice to be able to get water just about anywhere. I found mine sticking out of a wall in KCMO, but you should find one at better hardware stores.

2) Rain Poncho-Tarp - do NOT get one of the $5 PVC ponchos, they'll rip wide open in about 2 minutes. Get nylon or siltarp (ooh fancy), and make sure it has loops or grommets in the corners so you can string it up as a shelter. I use a Sea to Summit brand one and I like it, it's got an extra long back side that'll fit over a pack, but it has a drawcord so it won't drag when you're bare-backed.

3) Heatsheets brand "space" blanket - heatsheets brand is important, the normal "space" brand ones are shitty thin noisy crinkly material, the heatsheets ones are a softer, more durable, stretchier material that lasts way longer, makes less noise and is overall way less annoying. Some of them have one side printed orange with a bunch of survival info, too. Never leave home without mine, shit only weighs like 10 grams and it'll keep you at least 15-25 degrees warmer at night (you might wake up soaked in sweat, though - they don't breathe at all). When I'm setting up camp somewhere, I like to make a lean-to with my poncho and drape the space blanket half over the open side. Reflects a lot of body heat without trapping moisture, also helps repel the rain and wind a bit extra.

4) At least 50 feet of 7-strand 550 lb. test nylon paracord. Good cord is fucking essential for just about everything, most of all setting up a shelter that'll keep the rain off of ya. I say the 550 p-cord because you can pull the 7 inner strands out and multiply your line length by 8, or use individual strands as sewing thread, fishing line, whatevs (each strand holds 50 lbs., the sheath holds 200 - WHEN NEW). It's the stuff on my belt in my avatar there - that's a good way I devised that makes sure I've always got about 45 feet on me - makes the belt a lot more useful and comfy, too. But I usually carry 50 feet in addition to that - the belt's just for emergencies. Likewise my custom shoelaces. There's a lot of shitty knock-off paracord around, make sure yours is 7-strand, make sure it's 550-lb., make sure each inner strand is 50lb. test. Camping and Army Surplus stores. The good places have it in bulk, on a roll, cut to size. Of course good cord is only as good as the knots you know - I'd definitely suggest taking the time to learn at LEAST the "Round Turn and Two Half-Hitches," the "Figure Eight" and the "Bowline" - between those you'll probably be able to do everything you need. From there learn the "Sheet Bend" (and "Double Sheet Bend") and the "Tentline Hitch" (aka "Tautline Hitch") if you tie stuff down or put up tarps a lot.

5) A good LED headlamp, which isn't that unusual, but I didn't see it mentioned in the 1.5 pages or so I read. I like the Petzl Tikka Plus and the Black Diamond Spot.

6) A tiny notebook you can keep in your pants pocket, for when inspiration strikes and can't wait.

7) A Doan Brand magnesium firestarter tool - available at any decent outdoors store. Try to make sure tool itself is Doan brand, although many different brands package them. Read the instructions and PRACTICE WITH IT until you get it right. And use the back of your blade so it won't dull the edge. Saved my ass a couple times, never breaks, hard to lose (the little knot sticking out of the side of my multitool pouch is one end of the cord that keeps it in there) and if you ever get REALLY bored around a campfire they're fun to throw in (it'll light up half an acre like daylight). Beats the hell out of worrying about backup lighters or matches (though I'll usually pack those, too).
doansmagnesiumfirestarter.jpg

8) I like to wrap about 8-10 feet of duct tape around the barrel of a pen and keep that in my pocket at all times.

9) A razor blade in your wallet, just in case. Weighs nothing, better than getting stuck somewhere without a blade.

10) A hi-visibility vest for walking down highways after dark.

11) Mutlivitamins. Fo sho. Try to take 'em with a fatty or oily meal for best absorbtion.

12) A few feet of red plastic DANGER tape. Great to string up around a sketchy campin spot to keep folks from getting close enough to see you.
31i05kbJ4rL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

13) A couple of alcohol pads for first aid or getting poison ivy oil off ya, or any time you need clean fingers in a pinch. Grab some band-aids while you're at it.

14) A pack of freeze-dried coffee, like from an MRE, some tea.

15) Safety pins. Sometimes there's no time to sew.

16) I recently got a cheap little 8x monocular and love it. My vision ain't the greatest and it lets me see workers in a unit from 200 yards. Mine only weighs like 2oz., too.

17) Juggling balls.

rememberusername said:
IVe always wondered about my glasses..

Think those reflect sunlight/carlight?

I read in an Army manual once about how you can get a little dust on the lenses to cut the glare a lot. Pretty smart tip.

I

IBRRHOBO

when i make cross country runs i like to base camp here and there. the old tried and true fuse/flare (hobo lighter) is getting hard to come by and makes a hell of a light. walmart sells these starter logs for 32 cents. u can break a chunk off to cook soup in a pop can or use to whole thing to get a fire going in the rain/snow. u can also use em to warm ur hands and stay alive in a box if need be.

desaparecido

Reaction score
12) A few feet of red plastic DANGER tape. Great to string up around a sketchy campin spot to keep folks from getting close enough to see you.
31i05kbJ4rL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

that's genius.

S

SoupandMoney

Nobody's said anything about a toothbursh. I know I can't afford to go to the dentist and get my teeth fixed if I get a cavity and I'm not going to have someone pull my teeth out with a pair of pliers. A toothbrush is light and toothpaste or baking soda isn't much heavier. F'in brush your teeth.

BrokeWhiteBoy

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
nobody's said anything about a toothbursh. I know i can't afford to go to the dentist and get my teeth fixed if i get a cavity and i'm not going to have someone pull my teeth out with a pair of pliers. A toothbrush is light and toothpaste or baking soda isn't much heavier. F'in brush your teeth.

a-fucking-men

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
yeah garbage bags are pretty useful in a fix. if you need some just go into any fast food bathroom and they usually will have a couple in the bottom of the bin for replacing the bag they take to the dumpster.

whats MEC? ive been looking around for a place that has silktarps no luck so far

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads