-gloves and a pair of fingerless gloves
-socks
-2 pairs of jeans
-few t-shirts

What I usually wear...
-my leather coat
-zip up hoodie
-thermo pants (under my jeans)
(sometimes a thermo shirt under my t-shirt on uber cold days)
-comfy bra
-T-shirt

I also have a small travel sewing machine. I like to make things like stuff bunnies, patches, random crap to sell while I spange.

THINGS I NEED TO GET BEFORE I LEAVE TO TRAVEL AGAIN-
new sleeping bag
boots
knife
maybe a tent?
and of course... a hiking pack

ANY OTHER IDEAS ON WHAT I SHOULD TRY AND GET??

I wouldnt suggest a tent. kinda bulky. I just use a tarp. water proof one. not that water resistant crap.

bfalk420

Reaction score
I ALWAYS make sure if traveling with junkies, to bring Nalaxone just in case of an overdose. Also I like to bring a smily and sign making materials. But I have a large size swedish rucksack with an internal frame so I can fit everything in my pack. I dont know how big yours is
Why travel with Junkies?

Reaction score
Toenail clippers. You can ditch the fingernail clippers. Toenail clippers can cut through thick toenails and will work just fine on the hands. They often times have a knife, file and bottle opener as well.

Some people choose to use their knife, tear, or even chew them off. Smooth fingernails is important when removing or putting on socks or gloves. Trimming your nails will also improve appearance and hygiene.

tallhorseman

Reaction score
My gear.

Bear in mind, when I'm packing, I'm packing for the woods, not the road. I live in one of the most remote parts of Louisiana, and I enjoy travelling on the flood-plain between the Mississippi River, and the flood control levy.

Gear:

Medium sized, aluminum framed Alice pack
Sleeping bag and Coleman Max inflatable ground pad (what can I say, I’m old…I hurt) fastened to the bottom of the Alice frame with two nylon straps. I'm really impressed with the Coleman ground pad, because if you pack it right it helps pad your kidneys from the Alice pack.

Left Alice pocket: Water: a two-liter collapsible canteen bladder with drinking tube.

Center Alice pocket: Shelter: 10’x15’ tarp, 8 metal tent stakes, various scraps of para-cord (probably 100’ in all), plus a mini-mag flashlight and insect repellent.

Right Alice pocket: First aid kit in gallon zip-lock bag, including cuticle scissors, fingernail clippers, sutures(god forbid), water purifying tabs, heat tabs, two mini-bic lighters in a waterproof pill container(paranoia), Remington multi-tool, spare compass.

Behind Alice pockets: more para-cord, small nylon line, large utility lighter, leather string, exacto knife kit. Aa batteries.

In top flap: maps downloaded from Microsoft streets and trips with lon/lat markers, sharpy, ball-point pen, note pad, compass, six-inch ruler, identification.

Anterior inside area: crown royal bag with 3m 33 electrical tape, another pill-bottle full of ball bearings for the sling shot (pill bottle lined with cloth to keep the bearings from rattling, I HATE RATTLES!), fork-knife-spoon combo, bag of trail mix, bag of unbleached tortilla flour.

Posterior inside area: clothing(T-shirts, jeans, socks; two of each, and cloth gloves), Coleman cooking kit (I keep clean cloth stuffed inside the kit, usually stockings, because this stuff tends to rattle otherwise, and I keep the stockings anyway in case my feet start getting sore, they eliminate shoe friction, soldiers use them when marching), camera in waterproof container, trot-line/fishing kit in zip-lock bag.

Also: walking stick; I just bought a three-section collapsible one, but before that I used bamboo. I’m not so impressed with the new one. Schrade hunting knife. Wrist rocket sling shot. This stuff might be in my pack, on my pack, in my pockets, or on my belt, depending on the day.

The fishing kit: get a 2”x 4” rigid conduit nipple and two screw-on caps. Drill several ¼ inch holes in the nipple and caps. Wrap the nipple with 50-60’ of nylon trot-line. On the inside of it keep hooks and a plastic bag with catfish bait(in a zip-lock, it stinks). You have to have hooks with eyes LARGE enough to accommodate the trot-line, most don’t. When you camp close to water, you can un-wrap the trot-line, add the hooks and bait, tie the end of the trotline to the conduit nipple, and throw it out in the water. Tie the other end to a tree/bush/rock. You drilled holes in the nipple, so it will fill with water and sink, anchoring your trot-line.

I also experimented with keeping a single fiberglass fishing arrow stored in my bamboo staff. You can shoot it with the wrist-rocket as long as you’re wearing gloves. Theoretically you could spear fish…or spear anything for that matter. But last year a Mississippi game warden walked up on my camp and saw the arrow leaning against a tree and kept me hand-cuffed for half an hour while he and two more knuckle-heads searched for a bow. They were convinced I was bow hunting (poaching). After that I quit carrying it. Too much trouble.

I also carry a charged cell phone, doesn’t matter if it’s in service or not, because all cell phones, even if they aren't in service, will still call 911...supposedly. Good to have in case of emergencies, although I'd damn near rather die than have to accept help from a cop. I have a bad heart so I also have to carry medicine.

Because That's how I Roll!!!

E

dysaster

Reaction score
Hey guys, I didn't check all 211 entries on here so someone might have mentioned this but I didn't see it yet. I have Handwarmers with me.

In Northern Idaho (Post Falls to be exact) I was walking for hours and ended up sleeping under a bridge in late November. I had my sleeping bag, hoody and leather jacket, maybe longjohns. It was 23 degrees according to the last sign I saw and midnight. I was tired, sore and cold and didn't want to make a fire so I grabbed 1 handwarmer. I think that thing saved me, it got hot as hell and was warm for about 12 hours I think. And they're not expensive or heavy.

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
Im heading out this weekend for the rest of the summer, and just finished packing my shit up. Figured id post it up here;

-Sleeping bag
-Tarp
-Garbage bags
-Rope

-Jeans
-Basketballs shorts
-2 white tees
-4 pairs of socks
-2 Pairs boxers
-Wool sweater
-Hoodie
-Rain gear

-Headlamp
-Bandanas
-Binoculars
-Camera
-Scanner

-Can opener
-Fork, spoon
-Nailclippers
-toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss
-Pot and cup/bowl
-2L MSR water sack
-2 1L canteens

Just In Case items

-Glow stick and chemical hand warmer things
-Water purifying tablets
-Fire fuel tablets

I dont think I really missed anything. Packs a good weight, probably about 25 - 30 pounds give or take a couple pounds.

EastCoast315

Reaction score
Fuuuuck a pack thats over 25 pounds. Unless you're doing some cold cold cold winter shit (AK) then there's no reason for it.
Even if ultralite gear is more expensive, its worth it. Everything but my winter bag is super lite

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
Fuuuuck a pack thats over 25 pounds. Unless you're doing some cold cold cold winter shit (AK) then there's no reason for it.
Even if ultralite gear is more expensive, its worth it. Everything but my winter bag is super lite

I can agree with you on this for sure!
I have refined all of my gear to weigh only 17lbs (no food/water)
But aside from me personially, I see no real reason for a pack to weigh much more than about 25lbs

bmb

Reaction score
This is my own opinion, but I'm sure this is usually a rule of thumb for must of us out there, i always say the less the better. Personally, a sleeping bag,tarp and a few extra clothes go a long way. now, what usually happens to me is the colder it gets, the more shit i end up accumulating, plus i find cool clothes and shit under bridges and whatnot all the time. After doing this for years, i started to stash all my winter gear and shit that i wanna keep close at hand or at a friend's house,whatever works. I've been holding on to a pickle pack recently(i know they suck, but i like 'em nowadays) military sleep bag, tarp, poncho and a military side bag(man purse is what most people like to call 'em) i put inside the pack for personal, smaller more valuable belongings. I mentioned that I'm a clothes whore, so i got lots of shirts, pants,socks,etc. since I've been working i got a ton of shit I'm gonna have to sort thru when i head back on the road next year. But yeah, i think basically what it all comes down to is: sleeping bag,tarp,extra clothes, and whatever sentimental belongings ya got.

EastCoast315

Reaction score
Widerstand said:
You should write up a gear list.

Here's my Dozen Essentials list, the shit I always have on me for 3-season conditions:

1. titanium pot, 4 ounces
2. titanium spork, 0.4 ounces
3 40 degree northface scorpio bag, 1 pound, 6 ounces
4. Golite Lite-speed pack, 2 pounds 7 ounces
5. Microfleece blanket, 1 pound
6. Tarp from hennessey hammock, about 1 pound
7. Z Lite thermarest, 15 ounces
8. sterno
9. Finnish hunting knife
10. Extra undergarments
11. rain coat
12. All other lightweight essentials that combined weigh less than 8 ounces: Rol aids, sewing kit, firestone, local map, small length of cord, etc.

Weighs in at about ten pounds, not including food. Also, in a situation like that, on my person is: Carhart stonewash bibs unlined, boots, tee shirt, bandana, hat, flannel shirt, socks/underwear, and a copy of the Tao Te Ching.

My one week food list (yeah, I'm anal about my weight, once again):
1 loaf brown bread
6 tins of sardines in oil
1 pound of bulgar wheat
small bag of wheat germ
3 limes
Powdered muscle milk (substitute for powdered milk, theres more protein)
gunpowder green tea
instant coffee
piloncillo
honey
cheddar cheese brick wrapped in leather

not sure how much it all comes out to be in weight, but its reasonable! And nutritious

D

Deleted member 1505

Bear mace. My mom gave me hers after she finished the john muir trail last year. I dont know if I'll ever have to use it but I'm pretty happy I have it.

also tea tree oil...its got a bunch of uses.

oh and for the ladies, i suggest investing in something like this: http://www.divacup.com. These things, or similar "menstural cups" last a good while if you take care of them. Way better than carrying around a bunch of tampons...

hotsauce

Reaction score
as everyone has said, warm travel doesn't require intense packing. I learned this in my our Maui travels. I thought that I packed light. 65 lbs. doesnt feel 2 light to me. sleep pad/ bag and tent all have to be attached externally...sux when ur walkin through towns....especially Pa'ia and the west side. Too many tourists, not enough sidewalk...most bus drivers wont let u on if ur pack is too big...buss sux ne way...hitchhiking is far more efficient...Maui i would imagine that a medium sized day pack would b fine...i see a lot of travelers and woofers with these huge REI/Osprey bags tho...i wonder how they do it? not 2 mention the prices of these fancy packs....they look comfy tho

My Maui list is a lil large but workin on down sizing:

-Large pack with modular attachments

-rope

-basic utility straps (home improvement stores)

-bedroll

-sleeping bag

-water proof/repellent stuf sacks (plastic bags work 2 but you'll rip though em fast)

-tent or tarp

-matches

-rain gear

-fixed-blade knife

-towel

-pants, Shorts, and swim trunx (you'll b wearin trunx a lot)

- 2 pairs socks and skivies

-RYO stuff

-water bottles (2, 1.5 liter ones r enough for two person day trip)

-durable boots

-flippity flops (optional)

-FREEZER BAGS!!!!!

-sewing shit a must

-some cash

-waterproof headlamp / flashlight

-map is useful but not needed and is free inmost gas stations ("maui driving map")

-bus schedule

-hoodsweat

-t-shirt

-water sanitation pellets!!!!!

i think i've covered it

any other ideas are certainly welcome!!!

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
Well, I figure I could post up some pics of my current gear.

th_IMG_0542.jpg
My pack, It is just a "TimBuk2" messenger bag, about 50 liters

th_IMG_0543.jpg

th_IMG_0544.jpg

th_IMG_0545.jpg
This pic. is just things kept in the pack, Im not going to name the obvious.
In the green case is my camera and charger, The flowery blue thing is just a tin i use for a small Med. kit. And the box in the corner is a harmonica.

th_IMG_0546.jpg
Orange bag:
All pretty self explanatory, the small tube is sun lotion/bug repellent, the bottle is just multivitims, and the two little jars are water purifiers (I just think its better to have em' and not need em', then to need then and NOT have them), And the floss is just a small sewing kit.

th_IMG_0547.jpg
Sleeping pad

th_IMG_0548.jpg
Cook set

th_IMG_0549.jpg

th_IMG_0550.jpg
Maps, RR Atlas, CCG

th_IMG_0551.jpg
Change of clothes, light jacket.

th_IMG_0553.jpg
Sleeping bag, tarp

th_IMG_0554.jpg

th_IMG_0555.jpg
Forgot to put this in the original picture, but i just keep the food I carry in it.

But yeah, There are clearly some thing that I do not NEED, but i like my little luxuries, especially because they do not take up much space/weight.

All this comes out to only be about 17-18 pounds with little food and water in it.

The gear works for me, it does not strain my shoulder/back, and there is enough room to hold more food/water if need be.

Yeah, I like the way it works for me =]

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads