The Dangers of Squatting

Turtles

Reaction score
Ok so this is what my old roomate posted.

Another cold day here in Philadelphia, bored off my ass once again sitting in a coffee shop on Walnut St. Last night or yesterday (whatever) the "squat" got ransacked by some ruthless muscle heads who didn't like squatters (and honestly, who does?) I luckily avoided the blood bath that was to ensure and somewhat occured, my friend Turtles go a rude awakening by two dudes that said they were the owners of the house.. Instead of calling the police they took matters into their own hands and beat this piss out of my friend/roomate.
From what he told me they beat him with part of a wooden dresser until the board broke, he had blood all inside his ear when I saw him and an impressive bump on his noggin. When I arrived home latter that night the place was boarded up and I went next door to ask what happend with the place and the kids told me they beat up Turtles and waited all day long for me too get home to recieve an even worse beating.

I'm turtles all i can really say is be careful. I'm still pritty beat up and may have a broken rib. So if you gunna squat do it with like atleast 5 people and make sure theres no less then 2 or 3 people there at a time.

jabbyscabby

Reaction score
make some booby traps ha.... no on a serious note, i like to always have one person up and switch shifts...cuz it sucks when you wake up to your shit gone or a gun pointed at your head!!!

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
uhhh yeah thats why if im not sure the place is secure and that i have some buddies with me i find me a nice field.

maus

Reaction score
holy fuck.

man, it would sure be too bad if anything happened to those ruthless motherfuckers' house now that youre not living there anymore.

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
i always feel uncomfortable in empty houses alone too especially cuz i'm female. i had to sleep alone in this house we had in van once & there where junkies upstairs cooking up their shit in the kitchen. i locked the downstairs door & slept in the room with a lock on the door & bars on the window. i hardly got any sleep that night.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
My dog works really well as an alarm. He's not yappy but he will let me know in a hurry if someone's trying to come into a place were sleeping at night. And he's very possessive of his personal space. He kept someone from coming through a window a year or so ago at a place we were staying. Usually I don't like to squat in the cities though because of the risk and because I like to stay solo. I've also got this extra-large can of pepper spray if anyone gets past the dog.

Geoff

Reaction score
used to have a knife on my person in my old squat and a baseball bat by the bed. There were only two of us staying there at the time but I never felt too unsafe. And i have a dog now so i have an alarm.

Turtles

Reaction score
what sucks is i lost my walet and like half my shit kuz they caught me off guard and weren't about to let me keep my stuff i had a smiley and a knife but i didnt grab eather when i got up kuz i wasnt sure who it was we knew the kids that rented the house next door and i was thinkin it might of been them but i was very wrong but now im slightly healed up and hoping my friends from next door can get my shit back hopefuly next time ill remeber to be more careful

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
the worse i ever got was scared shitless by a friend trying to pry the door open to come give us a wake n bake...

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
Shit man, I remember when this went down. Me and Korey were in the flophouse next door smoking a blunt, and heard all the fucking ruckus through the wall. Korey busted out the machete and ran into the street to see what was going down. When we got outside, there were like 5 dudes standing outside the squat with bats and gats. I went into the squat from the backdoor, but no one was there. I never did get a chance to ask where you escaped to. Did you go to Jess and Dugan's? We never even saw Kevin after that.

Turtles

Reaction score
a little update i got all my shit back from there about a month ago all i had to do was kick in the front door it worked out very well

Loaf

Reaction score
Try 100 British Riot Police with bruised egos. You lot should carry around some heavy duty locks with ya! Good to hear you got your shit back and you made it out alive. Helps to know about the owner first sometimes I guess.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ugh... i couldnt imagine waking up to base ball bats or pissed off cops. I'm very under the radar when i sleep.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads