The Dangers of Squatting

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Regarding trashing a place: a handsaw.Almost all doorways on rowhouse construction are load bearing.Cutting out a foot of frame on either side of a doorway(start on the top floor) renders the entire structure unstable and compleatly unlivable,as well as subject to a immediate condemnation notice from the locals.Amazing what you learn doing reno work on old hoses,isn't it?

hartage

Reaction score
Hmm..... this is making my mind think of the possibilities....... I have a twisted idea. Get a couple of your friends with camcorders and cell phones to hide somewhere and film everything. Get yourself found by them and beat-up just make sure your friends get it all on film. Use more than one camera just in case. While you are getting beat have the friends call 911 and report someone waving a gun around. That gets the cops there faster than just a beat-up. When they get there swear up and down from a distance it looked like they had a gun. Anyways, you have it on tape now and a police report. Go to the hospital and rack up some bills to show damages. Sue the crap out of the landowner that beat you up. Since it is a criminal act you can ask for punitive damages which is 10 times actual damages. So lets say your hospital bill is 5k (easy, just for being brought to er) then you can be awarded pain and suffering with the hospital bill let's say the jury awards you 10k. Punitive damage award is on top of that and can be 10x the actual damages. Which means you can be awarded 110k from getting beat up. You could own that property he beat you up on. Wouldn't that be ironic ?

Ahem, as a disclaimer I present this idea to you as an idea in jest and in no way is suggesting actually doing this. Nor do I guarantee that it will happen as the idea is laid out.

genghis braun

Reaction score
wouldn't the fact that he's trespassing make it harder to sue, though? not saying that someone should do this-I'm just interested in the way the law works when it comes to shit like this.

hartage

Reaction score
wouldn't the fact that he's trespassing make it harder to sue, though? not saying that someone should do this-I'm just interested in the way the law works when it comes to shit like this.

NOPE, won't make a difference at all. Sure he might get popped for trespassing so what ? 5hrs community service and it's over. This is valid in most states. If a burglar steps into your house and slips on a skateboard left on the floor in the dark and breaks his arm/leg he can sue you and win. It's been done before, it's one of the first things you learn in the most basic law courses even business law. The property owner has responsibility to provide a safe environment to ANYBODY on his premises even to burglars. So two grown men beating the tar out of ONE person that was not being aggressive and is not even fighting back. Catch that on tape and not only will those two adults be thrown in jail. You can rape them in civil court and maybe come out owning that house. Much like Rodney king and his beating. Sure he ran from the police, sure he's a criminal. Sure usually cops get away with doing exactly the same thing hundreds of times before. But catch it on tape and that changes EVERYTHING.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads