2009 Jamboree - StP Fest III - Slab City, CA; Oct 8th-11th 2009 | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

2009 Jamboree StP Fest III - Slab City, CA; Oct 8th-11th 2009

This thread prefix is for threads related to the 2009 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dameon

Reaction score
For getting there from the north, I'd recommend considering taking I-10 east out of LA and getting off at Indio, then hitching down the 111 to Niland (you'll have to walk a few miles). Last time I did this, it took a couple hours to get a ride down the 111, but just about anyody going to Slab City will pick you up, and people are always going there. At Niland, assuming you didn't get a right straight to the slabs, any local will point the way, and if you start walking there (it's only a few miles out) almost anybody driving out there will pick you up.

If you go all the way down to San Diego to hitch the 8 to El Centro then back up, it's kind of a roundabout way of getting there, and I've found I-10 to be generally easier to hitch than I-8 (lots more traffic). For hitching east out of LA on the I-10, check out this thread: http://squattheplanet.com/getting-there/hitchhiking/4741-need-socal-hitching-info-ask-me.html

Oh, and like MURT said, get food stamps if you can, or at least bring enough food to last you a few days. Hit up a food bank or something. And I can't emphasize enough: WATER. It is freakin' HOT out there right now (100+ degrees at this point of time, and don't expect that to change much), and the nearest source of water will be Niland, which is a few miles away (long walk without water). I'd bring at least three gallons, one for each day. And much as I hate sunscreen, I'd recommend it unless you want to leave Slab City red as a lobster. Know the signs of heat stroke and hyperthermia, and how to avoid both.

Remember folks, you're going to be in the desert, and while the rest of us won't let you die, we shouldn't have to be responsible for keeping your ass alive.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
oh and PLEASE remember even though rain is most likely not going to happen tarps are a good idea for shade. i doubt there's going to be a first class patio with misters there to keep ya cool haha

drunken marauder

Reaction score
So I was gonna try to tie this in to Murts post but didnt want to use the whole thing... I dont know what all states ebt cards work in CA but I know mine from MI doesnt and I dont qualify here so yea just a thought...

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ugh....junk food...you dont want it but you buy it then forcefully eat it because it was rediculously expensive....ugh.

N

NickCofphee

For getting there from the north, I'd recommend considering taking I-10 east out of LA and getting off at Indio, then hitching down the 111 to Niland (you'll have to walk a few miles). Last time I did this, it took a couple hours to get a ride down the 111, but just about anyody going to Slab City will pick you up, and people are always going there. At Niland, assuming you didn't get a right straight to the slabs, any local will point the way, and if you start walking there (it's only a few miles out) almost anybody driving out there will pick you up.

Or even better, get off in Indio at Golf Center Parkway exit and make a right down Golf Center Parkway. (you pass my old high school!) It's one mile to highway 111, see if your ride can take you there to 111/Flower St. There's a bus depot. The bus is only $1. Take the line 91 towards "Ave 66 and Middleton". Get off at "Ave. 66 @ library" in Mecca. Highway 111 is about 500 feet west of here just across the railroad tracks. This bus runs from 5:00AM to 8:00PM on weekdays.........5:27AM to 7:27PM on weekends.

This will make it much easier, as you are basically in farm country out here and also 13 miles closer. There is very little between here and Niland. If you try hitching through Indio, you will have lots of houses and shopping centers, lights, etc.

On another note, many GM trains seem to stop here as well from Colton. I've sided right here twice.

drunken marauder

Reaction score
Rash and I should be there or at least that is the plan.... Plans hahahahhaaaaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads