n00bs...and why we should welcome them

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
I've heard a lot of stuff from the folk lately about how we shouldn't do things like make zines, or post on websites, or even talk about really, how to get started living this sort of lifestyle.

Don't teach people how to dumpster dive, or there'll be no goodies left for us, don't talk about squatting or they'll all get blown, etc, etc.

Can't you people see that this isn't a logical way of thinking?

I can understand you not wanting a bunch of oogles running around fucking things up for you in places where you've got good situations. But that doesn't mean we should stop trying to convert people to a life that obviously moves the world in a better direction.

You know what happens when we get people scavenging and forgaging? Maybe they see that it's illogical for food to be locked up, and we get more of a free economy when it comes to the basics.

You know what happens when you move people into empty houses? People stop honoring bank foreclosures and move the fuck back into their HOMES and stop seeing a roof and warmth as a luxury. Maybe they start seeing it as a right that they'd fight to protect.

I'm SO SICK of this crustier-than-thou, I've-got-this-many-miles-under-my-belt, pretentious, fucking asshole attitude that some of these kids have. It's not a secret club. Everyone is allowed.

Most people live this way for a reason. Travelers have all kinds of personal politics, but I think most of us share common views on certain things.

Most of us don't like basic necessities being withheld in order to force the people in this culture to be submissive, complacent, overstimulated slaves, AFRAID of not being warm and fed and loved, forever oppressed by a faceless government puppeted by the rich greedy CEOS of demonic corporate entities that destroy the planet and make the world a generally shitty place to live.

When we find a way not to participate in all that bullshit so much, we shouldn't hoard it for ourselves.

We should all spread the message that there's hope for freedom in this life.

john1158

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
iam way way way more likely to share info and stuff in person than iam online or in a public place online......
thats just me thoe.....
at the same time it would have been really nice when i 1st stared to have a nice resorce like this site....
i dont think you need a website to figure it out thoe.....

gregk

Reaction score
well said! i'm with you on that and keep speaking your mind dont worry for a second if there are those that dont like what you say. i'm a member on another site for 3.5 yrs and have allmost 10k posts and i'm known to say whats on my mind and i'm comforatable doing so there. if i wasnt i wouldnt still be a member!

bote

Reaction score
I agree that friendliness is good. On the other hand, I think sometimes if something comes too easy or is put in a nice, safe package, it makes it less interesting.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I'm always willing to help someone out if they just ask. However if I get a retarded pm from someone who obviously doesn't have a clue what they're talking about, I'm less likely to send them info because I don't feel that they have enough real life experience to put it to good use. Also, if a community like this one gets totally run over by the "I'm 17, have never traveled before and am looking for someone to come babysit me and show me everything," crowd, then the whole point is kinda defeated. For a community such as this one we need people to contribute to the general knowedge pool, not just drink off it. Doesn't mean you have to contribute a shit ton, but a little more than "I need someone to show me everything and hold my hand through it so I can live out my own personal dreams of freedom on their time" would be nice.

and oh ya, fuck all ya'll oogles...

just go out and do it, get off the fucking computer already.

AND NO!!! I don't want to listen to any more Philly punk.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
None of us are as we started .Forgive an old fart,but I feel that this site sould welcome anyone that comes seeking,as it is the right of the uninformed to seek ansewers,and the duty of those that are out in the world to provide those ansewers if they can.The successful nomadic cultures(think Mongol,Rom,Commanche)have always been open to the natural ossmosis of ideas and people.If we find ourselves unable to do more than say "Hello and good luck";fine!No one is espousing feeding the no doubt hordes of drainbows,trustifarians,and generic "On The Road" posers that will fall by the wayside at the first hint of difficuty.What I hope for is the free exchange of information by a free people.Some of those people have little experience,but heart and sinew and soul ready for what will be a task that few have the courage to see to its end.
So,no matter how "green" the person is,I'd like to say a resounding "HOWDY!".We can find out if they are worth the time of day as they make themselves know by their words and their deeds,but don't shut them out just because they are new.
Lee Byiers,approching the 2 million mile mark as a rubbertramp/hitcher/trainhopper,citizen of the world.

PS,could someone define "oogle"?Is it a wannabe that does all the risktaking online?

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Not to disagree with you, but I thought we more often used the term 'oogles' to describe, not noobs, but stupid people who make stupid decisions as a result of not caring about others and sometimes not even themselves, regardless of experience. I figure you are talking about people out in the real world, since on this forum, they can always search it. Anyway, I actually do welcome noobs, but I usually require them to first go hitchhiking if they want to trainhop. If they can't do that, then I figure it's not for them. A coward is not going to be any good on the rails, or anywhere really.

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
hitchhiking with nickcofphee in fresno was way more difficult than train hopping!

anyway, i think spreading a message about this lifestyle isn't going to do much. the majority of society views squatters/trainhoppers/etc as freaks, insane, hopeless, etc. it would take a monumental amount of convincing to sway the public opinion. recreational trainhopping is the only somewhat mainstream thing ive noticed.

since im a noob to the scene, im thankful that there were people who showed me some things. but its not for everyone.

most of it isn't even for me! :(

Rash L

Reaction score
its not for everyone... but ONE person at a time...
I think personal conversations get more across in a better way. This site has helped me out a lot on some of the finer details, and I'm sure its helped others as well, so I think its a good source for information for those who already know they want to travel, but want to learn more about the various lifestyles that include traveling with little to no cash flow. noobs arent bad, as long as they are willing to learn and take the time I guess.

Livingpastense

Reaction score
hitchhiking with nickcofphee in fresno was way more difficult than train hopping!

anyway, i think spreading a message about this lifestyle isn't going to do much. the majority of society views squatters/trainhoppers/etc as freaks, insane, hopeless, etc. it would take a monumental amount of convincing to sway the public opinion. recreational trainhopping is the only somewhat mainstream thing ive noticed.

since im a noob to the scene, im thankful that there were people who showed me some things. but its not for everyone.

most of it isn't even for me! :(

i think hitching is way harder than hopping anyday

hartage

Reaction score
What is the alternative to free dissemination of information ? Hogging is information control. A tool used by those in power to oppress those that are not. Funny how some people (not on this thread) will rail against oppression and elitism but given the chance are themselves oppressors and elitists.

If anything should be free to everyone it should be information.

stove

Reaction score
I'm with ya mkirby, with a slight nod to acknowledge that it is possible for some info to become TOO easy. Look at Hitchwiki: it's a great resource for hitching (more in europe), but the people whom started out with it never learned to scout a good hitching spot on their own. I absolutely do no believe in censorship, but sadly some folks will take what they can and then get screwed when they are on their own. How many of you know squatters whom didn't know how to scout/set up a squat, or trainriders whom can't scout a yard, or dudes/chicks on the road without a tarp, because nobody told them it might rain? I'm not saying this info should be restricted, but it's a delicate balance to RESPONSIBLY disseminate some info, especially when misuse will get not only get the oogle busted, but also blow up the squat/dumpster/jungle/scam w/e. Just a small counterpoint, not saying that I have any sort of solution.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
What is the alternative to free dissemination of information ? Hogging is information control. A tool used by those in power to oppress those that are not. Funny how some people (not on this thread) will rail against oppression and elitism but given the chance are themselves oppressors and elitists.

If anything should be free to everyone it should be information.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I have some medical techniques that I'm not going to share because it is not a do-no-harm protocol, and you have to know what you're doing when you do it, else it makes things worse- is that oppression or elitism? And I'm not going to teach everyone how to make knives because it takes hours and I have no obligation to give random people my time. I really hate people who think I owe them something for just existing.

hartage

Reaction score
Widerstand said:
Give some examples.

As I said "not from this thread" I'm going by what mkirby posted

I've heard a lot of stuff from the folk lately about how we shouldn't do things like make zines, or post on websites, or even talk about really, how to get started living this sort of lifestyle.

Don't teach people how to dumpster dive, or there'll be no goodies left for us, don't talk about squatting or they'll all get blown, etc, etc.

Can't you people see that this isn't a logical way of thinking?

I can understand you not wanting a bunch of oogles running around fucking things up for you in places where you've got good situations. But that doesn't mean we should stop trying to convert people to a life that obviously moves the world in a better direction.

You know what happens when we get people scavenging and forgaging? Maybe they see that it's illogical for food to be locked up, and we get more of a free economy when it comes to the basics.

You know what happens when you move people into empty houses? People stop honoring bank foreclosures and move the fuck back into their HOMES and stop seeing a roof and warmth as a luxury. Maybe they start seeing it as a right that they'd fight to protect.

I'm SO SICK of this crustier-than-thou, I've-got-this-many-miles-under-my-belt, pretentious, fucking asshole attitude that some of these kids have. It's not a secret club. Everyone is allowed.

Not teaching others how to dumpsterdive for fear of less for themselves = it's ok for another to starve as long as I have more. Witholding knowledge for personal gain or your own group's gain is no different that what the "system" , bankers, (insert oppresive group name here) does to us that so many rail about.

hartage

Reaction score
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I have some medical techniques that I'm not going to share because it is not a do-no-harm protocol, and you have to know what you're doing when you do it, else it makes things worse- is that oppression or elitism?

Aw c'mon, apples and oranges. Not showing someone how to hurt other people by attempting a risky medical procedure is very, very different than not showing how to dumpster dive for fear of less resources for themselves.

On that point though. I believe in regulating those that are allowed to attempt the procedure to those "certified" only. But I still believe the information on the mechanics behind the procedure and the procedure itself should remain free.

There are many justifications for censorship. But ultimately it is censorship.

And I'm not going to teach everyone how to make knives because it takes hours and I have no obligation to give random people my time. I really hate people who think I owe them something for just existing.

Hence the internet, books, zines and other publications. I never said it should take up your time to teach individually. Just to make the information available to others and not withhold it given a choice between the two for reasons of self interest.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads