n00bs...and why we should welcome them

I

IBRRHOBO

i'd just put the banned tag because wider had said to get back on point and the horse and it was beating a dead horse.

mod? oh, hell no! can you imagine me as a mod? loose cannon w/a fire at will card? bah ha ha!

like the new avatar!

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
haha yeah... and thank you :) I think it works well with me. plus it's halloween spirit haha

T

theflatoftheland

Kida_x.gif

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Wow, this was a kick ass thread, then hartage had to get all grade school on everyone. No more. Any further responses in a negative/flaming/slanderous manner will be met with a permanent ban, and I might just delete those posts altogether from this otherwise awesome thread. I'm tired of the bullshit (mostly on hartages part).

A note to the curious: regarding system security, hartage clearly has no idea what he's talking about. None whatsoever. I've come to this decision based not only on his posts, but after talking to him in person on the subject. I would simply LOVE to watch him try. The only reason I mention this is because I get irritated when people spew a bunch of shit they know nothing about.

In other news, before all this bs started, I think there is a TON of positive shit coming out of this thread, and I plan look back on it as a reference when shaping StP's future... Thanks for starting it mkirby!

Now, my two cents: some knowledge is free, other knowledge is earned. All noobs deserve at least a point in the right direction, from there, it's up to them to continue the journey. Aka: search before posting! Hehehe

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
i think that it's really important for seasoned travelers to teach the the "noobs" or whateverthefuck you want to call em about our lifestyle and to teach them the right way to do shit. not only should we teach these folks but we should teach them "safety" so to say. like to keep your mouth shut about things and to not be seen while dumpstering, train rideing, squatting, shoplifting, whatever.....
i had a friend who took me on the second train i ever rode tell me the three limb rule as he calls it, always keep three of your limbs on the train at all times so not to lose balance and fall off. that's something i tell kids who are new at rideing because i don't want to hear about how some dumb young kid lost a arm while hoping from one car to another.
or tell folks where cameras are in stores or where the blind spots are. because i think to keep us all going we need to stay invisible in a sence so to teach these new folks how to not be seen keeps us all safe.
don't just refuse to disclose info to new folks cuz they don't know anything, teach them the things that keep you from getting caught.

Exactly.

Calm the fuck down hartage.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
lol okay guys, leave the guy alone. he's been burned bad enough and he had the respect to stop okay? now, mkirby...what exactly do you wish to learn or have us help others new to stp learn? give us some pointers or direction?

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
I wasn't talking specifically about stp, but the traveler community in general.

In a nutshell, everyone who didn't grow up on a GDF bus was new to this once, and we shouldn't be shy about showing newbies the ropes (how to find food, shelter, spanging techniques, trainhopping safety etc.) Let's increase our numbers, folks.

However it's totally reasonable to not want to show someone YOUR squat or anything of that nature, where giving someone information about it could make your life a drag.

Obviously it's not required that you teach anyone anything. Everyone is free to do whatever they want. Maybe I'm just a goddamn hippie, but I think it's beneficial to everybody when we help each other out.

I'm not saying everyone should become a babysitter, but advice to someone who's having a hard time now and then is really nice. I'm sure everyone remembers the people that helped them out when they first started.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Know how I learned? I watched and listened. I almost never asked questions because the people I learned from would have scoffed at me. I never let anyone know I had no idea what I was doing. I just followed along, observed, learned from experience, and payed close attention to my common sense. Eventually, I learned all I needed to without dealing with people wragging on me for asking stupid questions or not wanting to hang out with me just because i was new. Basically what I'm saying is all questions will be answered, you dont have to rush. And with enough respect you can go very far.

I

IBRRHOBO

my learning is/has been (as i am still learning) twofold (and is primarily dealing w/trains): first thing i did was decide that i wanted to ride. then i sat down and determined what i could do to learn about it. got some maps, researched what i could on the net (wasn't really that wide open back then) and took a hop. i stumbled across some hobos in KC and camped there for a bit. it is amazing how much i learned by clinging to every word they spoke (not saying it's that way today, though). i then started to incorporate what worked w/my mission and after running into some of the same faces over the first year a kinship began. it was then that they (yukon jack and mountain mike) decided to 'put me under the wing' for a season.

i am guessing, but i figure it might be the same for say squatting or perhaps in the anarchist community. just because i ride doesn't necessarily mean that if i roll up say in NOLA folks are gonna pass out the 'down low' on squatting. first, it's a different culture; in this i mean that in a [insert here boxcar while moving, hobo jungle, etc.] i can raise T total hell, piss and shit out the door, etc. i would guess that in a squat this wouldn't be tolerated. first, the raising hell would attract attention, building a fire in a structure (uncontained) wouldn't be prudent, entry/access is timed, etc. see, jungles come and go, but a GOOD squat may be one person's ONLY hope of maintaining ties say to a community, working a job, or whatever. so, if i didn't try to research this in advance (and some of it is common sense) chances are i'd get my ass kicked and worse do irreparable damage to someone (yes, i've had my ass kicked and the future looks pretty bright that it will happen again before i die bah ha ha :) ).

also, when i show that i have done at least some legwork in researching on my own it goes to credibility. cred is a BIG part of any community.

taking the anarchist community for an example if i am truly interested in becoming involved in it i would probably pick up some primers on it and read about what it is about. i wouldn't come in spouting a bunch of punk rock slogans or praising recent republican decisions in congress.

i would also add that i am guilty of getting caught up in the fight here and want to apologize to all involved. if i don't do that then how can i sit on my pedestal and accuse others of that which i have done? sometimes, in my old ways, i tend to not see the bigger picture and cling, instead, to the obstinate roll of being the dog you can't teach old tricks to. this was and IS a good thread and for at least my part i devolved part of it into an unnecessary brawl.

Reaction score
Alright , so first off Pigpen was awesome , and i am very grateful for the people who started recording Music.
Interesting debate throughout and within. At one point i even felt like unregistering and just walking out the door. (literally the door to outside)
To anyone who has stuck through reading this ; Congratulations this is the last thread for the momment of now.

It's really something else man , do yew think that people will ever start giving each other the extra food they produce for free?
or sharing land with a family or three etc...... to grow food for say ....the surrounding area
build our own damn homes

but we already have so much developed.
All the people who have ever helped, helped o so well hopefully for everyone
Whether or not yew have thrown yourself out into the dirt or been led with a hand

./....and i mean man who really comes here with the notion of being truley spoon fed?
Aren't we here for independence? self reliance and togetherness with the immediate people around yew?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads