Bad Experiences with Rides while Hitching?

elokupa

Reaction score
i once got into a van with 3 iranian guys. i got freaked out when one started showing me his collections of 20+ arabic knives/swords, nothing came of it though. At the end of the ride he even gave me one of them. Got confiscated by swiss police 2 weeks later:(

mallpunk

Reaction score
In Georgia I had a creepy old dude driving a expensive suv tellin me bout taking guys home and suckin their dicks, how he loves big dicks so much, then he asks how big mine is and I just tell him to pull over, he did, and I got out. Thats one creep ride out of the ton of normal rides I got this summer.

zarathustra

Reaction score
Never had a weird (in a bad way) ride. Whenever I tell people that they refuse to believe it. Creepers and hitching have become connected in the mind of the public. I had two gay guys pick me up once in Wisconsin but they were completely cool. They just flat out asked me if I was okay with the fact that they were both gay when they picked me up. Talked about how they were going to see Madonna and Celine Dion. :) Never did anything creepy at all.

spearchukka

Reaction score
I was picked up in New Zealand by a bloke in a cherry red Camaro, he was already drunk and I realised this with in the first 10 km but I had been waiting for a ride for 12 hours. After another 20 minutes he cracked the seal on a fresh bottle of Jack and was taking large swigs every 10 minutes or so whilst driving like a maniac round mountain roads at speeds reaching 200kmph. I asked him several times to slow down but he seemed hell bent on scarring the shit out of me/killing us both and by the time half the bottle was gone I'd had more than enough. I told him that he had to pull over because I was about to puke. I got out with my bag and refused to get back in. He sped off leaving me on the side of Mount Cook where I waited for two days, without food before I got lift, feeling alive all the same.
A year or so later I was picked by a redneck Aussie miner in Darwin, the conversation started ok but he quickly digressed into one of the most racist rants I have ever heard that lasted over an hour before he paused for a minute, breaking the silence with "So how come your so brown......eh" Too much sun was my answer, I lied and told him both my parents were Irish but there was Romany blood in my family and he kept quiet on the subject for the rest of the journey as I pretended to have a healthy intrest in opal mining. Normally in this situation I would have fought my corner, however he was twice my size, ripped and I was in the middle of fuckin nowhere.
I waited/walked for three days in the baking sun in Lombok, Indonesia. I was eventually picked up by a labour truck and sat in the back with a dozen locals staring at me and stroking my shaved head for four hours, with no idea where I was heading, only to be dropped at the edge of a quarry miles from anywhere. I waited there all day and got on the same truck and got dropped off a third of the way back at a small village where I payed a small amount to a fisherman to take me up the coast with him. He dropped me off at a port where a bumped into a german couple with a detailed map which clearly showed the quarry 4km away.
Generally the place with the highest frequency of 'sketchy' rides I've had is Europe.
However......all bad rides have been far outnumbered by the good ones.
There have been others, I'm sure there will be more.

B

Benny

I got picked up outside of Gallup, New Mexico by a carload of jolly natives passing around a big jug of wine. We were swerving all over the road and I feared for my life that day. Luckily, they pulled over in Gallup to get more wine.

cancer

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
bein a small chicka on the road ive come into a lota dudes who think they can do whatever they want with no repercussions. ive had a few bad experiances but the last one was in denver. me and this kid i was traveling with (lice) were flying a sign to get to boulder outta denver and we were just talking about how we had no real bad car rides so far. next thing i know a car pulls over so we run up and he tells us to get in but he can only take us so far, so we take the ride. i get in the back drivers side and lice gets in the front seat. dude seems pretty cool, was a big mexican dude with lotsa DIY tats and he kept good convo going the whole time and seemed real nice, told us about his kid and things like this. he pulls over and tells us it was as far as he could take us and wishes us luck. i try to get out and the door wont open so i try the other one and that one wont open eaither so he tells us that theres child lock doors (you can only open um from the outside) and that lice has to go around to let me out. so lice gets out, (me and all our gear are all still in the car) as soon as lice shuts his door, dude drives off with me. so at first i was calm and said "dude, im still in here" and laughed a little. he completly ignored me so i said it again a little more pissed sounding this time and he looks at me and keeps driving. now im freakin out cause i know this is no accident. i pull out my knife and put it to his throat and said "pull the car over now, er yer getting cut, im not fuckin around" as soon as this happend he pulled over almost causeing an accedent got out of the car and let me out and said "i was just kidding".... i said to him "yea real funny joke you were about to get cut and i was gunna go to jail bec of it"...so i guess all i have to say is if ya get stuck in a shitty spot, just act like yer from tuff town haha. its always worked fer me.

Reactions: Avering

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
blue said:
...if your hitchin dont put on your seatbelt...

I tend to carry a small quick-release fixed blade on myself when I travel, so I don't see a reason not to wear a seat belt, especially if the car crashes during a struggle. It's only for self defense, so that way people don't realize I have it on me and it keeps sharp.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Other than the usual tweekers and gays I've never had anything too fucked up happen to me personally. However, about a month ago hitching from portland to san fran, my friend got picked up by a crazy from Methford who made him drive several stolen cars at gun point all the while talking about how "some hitchikers just turn up on milk cartons..." Eventually they had to stop for gas around mile 150 on the 5 and my friend made a mad dash for the woods.

D

dVEC

Ain't got time to tell the whole story now, but if you're a young male and you're ever around Kerrville, Texas on the 10 (just West of San Antonio) and a middle-aged white guy picks you up and offers you a hotey get the FUCK out. He'll buy you some liquor, though, if you want it, so maybe milk it a bit. Prolly won't be aggressive in the car itself.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Well, I was hitching in Cali on the I-5 near Los Banos and I had to hike pretty much for 8 hours to get to a truck stop and I got a ride with a carnival guy and the whole way there he was talking about how he got abducted by aliens and that the government is going to poison the water supply of America (he knows because it came to him in a dream) and that when he sees a savemart truck he doesnt see "savemart" he sees "save 'em Art" and he wonders if Jesus real name was Art. He also said that the government was going to burn everyone in garbage dumps again a dream. I had to get out at Pasadena haha I couldn't take anymore.

stove

Reaction score
I've only been hitchin about a year, but was going almost daily in Europe for 7 months or so...Never really had a "bad" ride, sketchiest every lift I got was a Russian trucker whom was *so* nice he insisted I sleep on his couch (had a wife and daughter, they weren't too happy to see me). Dude kept feeding me dinner, and then when I woke up the next morning breakfast. Nice as hell, not really creepy, but the first time I wasn't in control.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Wonder if was the same drunk native that gave me a ride to Anchorage from Seward? (I used to live in Seward at the Bayside Apartments)...We almost careened off the road near Moose Pass and I asked him did he want me to drive, and he said, I'm not drunk, but he smelled like Captain Morgan himself!
My funkiest ride was,...well, not a ride, but an encounter. This fat dude pulls over into a parking lot across from me and starts jacking off while he's standing up with his hood popped making it look like he was checking under the hood! He's just staring at me while I'm walking with a cardboard sign on my backpack that read "NEED FOOD". I look around at others to see if I'm the only person seeing this fat-ass doing this! Nope!....He just kept staring at me while beating his meat and there was nothing I could do! There were no doors to hide behind, no place to run out of his sights! He gets back in a follows me up the road to another parking lot where he does the same thing again! !!!Fuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!
In Louisiana I had just got off a train with another tramp and it was about 2AM in the morning and this movement caught my eye in the distance, it wound up being a naked guy (I mean buck, stark naked) hiding behind things as he followed us as we walked toward town. (He wasnt doing anything except following us naked for jollies I guess)? We eventually just ignored him and he went away and about ten minutes after we last saw him, two cop cars go rushing down the street toward where we last seen him.
my worst was probably last week in seward, a drunk native picked me up, and not only was the music this terrible 90's shit that i cant even begin to try to explain, we almost careened off the road into the ocean a few times.

thats nothing though. im just lucky.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
I keep hearing stories here and there, from dudes, who say all these drivers are wanting to suck them off, or be sucked-off, in exchange for getting a ride.
Fuck, I wait so damn long I feel like I'd be lucky to get a ride like that. At least I'd be movin'! (Might have a cock in my mouth, but still...)
I only got one ride from an openly-gay dude (and any other driver who was gay, I didn't sense it). This guy picked me up in Vancouver, WA and took me up to Seattle. Good fella, told me all about his partner, told me he needed a house-sitter for their 4 pets while he went to visit his partner next weekend in southern OR.
Then his house got broken-into a day later, and he scrapped that plan. And then he told me he had a crush on me. So it's not that I'm just too ugly!

As for cancer's story above, I've thought about how to guard against any driver departing with my bag(s) in the car or truckbed. Getting in, usually I open the door to my seat, then put my bag in the back. And getting out, pretty much same, I pull my gear out before I leave the vehicle and shut the doors. Also doesn't hurt to get a license plate number! (Though I never remember to do that.)

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
i just got into edmonton yesterday & i got a ride from kamloops to some butt fuck no where town on hwy 15. this trucker picked me up & kept trying to offer me things like food or pop in a creepy kind of way & then gave me 5$ to get something to eat at a truck stop. i got weird vibes from him & tyed to refuse the money but he forced it on me to i took it. & then a few hours down the road he pulls into a rest stop & demands a blow job from me. i'm all like hell no i'm not ok with that i'm not doing it. & he just kept pushing me about it & asking if i was serouse & i was very. i told him to drive me to the next gas station & let me out. nothing happened but i'm so sick of the creepy assholes that want sexual acts from me cuz i'm hitching alone & female. i'm not hitching alone anymore.

U

unbrokenxxgypsy

all im gonna say is when a seemingly cool dude gives you a ride and then offers to pay you to give you head and your broke.... that aint gay

skunkpit

Reaction score
and thats why i says fuck it..
i still love ridin and semi like hitching... well dont like it much unless its short distances

im gettin my license back fuck this
veg oil here i come
i wanna take charge of where i want to go these days, explore places where hitching is minimal if non existent and where no train lines go to..

tired of the douchbag hitch pickups
one older guy like 60 or something kept asking for sex or implying it on my last stop on my way out the door he hands me 20 and frisks my sack slightly somehow.. asking if i was really sure..
i just slamed the door shut and went on..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads