"Yuppie Packs" | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

"Yuppie Packs"

stove

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of different packs, for various recreational/suicidal activities. For tramping around, it's hard to beat my Osprey 35l Atmos...Zippers work, it's light, doens't sweat, carries all my shite.

For serious travel, I've got a Deuter pack which hauls EVERYTHING. I've humped gear for two people, plus strapping some stupid aussie girl's pack to the back of mine, and was still able to run pretty well. It's dull red, has a few stitch scars, and earns 0 'punk points'. Fuck if I care, I'll out-carry any of y'all.

Reactions: Psi em

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
given time your bag will look like shit so don't worry about people stealing it and if people give you hell for haveing a "fancy" pack well fuck em. i've got a MEC pack witch is fairly common in canada cuz loads of folks steal em but i payed for mine cuz i got it in the town i winter in and didn't want to fuck up shit in case i needed to "get" some shit for winter. but those who tease or fuck you around cuz you don't have a low quality pack or a army pack are just like those kids yer mommy warned you about on the school grounds. if anything it'll make hoppin easyer so you'll have the last laugh in the end.

wartomods

Reaction score
It isnot a yuppie bag, it is a fucking bag to backpack and hike, and i am pretty sure they are cheaper than any kind of alice bag in europe, if even those exist here, well maybe for army maniacs ,,,and i dont like to be associated with that

bote

Reaction score
I got messed with one time many years ago on account of my fancy-looking pack. I like having an old beater that doesnt attract attention, but Ive gone back and forth and currently have a pretty nice one. Its my house and it has to carry all my shit all over the world and maybe other peoples too.
I recommend cutting off/getting rid of unnecessary straps and junk, mec/rei packs almost always have tension straps and stuff you dont need.

has anyone ever actually used or seen someone with a bindle stick? that would be awesome and probably kind of laughable all at once.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i have like an odyssy 65 or something. not too big but can snugly fit all my crap. and its like a navy blue and dark gray so its descrete.

stove

Reaction score
has anyone ever actually used or seen someone with a bindle stick? that would be awesome and probably kind of laughable all at once.

I've made one when survival-packing in the woods to hold the goodies I pick up. It's amazing how much crap a simple bandanna can carry.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I recommend cutting off/getting rid of unnecessary straps and junk, mec/rei packs almost always have tension straps and stuff you dont need.

I actually find tension straps to be useful, mostly on account of sneaking around. As long as it doesn't get caught in everything, I'd say keep them on. If you do cut them off, they can be used to make good pouches for flashlights and tools/knives.

And in speaking of bindles, I find it a handy way to carry stuff on the handlebars of my bike with a bandanna when I don't have my backpack with me. I guess you could call it a bicycle bindlestiff?

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm in love with all the places i can clip stuff on to. i probably have more shit hanging on the outside than i have on the inside haha

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
yeah i smoked with this old hippie once in mISSOULA Last summer who was in sandals (gnarly as hell feet) long dreds, and bindle. also my friend goat used a bindle after he lost his pack in nebraska (never throw that shit on a train, never before you

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
I honestly like my old german pickle style bag than any yuppie pack I've ever seen. The ironic thing with my pack is that people are always trying to buy it off me. An old hobo in oregon offered me $50 for it once, claiming he hadn't seen one in such good in condition for like 15 yrs. The thing feels so comfortable on my back I hardly notice it. Also the canvass is nearly waterproof, I can get away without a liner in pretty much anything but a serious down pour. Definitly one of my best free box scores.

stove

Reaction score
eeeewww. get your mind out of the gutter stove haha

What fun would that be?

In regards to the *actual* topic, (and this relates back to the whole "appearances" issue), it's amazing how people can totally botch pack selection. While a 30-year old canvas ruck might look totally punk, modern inventions like Load lifters (those straps above your shoulder), compression straps (around the sides), Diamond Ripstop (self-explanatory), etc etc can be hella useful and amazing.

Oh, and my 19 ounce pack is a hell of a lot lighter than those 6 pounders out there. Nicer on the shoulders too.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
:) i love my pack. not too big to fit in a small trunk or space, but holds alot of crap.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
I am definitely a big fan of modern packs. I'm short and hefty so only certain packs work for me to haul a load around in without chafing under the armpits or killing my back. I've tried out other packs but keep going back to an Eagle Creek hiking pack that I've had for about ten years. I've also got a cheap Coleman pack that I use as a daypack during stationary periods which has been incredibly durable and comfy for its price.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
hey where are all the cheap ALICE packs coming from anyway? the last few army surp stores i was in just checking the scene out, they were trying to get 50-120 $ for them. not worth it if you ask me

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
well at the surplus store here the alice packs are around $25. try getting one in a town that is smaller...they are more desperate for customers.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads