?Which boot is "your" friend on the steel? | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

?Which boot is "your" friend on the steel?

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
I don't know how good they would be for hopping, but I've been a fan of linemans boots for a while now.

Had a pair when I worked for the cable company. Climbing up and down a ladder or a utility pole at least 20-30 times per day, and walking anywhere from 10-15(often more) miles per day was nothing once I got mine. I abused the hell out of them, and they were still in great shape six months later when they got stolen.

Mine were a set of Hoffman Duralines. Not the best out there, but still pretty good. Dropped $250 on them.

CanoeTramp

Reaction score
http://bargainsplusmore.flyingcart.com Great place to buy high-end military boots, like bates, belleville, addisons, matterhorn, and more, for half the price the goverment pays. Maybe factory seconds, but the seller dosn't state so. Alot of odd sizes and limited quanitity. Also the seller has a large ebay store.

simpletoremember

Reaction score
Second star to the right and straight on till morn
Website
myspace.com
Xtra-Tufs an Alaskan must!
I have little snow cleats for mine

2057846496_a08b07bf83.jpg

But when travelling I just bought jungle boots. I know they're shitty, but they would last me about 3 months and for $20 bucks a pair... It ain't bad, I had a pair of Docs for awhile that this housey 77 punk kid kicked down to me in Denver, but they were a little tight on my feet, so I kicked em' down to another travellin' kid.

that man

Reaction score
I just recently bought my first pair of "real" hiking boots, a pair of Asolo TPS 520's and have been very pleased with them. Without even breaking them in I was able to put 5+ mile hikes with a heavy pack on with only a couple hot spots on my foot. They are a little out of your price range but from my experience so far they seem worth it. They are damn waterproof too. I was looking at danners before these but I couldn't find a local shop that carried them.

asolo is the way to go i went on a hiking trip one time they saved my feet!

LarZ

Reaction score
I know I'll get knocked for this, but my converse all stars are still holding up pretty good. ha :)

I second this.

Don't discount simplicity.

I had a pair of the black leather high-tops and I looved them. Not exactly vegan obviously, (something I regretted, but they were second-hand) but a lot more durable than the canvas ones and also somewhat waterproof. I don't carry a lot of gear usually so I like a light, soft shoe. Never hopped in them (or at all yet) but climbed a waterfall and hiked through the jungle when I was in El Salvador. They've accompanied me on the road more than once, eventually stolen when they were still in good condition.

Cheap, durable/waterproof-ish, light, comfortable as hell. That's all I need.

farmer john

Reaction score
I second this.

Don't discount simplicity.

I had a pair of the black leather high-tops and I looved them. Not exactly vegan obviously, (something I regretted, but they were second-hand) but a lot more durable than the canvas ones and also somewhat waterproof. I don't carry a lot of gear usually so I like a light, soft shoe. Never hopped in them (or at all yet) but climbed a waterfall and hiked through the jungle when I was in El Salvador. They've accompanied me on the road more than once, eventually stolen when they were still in good condition.

Cheap, durable/waterproof-ish, light, comfortable as hell. That's all I need.

lol i just bought a pair of the leather x hi tops i like em pretty good

tallhorseman

Reaction score
Currently sporting a pair of brown Skecher Zenith - Crown boots. Comfortable, slip-on, good grip, easy to remove thanks to a zipper on the inside.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Well, typically I'm usually for sneakers for myself, since I find that high top boots can weaken your ankle, though there are some easy ways around that. I got some comfy military boots- slightly used desert types- for 25 bones and they usually go for over 200. My advice is to go check the military surplus stores for good bargains. I wish i'd known of that store sooner!

menu

Reaction score
Reactions: ABC

trotsky

Reaction score
wouldn't really go with Keens. They aren't worth the high prices... usually you can get the same thing for much, much cheaper. Like at ems keens are twice the price of everything else, even better products.

or maybe I'm biased because I go to school with that guy's daughter.

Reaction score
i swear by corcoran boots. they make military and police issue boots, and i've had a pair of their para trooper boots for about a year now. they are reinforced leather in the toe, rather than steel which i greatly prefer. doesn't get cold in the winter but takes a beating about the same. oil resistant lug sole with a 90 degree heel, like they made it for catching on the fly haha..pretty pricey (paid 135 for mine) but well worth it i believe..

farmer john

Reaction score
they are reinforced leather in the toe, rather than steel which i greatly prefer. doesn't get cold in the winter but takes a beating about the same.
take notes everyone i swear by the same reinforcement

treatment

Reaction score

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads