?Which boot is "your" friend on the steel?

Nelco

Reaction score
army issued waterproof lightweight steel toes..no logo on them..found them at a salvation army
View attachment 24249

Nelco

Reaction score
mine have metal eye ringlits for the laces..can't find any on the internet like them

makan kotoran

Reaction score
-The Sole- Sole's are really important because its the area of the boot that will get the most wear (duh). I highly suggest getting a boot with a Vibram sole. Again, i hate touting brands and shit, but Vibram soles are GUARENTEED FOR LIFE. so once you wear it out, you can bring them to a vibram sponsored shoe cobler, or send them in and get them completely re-soled FOR FREE! this is great. i have seen 10+ year old boots with new soles and it makes the boot look brand new! any boot with vibram soles will have it stamped on the bottom.

Holy Shit! that is amazing!!.
story time.. In australia we have a ridiculously amazing welfare system called centrelink. me being on stream 4 (this title is applied to the lowest, no hoping, homeless scumbags to ever tout a goonbag), comparitively I have to do almost nothing to get my money.
the time came when I had to actually do something. so i went into my local 'job club' office and copped the usual, you've missed too many appointments, failing to search for work or start study, you owe centrelink $4000 (fraud doesn't always pay). after about half an hour of procuring reasons I hadn't attended, I began to calm them further by talking about job and training perspectives, jumping at the first thing they threw at me, which was for some reason was training to get a chainsaw ticket.....
they booked in for the training course and one of the course requirements was having steel toe boots. YES!!!. suckas gotta buy 'em for me. so I went around the corner to a c-link approved store got a qoute on a pair of boots (SPF wallabee ultralights.. with vibram soles - $179) went back to job club. told them they were "safety boots", got a $175 voucher and went back to claim my free hiking boots..... I love being a dero.. looks like I have these boots for life if the soles are able to be replaced for free.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I figured I'd bring this back up since it was a good thread on boots and contains much more info than the newer thread does.

Vixious

Reaction score
I love my bates zip side combats, they wear like sneakers to me, and hold up at least 3-5 years before i need to swap em, and ony ever had one side zip ever break

baconrind

Reaction score
I go for jungle boots. That guy with the sweaty feet should get some wool socks. Or you can find a decent pair at a thrift store and just do the old switch-a-roo.

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score
Comfortable,look cool,durable,and good for kicking the shit outta someone.

Maxx

Reaction score
so this summer my old kicks started talking as soon as i made if to the west coast so i had to find something new. those boots were pretty good http://www.zappos.com/timberland-chocorua-trail-mid-with-gore-tex-membrane-brown lasted 2 years of daily wear but the tread was gone after one leaving me to eat shit constantly when walking up or down hills. traveling broke and homeless didn't provide me with many options for replacing them so i just duct taped em till i made it back east. all the while deliberating what nice new bourgeois shoes i would try to get. as for me i knew i wanted a boot that would last at least 2 years of 3-4 seasoned daily wear(goretex for summer and winter) with soles that would last as long as the rest the boot (viberam makes the best and the over the toe sole is essential). some people like steel toe but really its totally impractical if you don't actually NEED it. the steel plate just tears through the shoe and you're left with a holey shoe. anyway these are what i decide on http://www.rei.com/product/721359/vasque-wasatch-gtx-hiking-boots-mens . i know they're fucking expensive as all hell but if you jack enough shit from REI ( like $60 silk sleeping bag liners that fit in your pocket)and rack up the store credit you can get then for dirt cheap (i got mine for $30) and if you or someone you know has a membership ($20 for a lifetime, i got lucky cause my girl has one) you can get these with a warrantee so you can replace them for free when they go to shit (im hoping for 3 years).

TheLoneRat

Reaction score
Corcorans are pretty nice too. the leather's pretty tough. took a month of biking in them every day to break em in. If you have to kick the shit out of anyone/thing they're sure to withstand it and look cool in the process...however I advise against kicking the shit out of someone unless shit's real bad.

Reactions: laughingisharder

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score
are docs actually all that comfortable? I've never owned a pair, I've always thought of them as kinda just the generic everyone's got a pair punk boot. What's so great about 'em?
The have air in the sole and they usually last along time. I got a pair or the 8 hole ones but they feel wired when you first get them

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
they do last a long time, but you have to break em in first. redwings are also the shit, but it depends on what you're doing? how many miles would you walk in a day? are you riding freight or thumbing it? you can never go wrong with G.I. boots from a surplus store. i think the desert one's that you see most (tan kind of hard-swade) are the best so far for our condition (we don't live in a fucking jungle) and they have Vibram sole's (the best).
good luck on your search and who gives a shit if they look cool? all boots look like shit after a little wear and tear... i think that looks cool.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads