?Which boot is "your" friend on the steel?

Dromomania

Reaction score
I'll spend good money for my feet. Have had a pair of Danners for years, been sent back a few times to be re-soled and re-stiched.
I've been everywere in them, from the majave desert to Alaska, and some of Colorado's peaks as well. Probebly have a million miles on them by now. I think I bought them originally for $200

Reaction score
I have the issue of having really wide feet; the best boots I can find are usually 4E or higher. I had a pair of 2E danner hikers that lasted a couple years before the stitches came apart and the soles wore down. Two years ago I got some of these New Balances that come in 4E, and they've held up great. I just applied some shoegoo to a couple of worn areas and a spot where the sole was separating. By the end of winter they'll probably be done, so now I'm considering getting some redwings to try out.

View attachment 20010

Squidaroo

Reaction score
iv always enjoyed a pair of docs or grinders. they can be costly but you can find em cheap on ebay and what not... most are usually steel toe... which can be very helpful... there very durable... if you lace em up right there amazing ankle brace.... and allowed to run in. i think there pretty comfrontable but my feet our pretty rough. so i guess it depends on the foot

bob freaky

Reaction score
get a good pair of doc martians and replace the laces with para cord but take care of them with som shoe wax or get the irish setter red wings or any redwings for that matter.

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
Expensive as fuck, but the best pair of boots I ever owned were my wesco jobmasters, super comfy, totally indestructable, wore em for 5 years until they got stolen. Now I wear steel toe rangers which are pretty sweet, pretty comfy, and have given me many years of good use, but I sure do miss my wescos. Maybe I will have to good fortune to acquire another pair some day.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
got some Asolo Fugitive Gtx's and they have held up well. got me half way through the AT and still going!
i love these boots. they're light weight, durable, warm, and you don't really have to go through that "breaking in" period.

i did have to coat them with some waterproofing shit about 3 times, but it worked. too bad they don't have the vibram soles though..

Garrnutz

Reaction score
I can shred through the best boot in one summer just how my feet are. So my friends army jock dad tossed me all his old boots from the past 30 years hahahha, hell of a score. The canadian wet weather boots are solid, they are pitty much barnaclebones's but dumbed down abit.

farmer john

Reaction score
I recently resoled my pair of altamas with vibram soles… wicked nasty ive been wearing them every day for 3 years (it shows) and my thread was gone tore to shit and leather was tore the fuck up sent them off to nushoe gottem back dam it was worth it theyr better then new lol

D

Deleted member 20

Cold weather= Chipewa non steel toed, goretex lined, insulated, leather work boots with the regular style soles not the logger type with huge heel.
Hot weather= Currently dont have a suitable boot for warmer climates but will probably get a pair of newer style military surplus jungle boots(more comfortable than the vietnam era style),

farmer john

Reaction score
ya the new jungleboots are the way to go highway you wont regrett em

work fine in the winter 2 i wore em new years riding every1 elses fancy shit got wet and cold good old jungles stayed dry and stlying but then again i am young

AetherWeaver

Reaction score
Former mining town near the Front Range Sub in Col
My favorite is Carolina "Leadsman". They weigh a ton(steel toe and shank plus double layers of leather at toe and heel... saved my toes and arches more than once); but once you get them broken in you can't really feel the weight. I use them for work and hiking and have had mine for about ten years now... they are due for resoling; but no problems. I use Shoeline to get them; since I need extra wide.

I busted the sides out of the docs I owned... I couldn't get them wide enough; but they felt pretty comfortable before they died.

B

BrainDeadUnit

I have a couple pairs of Navy flight-deck approved boots by Belleville. Haven't took 'em to the rails yet, but I suspect they'll do fine.
A little polish and they'll last for hella long time. VERY comfortable and breathe well while being waterproof.

Mayor Cantrell

Reaction score
Usually the East Coast, South, or Midwest
I got myself some NOPD shitkickin' leather boots from a friend. Steel-toed, thick, yet light and seemingly durable. I'm pretty happy about them. I run through boots pretty quick. I have a tendency to find and acquire a lot of shoes from the trash all homebum-status, but these were just given to me and I hope they last awhile. They're like military boots.

ericafuckyea

Reaction score
ive had the same pair of gore-tex lined bellevilles (w/ vibram soles) for like four years now and theyre still fucking awesome. hella comfortable, durable, warm enough in the winter and oddly not too gross to wear in the summer. the tread is good too, and theyre not steel toes but im sure they'd feel like it were they to make contact w/ your face. :p got them for nine dollars at an army surplus store, the only pair they had, and in a womens size six no less.

Found a pictures. It's these ones, and they're awesome. 700ST waterproof.
9.jpg

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
i had lots of lifetime guarenteed boot crap, and busted em in 6 mo. I sware by carolinas. they have parafin wax pressed into them. i walked the soles out of em traveling, and working on the oil rigs.[vibram]. i even pasturized water in them once over a fire. ya they'll burn if your dumb, and don't be carefull.[wax is fuel]' also i wonder if the overflow of the wax can have a bunch of uses if scraped off the outside.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads