longest rides ever!!!!!!!!!! | Squat the Planet

longest rides ever!!!!!!!!!!

tunnel

Reaction score
post your longest rides.

i had a ride from calgary to downtown montreal.

3700km!!

and I would like to hear some more outrageously long rides.

spoorprint

Reaction score
Placerville California to Goodland Kansas, after the 1989 SAn Francisco Anarchist conference.
Trouble was the driver was on crank (which was new then), said he had been up for days,
and wanted me to reassure him that the car antennae really was vibrating (it wasn't).

After a couple days(?) of no real sleep I lost track of time and started to get paranoid too-there had been posters
all over San Fran from Grateful Dead security claiming a member of the Minuteman militia was planning to kill Jerry Garcia.When I realized the car doors had been tampered with-big pieces of duct tape about where the locks should be-I started wondering if this was him.

I tried to get out while he was in a drug store in Boulder (?). But realized all my stuff was spread all over the way back.Shouldn't have been so afraid to give offense.

Finally he decided to stop at a motel in Goodland . I was surprised to find he was just as paranoid of me as I was of him.He explained that after some time in prison he didn't like sleeping in a room with other guys, so he paid for a motel room for me.

In the middle of the night a thunderstorm came up and the power went out.I heard him tapping on my door saying he wanted to get started again. I pretended I didn't hear him and went back to sleep.

In the morning he was gone.I got a bus the rest of the way home.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Maryland (ugh) to Indianapolis! I got a ride from this insane but friendly Vietnam vet hippie who had all this pictures of his friends and himself in 'Nam in his car and some even on his cap. The back seat was ripped out, to save on weight so he would've saved on gas if it weren't for my friend and me. That was the longest single hitch I've ever had. Even though he didn't really talk about i, it turns out that he was a long range recon patrol soldier (meaning no backup at all) and the only one of his unit to come back.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
Indio CA to Flagstaff AZ. With a sign for Phoenix! Got a lunch out of it too.

Santa Cruz to LA (on 101 most of it) shitty music with a subwoofer against the back and sitting with my pack on my lap and 3 in the back seat it was a looong ride.

Stockton CA to Salem OR with a quiet and friendly trucker.

zarathustra

Reaction score
Someplace around Bismarck to Seattle, with a 57 year old British nanny who drove a Jimmy she claimed "may or may not be a little bit stolen from my ex" (imagine that one with a british air)

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
slc to saint remis quebec, around then also from state college PA to mojave
on trains-anything more that cc to cc sux in my opinion, stop and smell the flowers!!

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
David Milgaard gave me a ride from Revelstoke to Winnipeg about 8 years ago. We went north from Calgary, on to the Yellowhead so we could visit friend of his locked up in a native healing center place. He even let me drive his car a lot of the time. We stayed in hotels (he paid) and drank every day in pubs for a week. Glad to have met the man, it taught some about my freedom.

S

Spiral Girl

hitching out of BOOM festival, Castelo Branco, Portugal, s with atanding by the road with a sign that said ANYWHERE, i ended up with a big red bus and one ride all the way to Berlin, Germany. yeww
2570kms............

D

dVEC

Asheville, NC -> Jackson, MI (trucker)
Tucumcari, NM -> LA, CA ("shopper")
Denver, CO - > Des Moines, IA (cool trucker, got me high and gave me his number if I ever get stuck)

Not sure which of those is longest, but they're all at least 1,000 mi.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
north carolina to arkansas by a truck driver.
or - north florida to baltimore in one ride.

Dmac

Reaction score
feyeteville NC, to omaha NE, 21 hours, i ride, hitchin'.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads