longest rides ever!!!!!!!!!!

S

soodoenim

The longest ride I ever got was from just outside of Scranton, PA to San Francisco, CA. I was walking on I-80 with a sign that said "COLORADO" on it, and this guy was driving a BMW across the country. He stopped about a mile ahead of me, and rearranged his stuff. By the time I got to him, he was waiting for me with an empty front seat.

He let me drive, and he put us up in hotel rooms the way out. He also had ounces of weed in the center console of his car. I helped him move into his place in Napa, and we parted ways on Hippie Hill after forties.

Chel

Reaction score
Not distance wise, but time wise, my first hop was hellish.
After missing a train the night we got there to about 14 drunk ass kids, we finally got one two days later.
After hopping on, some shit was left (IE-Methadone and a passport) and the chick who was taking us started flipping shit.
Long story short, I sat on that train, bored as fuck in the yard with 2 equally agro brauds for about 3 days until it aired up and took off.
Being as I was green as fuck when it came to freight, I sat there the entire time.
It was junk, and took us about a day and a half to go from LA to SLO town.
Shittiest ride EVER.

F

FilXeno

I think this is my first post here, but i've been lurking for quite a while.

I got a truck from Buffalo to the 80/25 intersection in wyoming.
and we zig zagged a bit, so it was about 2000 miles.

Best part was that he was hauling automobiles, so at night, he'd let me climb into the back seat of a brand-new SUV to sleep.

Reaction score
On my way back to Atlanta from the STP fest, these two super cool truckers gave me a ride from Coachella, CA to Dallas, TX all in one go. 1300 miles nonstop except for refueling. Awesome.

narstypants

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My first long ride was after a very cold 6 hour wait in Nipegon, ontario with my boyfriend and my dog, a very insane but extreamly nice french guy and drove us all the way to Sicamous BC.

Then coming back east, while standing somewhere on the trans canada in the middle of calgary (cause the damn thing goes right threw the center of the city, its almost as bad as montreal) , arguing about how we'll never get out of that city, a trucker honked his horn and pulled over, drove us all the way to Whitby Ontario.

we slept on the back of his flatbed, and he made us sing songs all night to keep him awake...
the only song we knew that he knew was Country Roads by john denver...

M

Monkeywrench

Lengthwise, not too impressive. From Orlando, FL to the border of GA. But it was all while sitting next to one of the most scary fucking evangelist Christians I think I've ever experienced in my years on the road. Terrible rides can feel like an eternity, no matter how long the distance in miles. Ugh.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
low priority i.m. van > t.dot 5000k 5 days.. straight

5 days straight on one ride..I would lose my fucking mind!

Longest hitch straight - Halifax Nova Scotia to outside of Ottawa - about 1500kms. They actually went out of there way to drive me right home.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
Got another long one..

Winnipeg, MB to Toronto, ON on CN doublestack.. 42 hours, about 2300km. Cold ride, but it got colder after we got through so I guess we got lucky.

genghis braun

Reaction score
I got a ride from Fayetteville NC to Ocala, FL (just one hour south of Gainesville) in an RV. waited about 30 minutes for it. Goddamn I was so happy to get out of Fayetteville and get back home.

rusty

Reaction score
what felt like the longest ride of my life only last about 6 hours. left worchester on a csx IM last january, was headin to chicago.

it was about 30 degrees when i left the yard(not bad). lost one of our sleeping bags while gettin on the train on the fly. froze my face off sharing a sleepin bag with my boy tomtom who still cant feel his fingers or toes. we got off in syracuse NY. 30 degrees is a heat like a heat wave up there...apparently it was 20 below in chicago that week. glad i got off when i did.

rusty

Reaction score
Not distance wise, but time wise, my first hop was hellish.
After missing a train the night we got there to about 14 drunk ass kids, we finally got one two days later.
After hopping on, some shit was left (IE-Methadone and a passport) and the chick who was taking us started flipping shit.
Long story short, I sat on that train, bored as fuck in the yard with 2 equally agro brauds for about 3 days until it aired up and took off.
Being as I was green as fuck when it came to freight, I sat there the entire time.
It was junk, and took us about a day and a half to go from LA to SLO town.
Shittiest ride EVER.

sounds similiar to my first ride. waited in a yard for 3 days tryin to get from prov to worchester lmao. the P&W wasnt runnin the first two days, missed it on day 3. me being impaitent said fuck it! im gettin on the next goddamn train i see.

it was a south bound train. goinggg nowhereee. left us off two miles down the track in the wrong direction >_<

sparkandstir

Reaction score
Calais France to Cartama in Southern Spain - 2135km... It was about 30 hours with a guy who was drinking endless coffee and dropping amphetamines. I'd barely slept the night before and he made me stay awake the whole time... Hit the come down on the Spanish and I had about 10 hours of really dark stories whilst slightly losing my mind from sleep deprivation and had almost convinced myself that I was a tarot card at one point. When we got to Southern Spain I remembered this thing I'd heard about peadophile rings there, and when I stepped into a bar with a bunch of strange looking men I almost would have turned and ran away if I wasn't a spectre of dead electricity by that point. So I ended up staying, got a job with him building a house on a mountain but got sick of their lechery and the dead culture of ex-pat Southern Spain, dodgy bars and trying to take me to a brothel, so I left and went to Morocco... which is another story.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
sparkandstir, I hear you about losing your mind and needing to get away from that.
Just once, I want to tell my driver that I'd like to be dropped off because I'm sick of hearing him talking about how women he's had on the road, or sick of hearing him make racist comments as if he's expect my support in that. Problem is, to get that ride, and get it safely, the hitcher can't really go a whole lot but grin and bear it. But it feels wrong to just sit there and listen to white people hate on natives, or natives hate on more recent immigrants, etc.

GutterGrayse

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I rode with a hippie bus from Tempe, Arizona to Olympia, Washington. Took the long route through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. That was kinda fun. But I dunno, I don't prefer hitching. To each their own, I suppose.

CooperBoo

Reaction score
Greensboro NC to Baltimore Maryland
this kid had a job interview for some youth group in richmond virginia and another one the next day in baltimore, so he drove us to richmond dropped us off, we spent the night and then pick us up the next day and drove us all the way into baltimore! baltimore sucks!

tallhorseman

Reaction score
A friend of mine bought a 650 Triumph Bonneville during Daytona bike week and asked me to help him drive it back to Houston, TX. It had a hard-tail, 4' Springer front end, drag bars and pipes, and minimal seat padding. It was the roughest riding bike I had or have ever ridden. The plan was that we would take turns driving it while the other drove the van.

I took the first ride, lost him in Daytona traffic, and ended up driving it all the way to Houston without seeing him again until I got there. An hour into that trip I would have given anything to have been hitching instead of riding that jack-hammer-on-wheels.

Distance isn't what makes a journey seem long.

lookcloserbeauty

Reaction score
ok so this might not necessarily be the longest ride anyone has ever gotten but it was long and i think it is a pretty cool story...

so i was in Boulder, CO, on 4/20, completely by accident, and i met some hippie kids camping up in Nederland, who invited me up to there camp for the night. At this point, i was completely unsure of even what direction i was headed...i was considering NorCal or Portland but i was also debating heading back home to the Chicago area. So i figured a night spent in some beautiful mountains couldn't hurt helping me make a decision.

So waiting for my ride back down the mountain, 17 miles down the most hitch hiked road in america, i was still very unsure of my plans. So this girl, younger looking, maybe right out of high school, stops to pick us up. On the way down she mentions that she just left her boyfriend and is heading back home to her moms house in ILLINOIS. So, I asked if she may want to take me all the way there with her...and she said yes. So a 900 mile ride trying to get 17 miles down a mountain. And as if turned out, she was happier to have me ride with her than i was to get the ride; seeing as she was leaving her boyfriend, i kept her from crying the whole way wanting to turn around.

Definitely the best ride so far, especially since it helped me figure out where i was going.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads