bringing a computer | Page 4 | Squat the Planet

bringing a computer

BananaPhuck

Reaction score
I think I will trade my larger laptop for my brother's eeePC. But earlier someone mentioned an iPhone. I have AT&T, and could upgrade to an iPhone, and pay for the plan $30 a month (family plan). It has wifi + 3G + EDGE, GPS, internet, and is a phone. So I could have internet where ever, GPS for maps, and I could call people. It would weigh a lot less than my razr and an eeePC. Do you think it would be a risk to carry an iPhone at squats and such?

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
yeah, what the fuck, is it just space constraints, or are they waiting to drop the cd drive in 2010 so that everyone has to update? Anybody know of one of these cheap netbooks with a disk drive?

you can get external mini cd drives/burners and such for the optical driveless netbooks

bote

Reaction score
I´ve seen iphones in squats, just put some respectable tunes on there and park your lexus a couple blocks away and everything should work out fine. Seriously though, I don´t think it matters much, thieves will be thieves, look at dirty rig´s story, they robbed him for his crew change... If you don´t have to type much, I guess an iphone would be good, but I say fuck the 30/month, just find hotspots and use it as a free skype phone.

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I´ve seen iphones in squats, just put some respectable tunes on there and park your lexus a couple blocks away and everything should work out fine. Seriously though, I don´t think it matters much, thieves will be thieves, look at dirty rig´s story, they robbed him for his crew change... If you don´t have to type much, I guess an iphone would be good, but I say fuck the 30/month, just find hotspots and use it as a free skype phone.

The iPod Touch is a good bet, too, if you don't want to pay for a phone service.

Apple - iPod touch - Features

You could use Skype on it, but it doesn't have a microphone so you couldn't talk to anyone, though I've heard there are ways to put a mic in.

Qirst

Reaction score
Panasonic Fully-Rugged Toughbook
Ultra-durable laptop
Toughbook.jpg

+

Voltaic Backpack Solar Charger
backpack.jpg

Dillinger

Reaction score
sounds convenient as hell. and i first got involved with this lopsided world under the premise of shedding convenience!
i feel sick to even carry a band aid in my pack.
releasing yourself form all contact with the world you came from and doing whatever you please without knowledge of whats to come next, this life is just radiant with romanticism. a computer shoved in my pack would only make me nervous, and the constant thought of "I wonder what would have happened if i didn't have a computer on me." if i got in any situation like stuck in a town or what have you.
but it's all personal; if you'll get use out of it and still have the time of your life go for it!
just seems to defeat the point.

Reactions: japanarchist

Meck

Reaction score
Nice choice with the 1000HE the eeepc's are really good i believe it's made by asus which is one of the top of line PC motherboard manufacturers so I wouldn't go with acer since they are kinda crap and I have used one of their tiny pc's and they really seemed like a dissapointment. I am personally looking to get the T91 Tablet eeePC the only thing holding me back is the hard drive space but I am considering grabbing a glash drive they got them all the way up to 128GB now so who knows.

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
hell if you get the mac air the thing is as light as a note book.
I never had a prob with my shit until we stayed at a campground i this cabbing of sorts. one night after getting royally fucked some one came and robbed the camp ground, it was the only time of six months I didnt have he comp in my bed/ sleeping bag.

it was just my bro and myself with three ausies and we had the comp out for music and I just passed out without putting it away. and that was the night not to do it :(

anyway go for it just be carfull and always be paranoid with it.

upthepunx187

Reaction score
i just bought an acer aspireone a month back before i quit my job and i love having its super light, super cheap, and super durable. you can stick it in the middle of your pack between clothes and never have to worry about it.

Grasshopper

Reaction score
Website
www.brandonwilliamson.webs.com
Just bought an eee for 289.00 new. Shit's pretty dope, very light weight.

Injektilo*

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
This whole thread is tl/dr but I wanted to add my .02.

I carry a laptop only because I need to edit my photo's, It's a big one too so it's a pain in the ass. If I was not taking photos I would probably just carry my cell phone. It does all my gps, web browsing, email, document storage, music, movies that I need. I can also use it as a wireless access point for my laptop when I have to.

So ya if I was traveling light I would forgo the small laptop and just get a good smartphone.

Weston

Reaction score
I had a full ass sized laptop when I was on the road... It was good for finding freight yards on Google Maps and looking to see where trains go. I ended up breaking it though

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads