bringing a computer

RebeccaSoup

Reaction score
I've traveled with a computer before and I have to say, it's a bad idea (for me), because having it means using it- as opposed to checking out the library, learning to play a new instrument, reading a book, sitting in the train yard just reading the names under the bridge and watching the day go by.

yeah, i second this.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
There's always those little USB disks (I'm not sure what they're called) but of course you can't use those if you haven't got a computer to plug them into.

You're thinking USB thumbdrives, the 2GB ones should hold enough info to be useful as long as you don't try putting video/music/photoshopfiles/etc on it. I definitely carry these around for backups, even though I don't carry around a laptop.

The laptop sounds useful, but the screen is the most fragile part of it, I smashed one in a bike accident when I was hit by a truck, thrown in the air, and landed on it. I think it helped break my fall. Anyway, since then, I've not carried them around. It's also a bit of a psychological burden to not let people know you have it in your bag when you're crashing in some squat.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
I've traveled with a computer before and I have to say, it's a bad idea (for me), because having it means using it- as opposed to checking out the library, learning to play a new instrument, reading a book, sitting in the train yard just reading the names under the bridge and watching the day go by.

Maybe it's just me, but I do a lot of reading and checking out the library on my computer. Books and magazines weigh a shit ton more and take up a lot more space in my pack then my little computer.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
wow, that's really interesting that this subject has been brought up, cause i just finished writing an article about this for the upcoming stp blog.

i currently own the Eee PC 1000HD, and in terms of size/weight, it's amazing. ive even been doing a lot/most of the website maintenance on it. my only complaint so far is that ubuntu seems a bit sluggish with 1gb ram. im pretty happy with xubuntu, although i have it set up for dual boot with windows xp because google earth kinda runs like crap in ubuntu (and i still use itunes for my ipod - god im a gadget geek).

but yeah, i paid 400 for mine. ive had it for about 4 months now, and they're getting cheaper and with more features all the time. widerstand just showed me an eee pc model he's looking at for 300 with twice the features mine has. damn!

but yeah, i have not personally used the acer or many of the other "ultra portable" lappys that are out now, but in terms of specs, the eee pc is waaaay better than the acer, hp mini, etc. just don't expect to run photoshop cs4 or anything crazy like that.

suprisingly though, photoshop cs3 works pretty well.

but yeah, i wouldn't advertise the fact you have a laptop to a lot of people depending on the situation youre in (like the squat mentioned above).

Angela

Reaction score
i hear you, but "the medium is the message" sometimes. There's a good chance that I'm just a latent-luddite though.

I think a lot of us have those latent tendencies they just show up differently in different folks. I like computers because of the amount of resources that I've been able to access with them but I hate televisions and cell phones. I'm a big hypocrite though since even though I hate them I ended up with a cellphone(I never thought that would happen) and I download torrent movies and a few television shows and watch them on my computer which is really no different than a television.

:pos:

skunkpit

Reaction score
DSL information

linux distro that is under 64 megs and will fit on a 64 meg thumb drive

iv used one on a 128 meg drive and its sweet

so its a damn small version of linux that can install almost anywhere

you burn a disk boot it on a computer make a usb bootable dsl install then you never need the cd

you can take this thumbdrive to anycomputer that isnt bios protected and set the computer to boot usb first not cdrom or harddrives

so linux will boot off the usb key, you can save books, writings, pictures etc etc in this embeded operating system onto the thumb drive and have it all highly password protected and encrypted

looks like this
http://damnsmalllinux.org/dsl.0.4.5-3.jpg

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com

Just because I'd have it with me wouldn't mean it'd be my only means of amusement, though.

Angela

Reaction score
Just because I'd have it with me wouldn't mean it'd be my only means of amusement, though.

Well said! And you can't really use these things as your only source of amusement when traveling even if god forbid, you wanted to. Batteries don't last that long before needing to be recharged unless you have a spot to plug in and for what I hope are obvious reasons there's a lot of places that you want to keep these stashed in your pack and not be letting people see that you have them.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I say bring it. i dont see the problem. make sure the case is waterproof though.

atherington

Reaction score
Where could I find one of the cheaper eee pc for $300? Who sell's these? I checked out wal mart and they've only got the aspire one for $400

Angela

Reaction score
Where could I find one of the cheaper eee pc for $300? Who sell's these? I checked out wal mart and they've only got the aspire one for $400

Matt's selling one over in the black market section for $300 unless he's already found someone to buy it. With shipping to Canada though, might be more. PM him and see if he's still got it.

atherington

Reaction score
Thanks Angela.! But I actually am now eyeing one I found for $329. If I can come up with the cash before I hit the road I'm gonna get it. I forget what kind it was, all I know is the price is right.

Labea

Reaction score
wow, that's really interesting that this subject has been brought up, cause i just finished writing an article about this for the upcoming stp blog.

i currently own the Eee PC 1000HD, and in terms of size/weight, it's amazing. ive even been doing a lot/most of the website maintenance on it. my only complaint so far is that ubuntu seems a bit sluggish with 1gb ram. im pretty happy with xubuntu, although i have it set up for dual boot with windows xp because google earth kinda runs like crap in ubuntu (and i still use itunes for my ipod - god im a gadget geek).

but yeah, i paid 400 for mine. ive had it for about 4 months now, and they're getting cheaper and with more features all the time. widerstand just showed me an eee pc model he's looking at for 300 with twice the features mine has. damn!

but yeah, i have not personally used the acer or many of the other "ultra portable" lappys that are out now, but in terms of specs, the eee pc is waaaay better than the acer, hp mini, etc. just don't expect to run photoshop cs4 or anything crazy like that.

suprisingly though, photoshop cs3 works pretty well.

but yeah, i wouldn't advertise the fact you have a laptop to a lot of people depending on the situation youre in (like the squat mentioned above).

you said buttyeah 3 times!

i have an iBook G4 that i got for 75 bucks. definitely not traveling with this baby.

for this eeepc, how long does the battery last?

logan714

Rev Quay Lude The Church of the SubGenius http:
StP Supporter
Reaction score
IBM think pad T40 I payed $140 on ebay for it

logan

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score

logan

That's the one I have. very durible, but heavy. I ripped off all of the keys in a rage of fury because the internet wasnt picking up. oh well

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ebay has good listings for eee pc's. most are around $300 brand new. as for battery life, it's about 4.5 hours. you can stretch that out longer if you turn off wifi, bluetooth, and dim the display as much as possible. doing that, i can squeeze about 6-7 hours of typing out of it, about 5 hours of watching movies.

oh, and here's the article i wrote about "ultra portables":

http://squattheplanet.com/2009/01/31/laptops-for-hobos/

tumtum

Reaction score

logan
I have this one also, for about 3 years now. I really like it. I do wanna get an Eee Pc sometime, I like how small they are. I'd probably just stash it at a friends while I'm away. Too nervous of it getting stolen or wet or smashed. Just seems like a hassle to me. But if you're careful it could help out a lot.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads