bringing a computer | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

bringing a computer

stove

Reaction score
question for the people who travel with a computer? do you hack wifi? do you just use the net when you go to places that have some sort of free wifi floating around? do you pay for any sort of service?

how precisely do you do it?

Due to a policy of many years, I'm very hesitant to post a "how to" on hacking WEP or WPA encryption systems. The reality is, while it's not terribly difficult, often you can find an unsecured wifi spot with some intelligent searching; businesses with lounging areas (bars, cafes, coffee shops etc), dense middle-class residential areas, etc.

Personally, I will always search for free wifi before resorting to cracking someone's encrypted access point just to gain access; I've never needed to get online THAT badly. It really depends on your need. If, for whatever reason, I absolutely needed to get connected, I would have absolutely no compunction about smashing through someone's wifi or cracking a firewall to get access.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
question for the people who travel with a computer? do you hack wifi? do you just use the net when you go to places that have some sort of free wifi floating around? do you pay for any sort of service?

how precisely do you do it?

I never usually have trouble finding free wifi and have never tried to hack into wifi networks, I wouldn't know how. Free spots are incredibly easy to find in most areas even if they aren't advertised as such. I sit near cafe's, bars, motels, etc and never have trouble finding a wifi connection when I'm at all close to civilization. Out in the woods doesn't work but I just tend to not be heard from for periods or go into town to use the computer. Even the pay services don't get a connection lots of places so I've never thought that it would be worth the money to pay for any wireless internet.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
There's a little trick to use if you have a USB wifi antenna, you can make a little satellite dish and with a USB extension cord, you can put it in the center and aim that sucker around until you find a hotspot. There was one using a 6 ft dish that could get signals from over 50 miles away.

hassysmacker

Reaction score
Does anyone have a fear about having something as valuable as a laptop while travelling being stolen by some less than noble street kid/traveller/etc?

Because thats the only thing that makes me weary. I know a lot of awesome kids, but I have interacted with plenty of scumbags on the street who would rob something like a laptop out of my pack the second i looked away to pawn for drugs.

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
Does anyone have a fear about having something as valuable as a laptop while travelling being stolen by some less than noble street kid/traveller/etc?
\no because if i had one i wouldn't break it out in front of everyone. if my travel partners know about it they will be wise and keep quiet.

having it get lost or broken is certainly a risk though, but i guess that's a risk some people will take.

also don't hang with scum bags. i mostly travel alone and hardly interact with any scum bag.

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
Exactly. I have fears about assholes taking my shit too, so I don't make it obvious I have anything valuable around anyone but my friends.

\no because if i had one i wouldn't break it out in front of everyone. if my travel partners know about it they will be wise and keep quiet.

having it get lost or broken is certainly a risk though, but i guess that's a risk some people will take.

also don't hang with scum bags. i mostly travel alone and hardly interact with any scum bag.

skunkpit

Reaction score
if you really keen about it you could always make spare battery packs. so say an eeepc inputs 9 volts ( im not sure what they input) 9 devided by 1.2volt AA rechargable nimh batteries so roughly 7 or 8 batteries in series, so some soldering is useful, could get a 3 AA battery compartment holder and a 4 AA holder solder them together get an adapter plug that fits the laptop negative to negative positive to positive and done. im experimenting at the moment with this concept but recharging them with solar panels, thing is i cant get the unit to stop charging once batteries are all full..

Reaction score
I'm traveling with a 12.1" IBM ThinkPad x60s for almost two years now! I have it in a neopren sleeve and I built a wooden case for it so that I even can sit on my backpack and throw it around n shit. There's nothing better than a ThinkPad, seriously... it's fuckin supreme engeneering! :p

bote

Reaction score
hmmm, just reread my posts here advising against getting this, and why do you think I was rereading this thread? because I`m thinking about getting one, of course, I want info. The Eeepc does look the best, how has it been working out for you kirby? And a big question for me is, is the keyboard actually a comfortablke size (I know about the 92% thing, but am wondering if it actually feels alright over prolonged typing)

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I've thought about bringing a laptop. I'd say bring a macbook air or something, but way too much $$$. Still, when I had my PowerBook G4, I'd take it with me everywhere. It was dropped, knocked off tables, stepped on, set out in the sun, ran for hours in the most extreme heat/cold, etc. Such a strong little computer.

If the size/weight/look of it is a problem, an iPhone (I'm an insufferable Mac fanboy) or any other smart phone, or even one of the new iPod's, seems to do quite a bit in just a handheld device.

wartomods

Reaction score
thumb drives are cheap, and it is like you have your own computer when you go from library to library

bote

Reaction score
yeah, what the fuck, is it just space constraints, or are they waiting to drop the cd drive in 2010 so that everyone has to update? Anybody know of one of these cheap netbooks with a disk drive?

moe

Reaction score
what about having to have anti-cvirus protection or memory?

os that something you don't really have to worry.

hell i think i might spend my next paycheck, on one of these mini laptops. eepc.=]

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads