Best jeans?

Critical Rupture

Reaction score
Either Filson's, or Sorrels.

Sorrels, are nice, considering there Water/fire/windproof, oiled, double kneed/ and assed. made in the USA, lifetime warenty (so if they rip, send em back and they will ship you a new pair for free) straight legged unlike mexi made Carhartts, and half the price. 20-30 bones for a pair.

I was thinking about Filson's. Got some Carhartts, but Filson's sound like the shit.

Sorrels? What's that? And got any links? Can't find the shit online...

M

Monkeywrench

they've kinda become a joke, everyone and their mom has them now. i say any old jeans are fine, as long as their comfortable. you'll end up patching those carhartts up just as much.

Everyone I know who's bought a pair of Carhartts in the last couple years has been patching them up. Outdoor stores like REI still sell some pretty hardcore durable double-kneed pants--but those will run you a pretty penny. Can't win, I suppose. You're either going to be patching or ultimately replacing.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I'm tempted to get these guys, the firehose work pants:
Fire Hose Work Pants - Duluth Trading Company
Apparently they have a nice guarantee on them, break them and they will replace it...

As for these pants, I think the deal is that they handle abrasion well, but not continuous movement like bicycling around. I wear mine for when I'm doing metal working nowadays, since the crotch was starting to fray and blow out. The rest of the pants seem to be doing fine though- I might make chaps out of them when the crotch finally busts open.

oatsrail

Reaction score
as far as jeans go i gotta say my levies are holding up good and i got them from a used clothing store for 10$ at a store in California called cross roads trading store as well wrangler has some good jeans as well and they hold up for me year round summer or winter.

christianarchy

Reaction score
filsons dumpster in seattle that i hit up every few months. its almost always a gold mine. never full pants or anything but always some of the toughest fabrics and tons of it, as well as leather and accessories that are really useful. i'm planning to make a pair fo apnts out of everything i've found.
and if you go by second hand stores enough carhartts can be found there if your lucky. got my pair for 99 cents and remained sweatshop free (so pissed they switched to mexico)

sweet potatoe

Reaction score
filsons dumpster in seattle that i hit up every few months. its almost always a gold mine. never full pants or anything but always some of the toughest fabrics and tons of it, as well as leather and accessories that are really useful. i'm planning to make a pair fo apnts out of everything i've found.
and if you go by second hand stores enough carhartts can be found there if your lucky. got my pair for 99 cents and remained sweatshop free (so pissed they switched to mexico)

fuck yeah! but there are occasionally full pants with slashes down them that they throw, the sweet damn thing about filsons is htey have a lifetime guarantee return policy, so whenever htey fuckup bring em back an youcan get a new pair, then go back to th dumpster and get your old pair back! i had a friend who found a pair that were thrashed but fit him and yeah

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
I'm a good-looking man, and I need to look good when I go out on the town.
I had some Levi's for this purpose: y'know, lookin' sharp, keepin' up my rep as a snazzy fella.
Anyway, one of the only times I ever fell of a train, I busted an L-shaped hole in the Levi's. (These were then worn exclusively for traveling.) Only a few weeks ago I saw this happen to a guy who bumped into a fire-hose attach on the side of a bldg. The same L-shaped hole, must be something in how they're stitched.
Anyway, I just got rid of the Levi's when I traded (through STP) to get a pair of Carhartt pants. I hadn't noticed due to wearing thermals, but those Levi's had a hole bigger than my fist on the left side at the bottom of my ass, and a slightly smaller hole just above the back of my right knee. I don't think Levi's passed the sturdiness test.

jonom

Reaction score

xbocax

Reaction score
I just got these carhartts they're very sturdy triple stitching and have a great water resistant front that actually works. I'd suggest get a leg length longer than your actual leg length so that you can cut it up and sew it to your size and with the extra water resistant material you can patch up your butt or any other part of the pants you wish.

http://www.umidirect.com/_carhartt+cordura+front+work+dungaree_style-b192brn30x28_9907/b

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
After looking at Filson's site, I think I found a sign that I should get some:

FilsonOutdoorClothingBlockAfinal.jpg

D

Deleted member 20

I like carhart work jeans or stuff from ll bean, The carhart stuff is like tripple lined at the knees & is reinforced everywhere. I usually find that sort of stuff in SAVERS a department thrift store in the northeast for like 6-7bucks. Same goes for llbean & at one time Eastern mountain sports(they would even offe rcahs refunds without receipt no questions asked But I assume this gig is up. . I am unsure but back in the day they would guarantee anything they sold. So I would just search the racks find something that doesnt have a ripped tag or a permanet marker swipe down the tag & exchange it for something else or return it. I once bought abrand new pair of climbing shoes off a crackhead that actually fit me & I wanted to keep em, I took em to EMS & returned them sans receipt or explination & got $150 cash back in 1994. I believe LL bean offers an exchange if there product fails.

Critical Rupture

Reaction score
I just got these carhartts they're very sturdy triple stitching and have a great water resistant front that actually works. I'd suggest get a leg length longer than your actual leg length so that you can cut it up and sew it to your size and with the extra water resistant material you can patch up your butt or any other part of the pants you wish.

http://www.umidirect.com/_carhartt+cordura+front+work+dungaree_style-b192brn30x28_9907/b

I got these exact same pants. Though, shame doesn't come in a smaller size (30 x 28, rather than 28 x 28 : I'm not a huge guy). And the water resistant material is only on the front, kinda like chaps. But still pretty rad.

But for something more ... invincible (haha), I'm thinking I'm gonna give the Filson DOuble Tin Cloth a go. Heaps more expensive of course.

The Cheshire

Reaction score
One pair of levis is going on five years for me. I'll i've had to do is sew the crotch back together a few times. But the Filsons are were it's at, hands down.

nickt29

Reaction score
since i started wearing the same pants all the time like 4 years ago, these dickies that i have now are the best yet, better than levis. my old levis crapped out on me last summer so i bought dickies and cut em into shorts but then it got cold so i sewed the legs back on then sewed them up the inseam to make them tighter and i just wear long johns underneath. they've held toghether better than any other pants ive had. after almost 7 months i just got my first hole on the crotch because of... what other than whiskey... mabye these pants have held up so well just because ive been drinking less whiskey??? hmmm

jellyfish

Reaction score
i got a pair of levi 524 [out of the JUNIORS section] and surprisingly enough they're not too stretchy and are actually holding together pretty good. AND even though they came out of the juniors section they didn't come with any of those great pre made holes that all those crazy kids seem to adore today.

Poking Victim

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Levi's 501s for $22 on Black Friday. I like how they look, but the pockets are almost too small to fit my hands in. They're holding up well considering I washed them a few times.
Carharrts, I've only worn American-made ones. I just took apart my last pair after getting the 501s...don't think I'll be finding any more used American-made ones.
I'd get a new pair if I wanted to look nice.
Filsons tin pans, I've worn, but they were hand-me-downs, a little small. I didn't really have any use for them as I was not in a wet climate. I plan on getting a pair this Autumn for mushroom picking. They're really only practical if you're out in wet conditions. Make sure and order the leather cuffs if you do.
On the matter of the Warranty, I believe they guarantee your satisfaction, but that says nothing about replacement after normal wear. Don't you think if $150 got you a pair of tin pants for life there would be more people on that bandwagon?

I like wearing tight pants because they don't get caught on anything. I had a pair I made myself, but they weren't stretch material and didn't give me the full range of motion. I've got a pair of Dogpile Chaos000 pants; I like tight pants because they don't catch on anything, so I can hop fences and climb shit no problem. Not so tough, but ripped/patched pants are punker, right?
Dickies are durable and comfy, but they're too comfy for me, I feel like I'm wearing pajama pants.

mbgeorge

Reaction score
yeah matt is right about carhartt they fall apart just as quick as anything else, i have a pair of like mechanic coveralls that i cut into pants and put loops on that have lasted me for ever they even have the sleeping bag type shit layered on the inside, unfortunately the brand they were was on the jacket part and i lost that ages ago, but i imagine anything like that would be pretty durable,

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads