Tent or tarp? (1 Viewer)

jdrakeh

Lurker
Current Location
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
I imagine this boils down to personal preference and/or knowledge of outdoor survival skills, but which of these two items generally makes for a better pack accessory on cross-country trips?

When camping (weekend trips), I've used a tarp instead of a tent — if you know how to stake it and work the ground around it, a tarp and a short piece of nylon rope can be much more versatile than a tent in different weather conditions. That said, I appreciate the comfort of a tent and the comparatively easy set up.

As I mention in the Introductions forum, though, I've never done any extended hitching or wilderness trekking. Thus, the query. Is a tarp's versatility better than the comfort/weight of a tent in the long run? Or is it wiser to invest some $$$ in an expensive-ish light-weight backpacking tent for travel?

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

wartomods

Current Location
EU
i prefer a single wall tent, i think you can find them cheap at general sports stores.

stove

Current Location
on the road
Agree with Wider (I'm certain this has been brought up before, but won't hold it against ya). I'm hitching around europe now, and actually just spent last night out in the rain, wrapped up in my 6x8 silnylon tarp. I *WOULD* have stayed totally dry despite the rainstorm if I had not been sitting in a puddle (my bad). Also, if I had not given my nylon rope away, I would have been able to actually pitch it...

It's totally personal preference. Weight vs comfort vs cost vs size. I would say tarp in MOST three-season situations; winter I'll go for a tent for the heat. Bugs can also be an issue, and one well worth considering if you've spent time in the mountains or any wetlands...

OP
jdrakeh

jdrakeh

Lurker
Current Location
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
Agree with Wider (I'm certain this has been brought up before, but won't hold it against ya).
I searched and didn't find this specific topic, but it's possible that it was posted under another heading.

It's totally personal preference. Weight vs comfort vs cost vs size. I would say tarp in MOST three-season situations; winter I'll go for a tent for the heat. Bugs can also be an issue, and one well worth considering if you've spent time in the mountains or any wetlands...
I grew up in Eastern Kansas and did a lot of camping as a kid, so I'm used to insect issues. I haven't done much outdoor living during the Winter — can the heat retention issue be mitigated by a good 0-5 sleeping bag?

dirtyfacedan

Current Location
Duncan, Canada
I got my siltarp in Portland. I think it's a great piece of kit. A bivy sack is a good thing to have as well. I'm not a fan of tents, unless it's shared space.

compass

Lost
Current Location
Wherever I am
There are some pretty light and compact mosquito nets you can pack which are really easy to string up, with or without your tarp. Or you can just make a custom one out of no-see-um mesh to suit your needs.

Tarps are so versatile and can be used for pretty much all conditions if you know how to use them right. The weight and space savings can't be beat. Also, the ventilation is way better, so condensation isn't really a problem. I pack a silnylon poncho tarp.

kai

Current Location
victoria
depending where I'm gonna be I prefer a tarp but if i have to live outside somewhere amongst hordes of mosquitoes and black flies (northern ontario for example) and do so for an extended period of time I feel a tent would be invaluable.

wartomods

Current Location
EU
I have a cheap single wall tent for two persons it weights 2 kilos , it is basicly a tarp with a zipper, with poles and a compression bag, so doesnt bother me at all

Current Location
East TN
I packed a small one-person tent. I don't like bugs or spiders. =P

It's really up to the person and what they are comfortable with.

mikey mayhem

Lurker
Current Location
bay area
i wish i knew how to use a tarp accurately. every one i have seen use a tarp in heavy rain storms has came out soaked. so i prefer to use a single person tent, i use the eureka solitaire and it works wonders especially in hawaii where i had to worry about monsoon storms and centipedes and all the other critters that go bump in the night. but i guess it depends on the person and there skills with the tarp and tolerance of bugs.

stove

Current Location
on the road
wonder if the nylon rope that stove 'gave away' is the same stuff that is sitting here on my table, LOL
Nah, i actually picked up some more, and only recently in Ukraine gave it away...I tend to do that when someone says that they need something which I have.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Current Location
Montreal, Canada
depending where I'm gonna be I prefer a tarp but if i have to live outside somewhere amongst hordes of mosquitoes and black flies (northern ontario for example) and do so for an extended period of time I feel a tent would be invaluable.
Ya man Norther Ontario can be a bit insane that way. I'm still working on getting a bivi with the mosquito netting. It really does come down to total weight and size of your pack. I end up sleeping on the train more than anything and a tent just inst too practical....besides I hate packing tents up in the AM.

Current Location
in a dream
tents have poles. tarps need cord/rope. or, the good old guys at rei give you a 1.5person tent with a rainfly (tarp). both worlds, 2.5 pounds. $100.
bugs and snakes or sideways rain = tent
rain or for general cover = rainfly
yeah i know your sil tarp is like 8 oz. mines 4 times that. but thats like carrying 3 beers in my bag. its all preference, and what your pack can handle. cheers.

drun_ken

Current Location
gainesville shit hole fl
Website
www.myspace.com
once again i dont know......these guys said some thin....and uh yeah....there is that milatary isused tarp.poncho tent thingy...oh dude those things are awesome...otherwise fuck it tarp and tent and like 70 other pounds of truly sometimes usless shit.........

Current Location
Cascadia
I have a cheap, heavy, 12x8 tarp, nice for versatility but I'd like to go siltarp for weight savings. The heavy tarp hasn't let me down yet though.

mkirby

Lurker
Website
meredithkirby.com
I've always used a lightweight tarp, and I've never had any issues.

Though I do try to stay away from places with gnarly weather.

Ravie

Current Location
Redding, CA
Website
www.myspace.com
oh man, i used to use a 9x6 and it was great for just me or a partner, but one time i went on a trip with two newbies and niether had a tarp...durring early spring. Rain. Lots of rain. Everything I owned was soaked for like 2 weeks. I eventually gave away my tarp to a couple i caught a train with and got a bigger one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $35.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $35.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $35.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $35.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

croc wrote on bowldog's profile.
Love ur profile pic. She looks so sultry peeking thru the trees
dumpsternavel wrote on Rhubarb Dwyer's profile.
So clevar
The only good part about the ER is the BE that comes before-hand! :p
forgot how fast people'll throw the first blow in the street
got complacent having only sparred with friends recently.
was socked in the head,
only managed to block the second blow or so
before being knocked to the ground

(to be fair, knocking us off our feet isn't hard when we require a cane or smth to support ourselves most days)
Currently in Louisiana , I'm off the road. Had Hep C an liver cancer. Don't ever forget to be free from the man you have to leave it all behind, each an every time.
Still....in Jax if any kids about
Stuck on paper in idaho, missing the woods and my DK fam
I've made some layout adjustments to featured content threads. They should look much prettier on mobile devices, although I'm still working on how the main featured page displays on those devices...
Due to a software bug, I've had to disable the ability for users to delete their accounts until a fix is released (hopefully no more than a few days).
You ever look back and kind of wonder even if you wanted to try to fix things... How you even begin to apologise for Fucking up someone's life??

Members online