Shoes

G

Grace

If the guy I'm traveling with won't let me wear my broken-in, broken down pair of green Chuck T's, which are signed by the pedophile Don Vito and decorated with a black Sharpie, then I ain't goin. They're part of my daily costume. Without them, I can't be the Green Lantern, and therefore I can't be myself.

M

Mouse

all my shoes are second hand because I make less than fair wages so I'm happy to be able to have shoes.

Post edited by: Mouse, at: 2007/09/12 13:50

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
boots versus shoes

I was wondering about your views on boots, given that a few people I know have strong opinions about them- first being that your ankles will weaken because they get used to the extra support (which is why I never wear them, after realizing how weak my ankles got after a year of using them) and that they are so much more durable than shoes. I like being able to feel the ground with the softer soles of shoes, since I am in the woods so much, and it makes finding a trail in the dark much easier, as well as balancing on things.

The only way I'd wear boots again, is if I did joint strengthening exercises to counteract the atrophy of my ankles, and who has energy for that?

Dameon

Reaction score
boots versus shoes

I love my boots. I don't know about the "ankles weakening" thing; I've worn boots a couple of years then gone to wearing old man dress shoes, and not noticed that. I find ankle support to be important; I don't want a sprained ankle when I'm lugging around a 50 lb or so pack. I like not feeling the ground too much; I don't want to walk around all day punishing my feet with every pebble, carrying a pack. I still don't have a problem finding a trail with my feet in the dark, although a simple solution for that problem would be a flashlight. I certainly don't have any problem balancing.

I love my boots, and always wear boots if I have a choice. As far as I'm concerned, the only issue I have with boots is smelly boot feet.

kai

Reaction score
boots versus shoes

any seasoned wood squatter can tell you that the best way to give yourself away at night is to use a flashlight....

however to each their own, I prefer shoes, I can run faster, jump higher, climb fences and do it all in comfort. I've worn steel toed boots, non steel boots, skate shoes, hiking boots and old man shoes, and skate shoes still win always... however I really like to wear boots in the winter or in places that are wet...actually the best shoes I ever wore travelling were a pair of moccasin slippers I got from a friend, and flip flops were pretty sweet to have to but then I had to carry my boots on my back because at one point I felt it necessary to have both in my possession.

elokupa

Reaction score
boots versus shoes

boots all the way, not toe-capped ones tho, theyre too heavy to be practical. i agree that they do make you far less agile but skate shoes last about 3 months until theyre fucked.

i met an old guy who "didnt believe in shoes" his feet were nasty

BrokeWhiteBoy

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
boots versus shoes

I normally wear skate shoes or converse, but i wear through the heels really fast, my weight for some reason is concentrated on the outside edge of my foot, so the heels wear down really fast on one side. I usually get about 3 months of casual wear out of them before they roll my ankles to the point of just being uncomfortable.

I've also worn clean through soles of Chucks in a weekend in the SF Bay Area.
For now, I'm dealing with the shoes I got, until I can afford another pair of boots.

kai

Reaction score
boots versus shoes

boots all the way, not toe-capped ones tho, theyre too heavy to be practical. i agree that they do make you far less agile but skate shoes last about 3 months until theyre fucked.

i met an old guy who "didnt believe in shoes" his feet were nasty

So every three months go shoe swap at your local wal-mart, not the best shoes but free.

I've known a few of those no shoe types, barefoot is awesome and I've done it before and it's awesome and liberating till you step in dog shit.

M

Mouse

boots versus shoes

hiking shoes would be best I think but I always jsut stuck with combat boots because I got them cheap and they last a lifetime...ish. plus, I have naturally weak ankles (never broken a bone in my life but I've sprained my ankles dozens of times *knock on wood*) so I need the support.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Shoes!

I recommend hiking/trail running shoes; as has been said, they are lighter-weight than boots, better for running and climbing, and - if you get good ones - they'll be as good (or better) than boots for gripping terrain.
I recommend the North Face Prophecy or Prophecy II (Gore-Tex waterproof), Ultra 103 XCR, or even the Hedgehog XCR; they've worked very well for me in traversing pavement/woods/trail/rock, and they're quite durable. Anything of similar design would be good.
(I'm assuming that the selling price isn't an issue...)

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
boots versus shoes

Yeah, I forgot that most of y'all carry those HEAVY packs, the people I know with atrophied ankles are just housepunks who wore boots all the time without lugging around anything. I use trail running shoes myself, they are only really bad in the coldest days of winter.

As a woods squatter, the trails I go on are largely deer trails, so they are much harder to find than your regular human trail, and using a flashlight will get you caught. I also have to occasionally cross streams via log bridges, too.

Dameon

Reaction score
boots versus shoes

I've stayed in the woods for a year before, and used a flashlight without getting caught. I don't get who's going to see a dim flashlight if you're deep in the woods using deer trails. Is somebody mounting security cameras on deer?

BrokeWhiteBoy

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
boots versus shoes

Is somebody mounting security cameras on deer?

You didn't hear about this? The EPA decided that deer hunting was too easy. They started mounting turrets on the backs of deer. There is a heat-sensing camera and a motion detector combined with an advanced digital camera to determine if you are indeed human. If you are, the turret spins and locks on and shoots at you.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
boots versus shoes

In addition to the cyborg killer deer, I also have to hide from other homeless people, helicopters, etc. Also, in the woods you might come across a pot farm, and so using a flashlight could get you ambushed. Plus, I'm not that deep in the woods, there aren't too many deep woods where I'm at...

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
boots versus shoes

I got a pair of North Face boots about 10 months ago and they have been great. Waterproof, sturdy as hell, comfortable. I do though think they were a little big and hot (even though these were pretty well ventilated) for the summer time. I would pack some sandals or sneakers in my bag in case I was in a town for a while because boots in the summer is a little much. I think next time I'll go for some solid waterproof hiking shoes. Although I did like being able to step in water up to over my ankles and not get wet at all..

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
boots versus shoes

I wore steel toe boots for years, until I tried the walmart knock off 'montrails'. they wear down in a month or two with all the walkin, but just walk in and trade out.

I like some boots now and again, but main problem I have is finding boots that AREN'T waterproof! My feet sweat like mad, and the waterproof works both ways. in a pair of waterproof boots I am standing in a fucking swamp at the end of the first day, and it dosen't go away until the boots completely dry, which never happens on the road. then first time i wear em again,same shit.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
boots versus shoes

I usually wear light trekking boots when out doing the rough stuff. Won't wear steel toes due to the fact that when it's cold...your toes tend to freeze off. The trekking boots provide great support for ankles when the heavier winter pack is on, and are thick enough on the sides, toes, and solid enough to be able to kick steel without it hurting. The soles tend to be solid as hell...any amount of weight can be supported, and no nail is going through. Dry as hell when looked after as well, i use dubbin to seal them up tight.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
boots versus shoes

just a question, im looking for some new combat-ish boots. any brand suggestions? and has anyone ever tried airforce boots?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads