Shoes

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Right now I've got a pair of $20 Starter shoes from wal mart that are holding up pretty good for my little hikes. Comfy at least.

I've also got a pair of knockoff chucks that I got back in '07. My boots finally gave out and I needed a quick, cheap replacement, and at $9 they were just right. I've put them through hell and high water since then(wore them on my truck ride) and they're still around, albeit repaired(poorly) all to hell.

Once I start traveling more I'll probably get a better pair of shoes.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I'm tempted to try out the vibram five fingers shoes- kinda like toesie socks, but shoes instead, but I'd have to disguise them as regular footwear instead of something so attention-gathering...

UrbanNokizaru

Reaction score
Website
ninjabikeslut.tumblr.com
I know those and was going to get some for parkour, but what's really nice if you want to feel the ground and have a flexible sole is a nice watershoe, it does the same except it won't draw attention. They usually have great grip too if you climb or slip or something.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I remember in dwelling portably or something like that, there were people who actually walked around barefoot in soleless shoes, so it looked like they had normal shoes on when they didn't. I figure something similar to that will work with the toesie shoes.

M

Monkeywrench

A summer of traveling around in high-top Chucks taught me that waterproof (not resistant, PROOF), rugged-as-fuck, hiking boots are worth their weight in gold. Sure, they can be ridiculously priced, but some can be worth every penny you invest into them. Being able to hike for miles without worrying about blisters or soggy feet is a fantastic feeling.

(...and it's easy as hell to switch out your old hiking boots for new ones at most REI/sporting goods stores. I'm just sayin..:D )

freepizzaforlife

Reaction score
Im currently rocking vans hi-tops, they are fucking durable as shit, and comfortable. I either have these, or the vans old schools. two really awesome skate shoes to skate in (if you skate) and great for riding. Ive never had any problems, they last me about 10 months, and I skate every chance I get. tons of padding, etc etc.

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
I have 14-eye soft-toe Docs (thinkin about cutting em down to 10-hole) and keep a pair of slip on vans in my pack. alotta people like chucks, and my homie Pigg swears by his vibram-soled sandals, but I like to have boots. the only problem i ever have is when i put my skate shoes on, i gotta stuff the big-ass boots in my pack
Edit: Pigg migrates with the weather however, so he avoids the cold & need for warm shoes

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
The best shoes are the ones that don't blister your feet and don't make your back ache. Just stick with what works for you. Few things can cause you more discomfort than a pair of bad shoes! I have to watch what shoes I wear, the wrong pair will make my back and neck stiff and sore in a matter of days. I had to toss two brand new pairs of shoes already this year. I generally just stick with Rockport, Deer Stags or New Balance shoes simply because they won't kill my back. Seriously, a bad pair of shoes will mess up my back worse than lugging too heavy a pack or sleeping on a cold hard surface. Sometimes I use arch supports too, I guess my age is starting to catch up with me a bit.
I once found a barely used pair of dress shoes in a thrift store for $4, a brand called Deer Stags, they felt like sneakers and never made my back hurt, they ended up lasting me a couple of years. People used to be like "why are you wearing dress shoes?"
I'd just shrug and say "Hey, they're comfortable".

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I use danner rough out boots. Paid 200 bucks for these things a few years ago and man, they are falling apart. Most I ever paid for a pair of boots, and I have had to sew some parts back together myself. Stitching is falling out the goretex interiors are just ripping, and the soles are basically worn flat and cracking in half. My issued cheap army boots I had used for five years are still in one bloody piece.
Never using that company again.

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
3 years ago I found a pair of black 'born' Oxford shoes for 20$ at some thrift in dt Seattle. And since have been through 2 more pairs from born. they are expensive but so are good skate shoes.. hand crafted leather and excellent ventilation/support/durability if you find the right style.

looking for work boots now.. I heard the mission in Eugene OR gives out red wings.. can anyone here confirm this??

flat broke or I'd just go to walmart

Art101

Reaction score
I prefer a good solid boot. When Im riding I will throw on a pair of chucks but keep the boots close. I like the support when Im lugging a pack and climbing about on a car. Plus they protect my feet from all kind of hazards. Just my opinion.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads