Portland, OR

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
so.... ive been up in cle elum washington for the past three weeks waiting for this bus i want to buy go on sale. unfortunately although as of today the school i am buying it from has finally started putting it through the red tape so they can sell it to me, it's gonna be as much as another month before i can get it... soooo... im going kinda nuts here, so i figured it might be a good idea to come down to pdx for a bit until the stp gathering, maybe make some money somehow... so yeah. i guess what im looking for is maybe places to crash or camp, and things to do/people to meet, etc...

stove

Reaction score
True. If you ski or ride (or just like Montana?) you could drop on by here for a few. Dunno how much work there is around though, lots of internationals to fill the gaps...

Dameon

Reaction score
Be sure to get a green book somewhere, which will list all of Portland's homeless resources for you, most notably the feeds. Lots of places have it, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Outside In (1132 SW 13th Ave, easy walking distance from downtown). The two feeds I regularly hit up in Portland are:
Sisters of the Road, which is less of a feed and more of a super cheap cafe ($1.00 for a plate of beans and rice or whatever the daily special is). Be careful here, though, lots of junkies and such hitting this up, last time I was in Portland, I'd heard that there were recently two overdose-related deaths there. If you have no money, you can work for meal tickets, so it's somewhat more dignified than hitting up a homebum feed.

And Blanchet House, on 340 NW Glisan ST, which feeds three times a day, 6:30-7:30 am for breakfast, 11:30-12:30 for lunch, and 5-6 for dinner. Long lines, pretty much all homebums, but the volunteers are very polite and will make you feel at home and help you keep your dignity.

Portland has some of the best homeless resources available out there (if you're not too proud to take advantage of them), just stay away from the Portland Rescue Mission.

Reactions: shellshell

Dameon

Reaction score
Yeah, PRM is the one at the start of Burnside. Sisters of the Road, last I was in Portland, I heard there'd been two overdoses right in front of it. Potluck in the Park is one of the best feeds I've ever been to, and yeah, it's on Saturdays.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
where is the potluck in the park? this is all good info we should add to the wiki!

gangleri

Reaction score
Also, last time I checked, Portland has six Food not Bomb feedings a week. I wouldn't be surprised if this had dropped by one or two, but there was a point last summer where you could eat FnB seven days a week. It was a little excessive, really.

soymilkshakes

Reaction score
There's also a "food porch" in Northeast, on Garfield St off of Shaver. I don't know the exact address but it's easily spot-able with it's punky type vibe. They always have food for the takin', breads and produce and these weird local "healthy" burritos which are kind of gross if you eat them too often, as I did. Yuk.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
There's also a "food porch" in Northeast, on Garfield St off of Shaver. I don't know the exact address but it's easily spot-able with it's punky type vibe. They always have food for the takin', breads and produce and these weird local "healthy" burritos which are kind of gross if you eat them too often, as I did. Yuk.

haha... ive been to that porch before... also, i think i eat myself stupid on those burritos every time im in portland (cant remember what they're called) they're not that great but EVERYONE has them lying around... and they give me the worst gas/stomach cramps!

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Your not the only one to have gotten gas/stomach cramps off those burritos. There are way better places in Portland for food, check out the dumpsters on the outskirts and you'll find great stuff but stay away from them burritos!

:mad:
(How you'll feel after those burritos. Bring the antacid!)

Tiphareth

Reaction score
Free Pizza anywhere? that would be useful data.

flashinglights

Reaction score
I'll add the current schedule for PDX Food Not Bombs. If you are reading this post six months from now, ask around before you head to anywhere but the downtown feed which has been steady for many years - weekday locations tend to change once in a while. All feeds are at 5:30pm or shortly thereafter.

Saturday/Sunday - North Park Blocks @ the elephant at Burnside & 8th in good weather months, and under the west side of the Burnside bridge in winter months.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday - Colonel Summers Park, north of SE Taylor between SE 18th and 19th.

One cool thing about Portland for travellers is the "Benson Bubbler" water fountains that are all over the older part of town, as far out as SE 50th. Apparently this Benson guy thought people were drinking too much beer due to lack of available fresh water, and built water fountains as an alternative.

Simon Benson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Portlands Benson Bubblers

hassysmacker

Reaction score
So I know about sisters of the road, but the rest of the portland thread was pretty uninformative.

whats the fuss with this city? just got here.

squats? collective houses? infoshops? places where travelers congregate? anything worth checking out at all?

lets make a good, comprehensive thread!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads