Portland, OR

MiztressWinter

Like A Boss
Reaction score
There's something you can obtain there in PDX called The Rosecity Resource Guide. I got mine from a street Vendor of Street Roots that stands out front of Safeway on Broadway. I'm sure there are other places to get these also, try the Portland City Rescue Mission perhaps on Burnside maybe? Pretty much everything you wanna know is in there. It tells where all the feeds are, free clothes, showers, medical etc etc etc. Hands down best resource guide I have ever used. If you need specific info on where anything is at until you can get a guide feel free to PM me and I can fill you in. As far as where people hang out, walk around anywhere downtown and you are bound to run into TONS of street kids. I just left PDX two weeks ago and it was CRAWLING with traveling kids.

Reactions: madcapcat

notconnerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Portland seems like it'd be okay for a day or two if you had money.

Otherwise, it's where all the scumfucks and oogles go to get drunk and shoot heroin. It's a dreary, detestable place where everyone's hatred for one another is exceeded only by their hatred of themselves. Portland is only nice in the summer time, but the aforementioned "traveling kids" completely ruin it, spanging and pretending to busk and generally disrupting everything. I don't know about you, but anywhere that's a destination for "Traveling kids" is not a destination of mine.

Sisters of the Road is a box full of junkies and psychopathic homebums. The Black Rose is actually quite cool, though, and I'm not even an anarchist. Also, there are some really neat cafes around that place, one in particular stands out in my memory but the name escapes me.

in summation, go to PDX and enjoy it for a day or two, then leave.

pip

Reaction score
theres the red and black cafe too,which is a good place to meet people. And theres lots of great music--There was a bunch of punk bands doing a gorilla show under one of the bridges,for example. Bad points being that there is SO. MUCH.HEROIN. good luck finding a place to sleep that hasnt been meticulously salted with dirty needles...And its tough to find places to get drunk or smoke pot or whatever.I stayed in PDX waaaaay too long.Than i lost my food stamp card and had to go back.Haha.

CuzIcan

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Also, there are other things to do there, Urban Garden raids (shhh), Watching the trains up on the bluffs, and of course throw darts at the oogles downtown. Oh and there is a KICK ASS pub up on Killingsworth just east of the hwy called Duckets. The Alibi om Interstate is kool, Satyricon rocks most times and the weeds not to bad...

The down fall of PDX is the great attraction it has to the looser side of the travel community, stay out of downtown if your lookin to hang out and waste time. Other wise hit the Red and white, the bluffs duckets or hit the rails get on down the road. Hawthorn is GREAT for busking, so are a lot of great areas in the inner N end...Take a maxx and venture about....You might be amazed at how great that town really is. Should have been there in the hay days. it was a great scene for years there.....Now i just swing through to visit the old haunts and see what's been built over old squats and camp sites...

My personal philosophy on getting to know a new town is, give it at least three weeks if ya really wanna develop a good feel. Don't let a first days bumming around build the whole opinion until you really feel it...I was there for at least 6 months the first time before i got bored...

And for sure get a hold of one of them little resource books Winter suggested. By far the most helpful little thing ever! I gave my last one to a young kid (15) that looked like he would get more use form it than i would.

Reaction score
PDX

Have you tried the Shanghai Tunnels?
There's also an abandoned gasworks building and an electrical supply building too I've never been but I heard they're cool, I could probably hook you up with directions if you message me..
Also in Wilsonville there is a pretty sweet building that used to be a mega church and I heard it used to be a wing of the old state hospital there but I don't know if that's true. Eastern Oregon has some sweet stuff too.

Kria

Reaction score
Hey im traveling in the states from Iceland, doing the westcoast for now.
im close to Vancouver right now and looking for (carnivore friendly) houses, people to hang out with and stay with in Portland, OR so i can head there in the next days, probably with the Bolt Bus either from here or Seattle
I like learning about plants and animals and shit..
Into all sorts of electronic music and black metal.
oh, and Im really good at baking for people with any sort of dietary restrictions.
Lemme know if you know of anything!

Hylyx

Reaction score
I'm in Portland now! Staying at a friends house, i don't think there is any more room but if you wanna meet up send me a message. Check out the Red & Black Cafe, I'm sure if you ask around there you will find somewhere to lay your head. :)

nrs13b

Reaction score
Ill be out there in late Nov. Lemme know if you want to hook up out there. I've never been to Portland before i hear its awesome even tho its gonna be cold as a witches tit.

Hylyx

Reaction score
try checking in at the Black Rose infoshop, they might be able to hook you up with like minded individuals

The Black Rose is no longer. :(
Laughing Horse is cool as fuck though. :) Also for food Check out The Sisters of the Road Cafe. Ya gotta get there early but it's totally worth it. :)

Reactions: madcapcat

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads