how do you kill snakes?

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
hey anybody ever eaten rattlesnake, copperheads etc, how do you kill them?

i knew a guy who'd pin their head w/ a stick, i'm really not a fan of getting that close to copperheads but maybe my fear is misplaced?

are they likely to slinkie towards you and bite your ankle, or will they just bite the stick/try to, or slither off? do they usually not associate you with the stick and strike at you?

I

IBRRHOBO

Got bit in Abilene, TX, by a rattler and it ain't NO punk! Lost a good part of my muscle over it! Sick for a month from the anti-venom and only got it 'cause my boss shot the fucker! Copperheads are worse as the're FAR more agressive than the rattler!

Anywayz, they have a rattlesnake round-up in TX. Sharks could probably tell u a lot more about it as she's down there.

I will tell u this: don't fuck w/'em unless u have to! And the babies are the worst as they'll kill u DEAD as they don't control the amount of venom. Also, down here in the south we have cotton mouths. Fuckers will get big as a forearm and 2 - 3 foot long. Curl up in trees down in the swamps and shit!

As to the ankle, remember this: a snake can strike in any direction INCLUDING up about the length of itself.

Good eating, though! And don't confuse a black snake w/a cottonmouth. Black's are good snakes. I go and catch 4 or 5 every spring to throw in my garden as they eat the other snakes!

compass

Lost
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with this, but according to people I've talked to and videos I've seen, you pin the head down with a stick, grab it close to the head, where it can't turn around and bite you, then cut it's head off.

It can always strike, but it's most dangerous when coiled, when it can strike the farthest.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Best to just leave the snakes alone. People that intentionally hunt them though usually wear a special type of high boots to lower the chances of getting bitten. I know that they sell these at places in Arizona but I don't know where else they might be found.

I

IBRRHOBO

Yup, they're called gatorz out here. U can use old tires w/straps to secure them from ur ankle up to the knee. Best to buy the real ones. They'll run u about $80. Don't buy the generic, made in China, shit.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
well i started killing diamond back rattlers when i was about 8 years old because i grew up in the middle of fucking no where. we allways just chopped their head off with a shovel or dropped a big ass rock on em. the to eat them you cut the head off, cut from the throat to the tail(belly), clean it, and cook it.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
I got bit by a bull snake on the wrist in the Okanagan a few years ago. I was a fool and grabbed it by the tail, and bashed it's head in before i even know what kind of snake it was. Not the best way to do it as they will just bite more, however Bull snakes just bite and are not poisonous, and eat rattlers.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
didn't you have to kill a dog when it came at ya dan? you need to remove that animal agression magnet :)
thanks ravie you are a fucking savage i am sorry i misssed redding, shit i missed canland too dan

KEVIlgeNius

Reaction score
no snake is poisonous, only venomous. The difference is that you can eat ANY snake (as long as you don't eat the venom sack). Rattlers have a striking distance of half their body length, which with the exception of the western diamond back, is usually only about 1.5 feet. First get to know the snakes in your area. Rattlesnake bites are actually more deadly with an antivenom then without, most hospitals will only keep you over night and watch the wound. So I guess all you need to do is get a long heavy stick and smash its face or throw rocks at it. The aboriginals, who live in one of the most highly populated region for venomous snakes, tenderize the snake first by wacking it on a log for an extended period of time. More rocks = better. when eating you should remember that snakes have a pair of rib bones for every scale along their belly, hard to eat.

yhcrana

Reaction score
Make sure the stick is of good size and strength, just keep hitting it until it stops moving. Or you can use the stick to pin it's head down, but make sure you keep the pressure on before you grab it, they wriggle out if you're not careful. You can stand on the head and cut where ever, I wouldn't mess with the head though, I'm pretty sure they work like wasps, they can get you even if they're dead, or freshly dead.

bobNkamille

Reaction score
well i started killing diamond back rattlers when i was about 8 years old because i grew up in the middle of fucking no where. we allways just chopped their head off with a shovel or dropped a big ass rock on em. the to eat them you cut the head off, cut from the throat to the tail(belly), clean it, and cook it.

thats how we use to kill them too with a shovel any ways my aim sucks so i think i would miss with a rock haha

Geoff

Reaction score
when we used to see them we would either fetch a shovel or a machete. i don't kill them anymore though.

seke

Reaction score
I couldn't kill a snake unless A) it was my life or its life, or B) I was starving to death, which is kinda like choice A.

tallhorseman

Reaction score
Snakes want to avoid you 10 times as much as you want to avoid them. The biggest danger from them is having one crawl up at night and mistake you for a big, warm rock. Then when you roll over they think they're being attacked a bite you in your sleep. That's why so many people sleep in hammocks when they camp. If you can see them they're practically helpless.

My opinion is that the most dangerous animal alive...

Is a greedy man.

crampicide

Reaction score
agreeing with what has been said- learn about the snakes in the area, find out the areas they are most likely to be in at certain times of the day and just stay away. snakes deserve mad respect, i think the more you learn and respect them the better chance you have if you come to face to face with them, fear makes us do stupid shit sometimes and understanding their nature gives you a better chance of avoiding confrontation. ha

living in the desert, ive found really rocky areas and tall grass is usually preferred areas for diamond backs/rattlers. ive never been bitten, but ive almost stepped on them and have seen them too close for comfort, they didnt seem to pay any mind, exept the one about i stepped on, i hauled ass when i heard its rattle (lucky).

if you must kill them, make sure if youre in the area- have something heavy and about as long as the snake on hand and pay attention! (;

as far as eating them..ive only seen my father eat them, he picks off desirable meat and smokes it. apparently, its good.

stove

Reaction score
As with everyone's advice, leave them the fuck alone.

That being said, the best/safest/easiest way to kill them is a .410 or .22 with birdshot and a wide dispersion barrel. Don't bother with a .12 gauge, it's overkill.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads