Home-Bum Security.

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I was talking with Dirty Rig on AIM just now about different things we do as a sort of "security" in a building were sleeping in. broken glass outside the door, and putting something heavy against the door that would make a thud loud enough to stir and wake us up, has came up as ways for an "alarm" type system.
I was wondering, what other things can one do in terms of a security-type system that lets you know someone is there and give you time to observe the situation and, if need be, grab your knife.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Well, I usually sleep out somewhere, so I have to keep things close. I usually just tie everything together and then tie it to my sleeping bag or ground cloth, then I put something in a plastic grocery bag on top of my stuff. If anything moves it will make a little noise and tug on me. I wake up pretty easily. I figure no one has any reason to be messing with my shit or being that close to me while I'm asleep, so I'll probably just start stabbing/slashing if I don't immediately recognize the face above me.

I haven't really put much though into it, just something I started to do. I'm sure I could think of some cool things to do though. I'm going to start setting up homebum snares baited with something of the high gravity variety.

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
haha. i pictured that and also like old cartoons with that road runner bird thing and the anvils. yeah cant remember the name, hope you know what im talkin about haha.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
The Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote. I know it all too well. Story of my fucking life (the road runner and wile e. coyote are symbolic and interchangeable of so many things). Not really, but damn it sure feels like it sometimes.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
The funniest security set up I had was with a bunch of accordian doors and those free standing movie advertisments made of glossy cardboard to give someone a scare.

sprout

Reaction score
Our beloved guard dog let us down in Boston. Tweaker home-bums ended up stealing A LOT of stuff from us while we slept. Mostly sentimental things were lost but they did take two pairs of boots, so two of my buddys walked around Massachussetts barefoot for a bit.

Rash L

Reaction score
bell/jingles on the doorknob, string shin-high across the doorway... usually if I'm going to be staying anywhere for an extended amount of time I install latch(es) and use a padlock.

I hate when people do the broken glass bit, mostly because I hate the idea of my dog walking through broken glass. Thankfully the dog I have now is small enough to easily pick up and carry over a glass line, but then you always have stray shards around.... bleh.

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Never squatted, but I've camped plenty. If possible I make a brush pile fence at least four feet high, one entrance in front, one in the back, both with an alarm line. Handy if a bear, coyote or wild pig shows up while you're sleeping. If I don't have time/materials for that:

Fishing line strung with soda/beer cans around the perimeter, at least ten feet from my pad, one strand about 3 feet off the ground another one just high enough that the cans are about two inches off the ground.

If neither one is an option, I keep a big spring loaded rat trap in my bag and a couple rolls of those little paper noisemaker caps. Tape as many caps as you can on the base of the trap, right where the bar hits. Ready the trap, but don't put the catch lever down. Very Carefully set the trap on the ground and put your stuff on top to hold down the bar. Makes a hell of racket if somebody grabs your bag.

Repeat the process in reverse to disarm. Gets tricky if you've gotta grab and go, I'll have to work on some way to make it train-hopper friendly...

Now that I think about it, those rat traps could come in handy for squatters too...

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
Some sort of trip-wire shotgun defense.

Eeeeeeeexcellent.
bscap0331.jpg

whaleofashrimp

Reaction score
floriscent light bulbs..whole... to keep the dogs safe...a barracade...they'll make noise movesing the woodent plywood barricade..if they dont id themselves when we tell them we wont tell them about the piano wire set up for them to fall on the bulbs :hysterical:

some say it's cruel..buit it really worked well against a guy on meth looking to fuck with us once

oldmanLee

Reaction score
A lot of years ago,an old trapper up in New Hampshire taught me how to build a version of the rattrap noisemaker ,but with the bonus that it was on a pivot,had a barrel,and fired off a muzzle loading charge of small shot or finishing nails.Works great,but not something you want to have loaded in your pack!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads