Favorite hitching sign | Page 9 | Squat the Planet

Favorite hitching sign

H

hamikman

When I used to hitch a lot I would write the name of a big city in a continent that I wasn't in. In Australia I would hold a sign that would say "Amsterdam" etc. Made people laugh or wonder wtf and I'd get rides a lot. Kinda breaks the ice without having to say a word.

Eadoin

Reaction score
next im going to try is "GOTHAM CITY"

• Agree
Reactions: TheFreemanguy

Puckett

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Ks is home & damn tornados bring me back everytime
"Jesus Would Help Me Out" works the best of anything I have ever used.
But then again, I travel almost exclusively in the South.
Even if people won't pick you up, the sign stirs them to pull over and give me a few bucks.

i would have a sign that said Jesus was a travler too. it worked really good

chaosfactorxx

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've flown "I got stories." which got us pretty decent rides.
But i've always wanted to fly "don't make me walk!" and see if it worked.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
We Got Beer!!! works well in dry counties, or in states that don't sell booze on Sundays. I think I got the idea somewhere on here, but couldn't find the post again. Well props to whoever posted it, it works like a charm. P.S. It's a good idea to have some booze when they pick you up, or you got some explaining to do!

Reactions: bryanpaul

embleerrah

Reaction score
we always will fly a sign that just says the next biggest city.
one of my rod dogs knows a guy who got a hitching thumb tattooed on the inside of his arm. so he justs walks backwards with his arm out.
honestly, I've found one of the biggest challenges, is that people don't have enough time to respond, and by the time they decide to pick you up, it's too late, and they're down the road.

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
'NOT AN AX MURDERER'. Was stuck in Tucumcari, NM for a goood long while, so I made up that sign. Literally 5 minutes later, our ride across the whole blessed state shows up. He said he hadn't even read the sign, though, but... 'twas good. :)

SeanLocks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
your sign may vary but I always put a smiley face on it. Seems more welcoming. And I always try and seem not threatening with my body language. Smiling, throwing up a peace sign, or even the devil horns if ya see a fellow metalhead or punk driving by. My fav quote is "free hug for ride anywhere"

dylann

Reaction score

FLoP

Reaction score
I couldn't buy a ride out of jax one day. I counted 550 cars go buy. I was holding a $5 and the sign was 95 south. Finally a guy I noticed in the city earlier that day (he was blaring metal) picked me up. In Tallahassee I had one of those cardboard boxes that breaks down and opens up to be like 6 feet long. I JUST NEED A RIDE!! Got picked up pretty quick after I changed to that. I got $10, bread, and ham and a two hour ride. But I usually just hook a sign to my bag with my destination and start walking. I could stand around for six hours or walk for the same amount and get somewhere.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads