Favorite hitching sign

daveycrockett

Reaction score
I've always thrown out my thumb. Only sign i ever made in 20 something years of hitching. Texas to NYC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210901-173745_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210901-173745_Instagram.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: Bibs

WestOfSunset

Reaction score
i just hitched down the 101 too, from coos bay to san francisco. the two kids i was travelling with had a banjo and a washboard and every time we were waiting for a ride, they would just set up and play. we got rides so quickly, i felt bad that i was just holding the sign, but i think we looked like such bumpkins people assumed we were harmless =)
Even without instruments, I will start singing a song to myself making up words about how I need a ride and seem to get picked up pretty quick. I think the appearance of me talking to myself is eased by the the purity of intention or something... and the power of music compels!

Reactions: NamelessExistence

Zippy Blamo

fucking old
Reaction score
I always eschewed clever slogans and jokes in favor of things that can be read from far away: the name of the next large city or general direction (EAST) in solid block capitals as big and bold as I can manage without looking like a serial killer about it.

sevedemanos

Reaction score
Hats are useful. And a big smile. Look happy, like you've not been standing there for hours. Stand as far back on the on ramp as it's legal to so people have the time to think about it. And whatever language they might speak, everyone knows body language.

Reactions: NamelessExistence

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads