Favorite hitching sign | Page 10 | Squat the Planet

Favorite hitching sign

dharmabum

Reaction score
standing on I-40 at Flagstaff AZ for about an hour. another hitcher shows up - looks at all the cardboard signs strewn all over.
picks up one saying MARS. started flying it and we had a ride within 5 minutes. the driver had the punchline - she said "well, I'm not going THAT far..."

Monterey

Reaction score
I have tried SO many signs and really I think they are irrelevant. Personally, I like "Free Hitchhiker", but that is just to entertain myself. The most important thing for hitchhiking, in my experience, is eye contact and a positive demeanor without looking like I am trying too hard. This is with my pit bull dog. She is a sweetie. Most people say I looked friendly so they picked me up. Eye contact eye contact eye contact and smile. Faster than anything else I have tried. More often than not, standing, eye contact, and a smile gets me a ride within 30 minutes, and we all know, that is GOOD.
On a side note, I never ever ever ever ever hitch with a girl. That is how you get the predators. I had a serial killer pick me and my GF up once and shove a gun in our faces to kidnap and murder us. We ended up spending the night playing cat and mouse in the woods with him until we finally got away. No girls for me, thanks.

-Monterey

Reactions: Ynwdwndrr

zoe420

Reaction score
I have tried SO many signs and really I think they are irrelevant. Personally, I like "Free Hitchhiker", but that is just to entertain myself. The most important thing for hitchhiking, in my experience, is eye contact and a positive demeanor without looking like I am trying too hard. This is with my pit bull dog. She is a sweetie. Most people say I looked friendly so they picked me up. Eye contact eye contact eye contact and smile. Faster than anything else I have tried. More often than not, standing, eye contact, and a smile gets me a ride within 30 minutes, and we all know, that is GOOD.
On a side note, I never ever ever ever ever hitch with a girl. That is how you get the predators. I had a serial killer pick me and my GF up once and shove a gun in our faces to kidnap and murder us. We ended up spending the night playing cat and mouse in the woods with him until we finally got away. No girls for me, thanks.

-Monterey
What?? This sounds scary

Monterey

Reaction score
The eye contact or the serial killer? Yeah, it was when I was around 22. When things go down like that you don't get scared. You just take care of it and have your nervous breakdown after. Don't get me wrong. I love women, I will hop with them, but I won't hitch with one. No offense.
-Monterey

Reactions: trickdaley

zoe420

Reaction score
The eye contact or the serial killer? Yeah, it was when I was around 22. When things go down like that you don't get scared. You just take care of it and have your nervous breakdown after. Don't get me wrong. I love women, I will hop with them, but I won't hitch with one. No offense.
-Monterey
I'm just wondering what position that would put me in. As a woman. What do you think? Are women better off staying off the road?

Monterey

Reaction score
Well, the thing is, I don't want to come off like a caveman. "puny woman stay in kitchen where it safe". But seriously, especially if you have not spent a lot of time on the roads, travel with a guy and have the guy sit directly behind the driver. I highly suggest trains. Just my two cents.

-Monterey

• Useful
Reactions: TanMan and zoe420

zoe420

Reaction score
Well, the thing is, I don't want to come off like a caveman. "puny woman stay in kitchen where it safe". But seriously, especially if you have not spent a lot of time on the roads, travel with a guy and have the guy sit directly behind the driver. I highly suggest trains. Just my two cents.

-Monterey
Well I'm just asuming trains are dangerous as well cause the train itself can be a killer?? Of course I'm no expert on this and I appreciate the advice but do you really mean that???(puny woman........ect.) what if all travelers were men?

Monterey

Reaction score
Well I'm just asuming trains are dangerous as well cause the train itself can be a killer?? Of course I'm no expert on this and I appreciate the advice but do you really mean that???(puny woman........ect.) what if all travelers were men?

Nah, there are plenty of women on the road. Riding trains is crazy easy if you have someone teach you how to do it. Just never ever ever drink before hopping out. Always have a gallon of water with a screw top, not a pop top. Most amputation stories start with, we all got so wasted and...

-Monterey

zoe420

Reaction score
Nah, there are plenty of women on the road. Riding trains is crazy easy if you have someone teach you how to do it. Just never ever ever drink before hopping out. Always have a gallon of water with a screw top, not a pop top. Most amputation stories start with, we all got so wasted and...

-Monterey
haha ill keep it in mind..not really a drinker anyways but I wouldn't even try to hop without someone experienced there with me. And I wouldn't hitchhike alone either

bryanpaul

Reaction score
not sure if she's still on squatheplanet....but a facebook buddy of mine took this...don't think she'd mind me sharin it here.......cracked me the fuck up

165803_458079570870140_863792823_n.jpg

Ri Raw

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I always write home really big so that people will assume im not homeless. And I also write the direction and the city because sometimes people who are on the road for the long haul, especially now with GPS and people might not have looked at an actual map, they might not realize what they are passing.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Sex is optional. (just gets odd reactions tho i was told it works,ill get a ride with it soon enough!)

Don't be a pussy pick me up! (caught a ride with that one once,and alot of smiles from chicks lol)

Not a CEREAL killer (that one works too lol)

Oh and i was outside alberqurue new mexico and wasn't getting any damn rides then thought up what about...Shoot me $2 lol.I shit you not in 30 min 2 cops showed up and told me not to fly that sign that i am likely to get shot.I hated NM it was such a pain in the ass state.Gahh!

But yeah if the ole thumb isn't working ill just make a sign to whatever the next city/town is or next state.

Thumbing has gotten me pretty dang far but sometimes only a sign will work.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads