Best places in America?

severegout

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ethernet.org
DENVER!!!!

More medical marijuana dispensaries than McDonalds and Starbucks combined!

Awesome train watching... great spring/summer/fall weather (winter sucks hard but with the 3 other seasons being superb it's an easy choice to stay)... nice people and good shows!!!!

If you come to Denver please stay off the 16th St Mall, shoot me a PM and i'll show you a better time.

CanoeTramp

Reaction score
i am curious why southside is your fav neighborhood. zenith is there which is neato if you have 10 dollars for brunch on a sunday. but other than that..
Could it be more ambiguous that you're not from Pgh. and hav'nt spent a significant amount of time there?. You most likly only saw about 5% of the south side. Next time you visit turn the other direction when you come off the south end of the Birmingham bridge.-Better yet take the 10th street bridge to the south side. If you really want to experience what E. Carson St. has to offer, - start at the corner of S.7th st. & E. Carson and walk east until you reach the Birmingham bridge. You should find something of interest on every block,- The 1300 block being the most interesting. - Give it a chance and maybe you'll come to love it as much as I do.

PFAT

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i really liked ventura, california
its in the oxnard county, like, 50 miles north of L.A.

denver, co is alright if you know what you're doing and how to get around, but its hard to find a place to sleep. no where very safe, for sure. and i heard there are some squats there, but i never saw any, or met any longtime squatters there. oh yeah, and the cops are real big dicks on 16th st.

Yeah you definitely just need to know where to look. There's lots of places to stay (i'll be there soon too)
16th is worthless for travelers
It's really spread out too... but if you find where you need to be it's awesome and the train yards are super nice.

Hollywood

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Could it be more ambiguous that you're not from Pgh. and hav'nt spent a significant amount of time there?. You most likly only saw about 5% of the south side. Next time you visit turn the other direction when you come off the south end of the Birmingham bridge.-Better yet take the 10th street bridge to the south side. If you really want to experience what E. Carson St. has to offer, - start at the corner of S.7th st. & E. Carson and walk east until you reach the Birmingham bridge. You should find something of interest on every block,- The 1300 block being the most interesting. - Give it a chance and maybe you'll come to love it as much as I do.

i didn't grow up in pittsburgh but i've lived outside of it my whole life and been there a lot so i'd like to think i know it pretty well but i hate the fucking south side compared to the rest of pittsburgh. i'd rather be in bloomfield, lawrenceville, polish hill, garfield, etc. southside is full of idiot college kids and brodowns at bars on the weekends.

Reactions: ericwild

CanoeTramp

Reaction score
i didn't grow up in pittsburgh but i've lived outside of it my whole life and been there a lot so i'd like to think i know it pretty well but i hate the fucking south side compared to the rest of pittsburgh. i'd rather be in bloomfield, lawrenceville, polish hill, garfield, etc. southside is full of idiot college kids and brodowns at bars on the weekends.
I apologize, my reply was'nt meant to be disparging. I'm sorry you feel the way you do about the s. side. I'd still reccommend it as a must see to any traveler. Bloomfield, Polish Hill, The Strip, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Mt. Washington, and The Mexican War Streets I'd add to the list. I'm not in to the nightlife of any city. The asshole-suburbanites and college kids that flock to e. carson st. on weekend nights have always been a problem, and that might be the one thing that sucks about the south side, but if you're a local you find away to deal with it . I haven't been to Pgh. in years, and I'm assuming that the s.side works development has only compounded that problem. The old J&L Steel works site should have been made into a park not another shopping mall and cinaplex.- It's as if a piece of suburbia was transplanted to the s.side,- What a shame.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
God Damn!!! I can't believe how many people mentioned w.mass!!! Personally I'm from there (the ghetto part anyways) and spend most of my time avoiding that place. Save yourself the snobbery and/or junkies and head up to brattleboro or hop east out to maine. Way chiller and much better panhandling.

Personally I'm mostly a fan of Norcal, the pacific northwest minus seattle, the bay area, upperstate NY and the city. I'm not much one for deserts, but the bnsf line through northern AZ / NM is pretty breathtaking. Tennessee can be an awesome state but it helps to know people, although I've also had tons of fun just hitching through.

nytovatime2go

Reaction score
richmond's pretty chill.
hate norfolk/virginia beach. vb just passed a law banning sleeping on the beaches cuz some dump truck picking up trash rain over a homeless guy. cops are dicks in vb, norfolk's cops wont hassle you too bad, but there's too many crackheads to really spange and be successful.
san francisco's my favorite by far.especially since i grew up in virginia beach, and was so used to catching heat for doing anything. sf's laid back in that regard, and there's a lot of cool people passing through all the time.
austin's another good one i liked.always something going on and most the people i encountered were friendly.

derailed

Reaction score
North East Iowa(Prairie du Chien),western montana,all the New England states in the spring/summer/fall are awesome for scenic views, great cities to visit are Pittsburgh,Philly,New York,Key West,Montreal,Portland(both maine and oregon),Athens,GA, Spokane,WA...thats pretty much all i can think of now,just my personal taste really...

prairie du Chien is in Wisconsin, not Iowa. I'd love to know where you were hanging out, because we got literally run out of town within 6 hours.

Reactions: sewerowl

trenwren

Reaction score
I love Humboldt, Cali . . . but seriously, watch out for the cops. Especially in Eureka. Murderers. Autumn in Humboldt gets a little weird because of all the paranoia & greed with the growers over harvest season. Winter is a little depressing (if you've lived anywhere San Fran to Vancouver, you'll know what I mean.) But spring & summer there are just glorious, so amazing.

trenwren

Reaction score
So many people here have mentioned Asheville, but I didn't see anything about Boone. I've heard it's a nicer place to be than Asheville if you want to avoid yuppies & trustafarians.

shittickit

Reaction score
i like minot n.d. i dont love l.a. but palmdale-lancaster is awesome and i love racine-kenosha wis arkansas is beutiful in the fall but my best time that i ever had on the road were brewton ala. and franklin vir. but i think those times were freeks of nature and wouldn't reccomend either of those places as a destination

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads