Best places in America?

freeganmachine

Reaction score
While I was driving on the highway to get to the city, I got pulled over because I was going 3 miles under the speed limit. 3 miles. Seriously? The pig walked up to my window and asked if I was on drugs. Guess he just didn't like my bumper stickers.

Whats in Nelson?

bryanpaul

Reaction score
if your still in oregon.... eugene and ashland are pretty hippyish........

Dmac

Reaction score
check out the black butte center for railroad culture by weed ca. they have a website, looks like a cool place.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
check out the black butte center for railroad culture by weed ca. they have a website, looks like a cool place.
that place is amazing!...the folks there are really nice too...definitely check that out..

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
If you are headed south (being in Oregon):
Eugene and Ashland for sure, though if you have a car, I would always recommend sticking to the coast, maybe going like Eugene, Flornce, coos Bay, Ashland, then thinking of heading back out to the coast...
Bagby hotsprings
Smith river and the Redwoods in Northern California
NorCal should start trim season right now, tons of hippies and work to be done, if you are there in about a month, the market will be totally flooded and weed will rain from the sky (hence, way too many hippies are around in northern towns like Arcata, Chico, Ukiah, Mendocino....)
Of course SanFrancisco bay area if you haven't been on the west coast, Oakland is my favorite, but SanFran and Berkeley have more hippies...
Santa Cruz
Head south into BigSur, enjoy hot springs and sneak into the Esalen institute for amazing baths over the ocean
Then head out to Slab City and help Kat and Penny build community.

uncivilize

Reaction score
The Black Butte Center for Railroad Culture IS an amazing place, and there are many people that want to make sure it stays that way! Some of the people that used to be on this site and were involved in all the stupid train hopping drama that occurred a while back are VERY involved with that place, and you'd likely run into some. There's a work party coming up in September if you want to meet a bunch of cool folks, see some punk shows and pitch in and help make the place even better. RESPECT is the key word, they have no problem taking care of pieces of shit.

And everything Cardboard said would make for an amazing journey, except maybe for the slabs.

180 Degrees

Reaction score
Baker City, Oregon. Look for Saint John. Really cool guy. He and his wife have a small self-sustained farm they occupy and hippies from way back. 60's-70's-ish. Said they got tired of San Fran and NY. Cheers!

xRastaxRuggzx

Reaction score
San Luis Obispo county has a few small towns in the area, a buncha dried up river beds to traverse around. Id spend days there just walking, imagining the life that once was lived.
Carlsbad NM has some beautiful caverns, Carlsbad National Caverns is one of the deepest caverns in North America. It also is home to a really sweet bat colony that comes out of the ampitheatre at the end of the tour around dusk.
|

jjoshea

Reaction score
missoula mt. but be prepared for winter,get good gear,a bike, they have a good center on ryman st. if you are broke. cops are low key,plenty of legal weed. for get cali. that dream died 20 years ago. baker citi aint bad,kind cowboy town.eugene isa good place.oregon is kinda over the bust every one they can to fill their prisons,cause their gov. is broke. montana has a good aint gov. spirit,and a survival spirit thats prepared for the fall.shit how bad can a place be where when youre crossing the steet people stop to let you cross.

Reactions: TGandChunk

Kodiak

Reaction score
Baker City, Oregon. Look for Saint John. Really cool guy. He and his wife have a small self-sustained farm they occupy and hippies from way back. 60's-70's-ish. Said they got tired of San Fran and NY. Cheers!
I lived there years ago, my cousins where from La Grande which is not far from there. I loved the area

freeganmachine

Reaction score
Earth- no, not on drugs that day, lol. and my poor psychedelic car doesnt work anymore, I can't remember what any of the bumper stickers said. a friend of mine spraypainted a huge squatter symbol on the hood, though.

Blackout Beetle

Reaction score
Glenwood Springs, CO is pretty chill. They have free hot springs if you can find em. they were all flooded when i was there so i never got around to seeing them.

Glenwood Springs is very chill, you're talking about the hippie dips right off the highway! Ashland Oregon is my home skillet though that place is bomb and the kids are all great! Most of Oregon is pretty kickass. I didn't like Eugene that much though the kids are kinda sheisty...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Laz777

Reaction score
Nevada County, California
easiest thumbing in the world (drop pack, stick thumb out at first car, car stops) nicest folks (oh, you're going up that way, I've got some time I'll take you 15 miles out of my way) beautiful scenery (South Yuba State Park, Tahoe NF)
don't partake of any herbal remedies anymore, but people hand me the stuff anyhow (bring it to friends)
prettiest wymen anywhere (go to Oak Tree on the south Yuba!)

also anywhere on state route 49 (the Golden Chain Freeway)...takes you through place like Cool (it is!), Coloma (where the gold rush began), Jamestown (great burger joint downtown), Sonora, Mariposa!!!! ...love you folks there,if any of you are reading this....

love northern Nevada too, anywhere but Reno/Sparks that is. have a place in my heart for Fernley, even though it's tough as hell to get a ride out of there, but the people are fantastic (was welcomed into 3 different homes there on seperate trips through).
West Wendover is fun, flying's only good on the weekends though.

in SoCal, Yucca Valley was cool, so was Apple Valley.

I avoid Vegas like the plague (fuckers still got a warrant out for me on a 3 year old hitchhiking ticket) I'm damn glad to GTFO.
Idaho on US 93 in Lincoln and Butte counties was such a friggin hassle to thumb thru, but I'll give a big smile to Couer d'Alene and Salmon.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads