"Yuppie Packs" | Page 4 | Squat the Planet

"Yuppie Packs"

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
wtf is a yuppie pack?

i have a very nice pack i got from rei. i found the one i liked, filled it up, acted like i was trying it out, talked to employees about the pack (i actually do this quite a bit when i steal), and when i was ready walked right out. no one even fucking blinked an eye. overtime the pack got dirty and worn a little and you couldn't even tell it was a nice pack even though it still functioned perfectly. i have a shit back because a few years ago i fell from a 2 story building and tore my back up. these rei or kelty bags or the only thing ill use anymore. if i use an alice pack or anything that doesn't have straps and i gotta take breaks with the pack off. with my kelty i can hike for hours no problem

bote

Reaction score
neglected to mention (maybe on purpose) that mine is the ultimate yuppie pack, North Face. Even after 12 years of use (my brother had the pack and passed it on a few years ago) it still has that je-ne-sais-quoi that suggests there might be something valuable inside it.

Just wanted to say that my suggestion of cutting off tension straps was directed at verifiably useless straps only. My pack had four, plus aluminum staves that added weight and didnt really do shit to stiffen the frame.

From what Ive seen, exterior frame packs are lighter and cooler (thats right, fucking cooler).

wartomods

Reaction score
my pack is frameless, it is light, but it needs proper storage method to balance the lack of frame

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
From what Ive seen, exterior frame packs are lighter and cooler (thats right, fucking cooler).

Yeah, my pack is very comfy to carry but it's not cooler, especially during the summer months. I end up with a huge sweat stain all over my back from packing the thing.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score

There are some internal frame packs which have air spaces between the pack and your back, the frame is bent a bit like an archery bow with the string in the nocks, but instead of string, it has mesh. Those things are great when it's hot out, but just like an exterior frame pack, they are not squishable.

gangleri

Reaction score
Yeah, I recently had my pack stolen and got a lucrative two-day job where I was headed (within days of each other), so I ended up plunking down some money on a decent pack from REI. Thankfully, they had that big sale going on and I already had some credit with them, so it wasn't too much of a hit in the long run. I've been concerned about the 'yuppy pack' effect though, as this one is a bit shinier than my last one that I'd had since I was a wee lad. I'd like to try the rit-dye thing cause its this god-awful orange that stands out like crazy.

I've also been considering the idea of making some kind of stowable, cinchable tarp cover that I could use to keep it dry/discrete when necessary. Like getting a little tarp, sewing a cord into the outside of it so it could cinch down over the form of the pack when covered, and then putting the whole thing in a little pouch on sewn to the side of my bag so it could be pulled out and put away easily. Maybe I'm overthinking this. Anyone seen anything like this?

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I try to stick with internal frames so i don't get dissed at clubs or. grainer holes. external frames have good weight support, but the frame gets caught all the time bushwacking and in tight spots. large packs come with a curse, if you have the room you'll use it. it is nice to be able to fit 2 space bags for those long hauls if your legs can handle the hike to the yard.

Reactions: Psi em

Mari3L

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a 'yuppy' pack as well although i'm running into some trouble. It almost seems worth getting a large day pack rather than some of these gigantic multidays. There doesn't seem to be an inbetween.

I figure if a day pack can hold a tent, sleeping bag, tarp, two pairs of pants, a couple shirts, rain gear, food and then all the trinkets like a multi-tool, tape, paracord etc then I should just go with it.

I wouldn't feel weird in the woods with a giant red pack. I WOULD feel weird walking down a city street with one.

What do you all think - from experience - I should do?

gangleri

Reaction score
I guess all the day-packs I've seen have been exceptionally small. Do you have an example of one that would fit all this gear? I'd love to find something smaller/more subtle.

wartomods

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a 'yuppy' pack as well although i'm running into some trouble. It almost seems worth getting a large day pack rather than some of these gigantic multidays. There doesn't seem to be an inbetween.

I figure if a day pack can hold a tent, sleeping bag, tarp, two pairs of pants, a couple shirts, rain gear, food and then all the trinkets like a multi-tool, tape, paracord etc then I should just go with it.

I wouldn't feel weird in the woods with a giant red pack. I WOULD feel weird walking down a city street with one.

there are several hiking bags that are very similar to the big ones but have only 30 litres or so of capacity

Mari3L

Reaction score
I'm not sure why it only occured to me just now but it would make infinitely more sense to just buy a bag, bring it home, load it up with the contents of my old bag and see if it can hold everything. Then return it if its not what I want.

I hate being watched by lots of employees anyways, so this plan will work for me.

Poe Boy

Reaction score

1.) That's a lot of shit for a daypack. I'd look in the 40-50 liter (2400-3000CI) packs. Upside is, they'll have a better suspension, too.

2.) It depends on your style of hobo. If you're into the crusty look, a big, red, new pack is going to stick out like a sore thumb. If more of the modern hobo, then the big red pack looks right. I've known quite a few modern hobos that most people couldn't tell they were hobos (you have to know what to look for), and used "yuppie" packs. I was more the crusty type, and no one looked twice at my medium ALICE.

stove

Reaction score
a 30 or 35 liter pack should be able to hold everything you need, assuming you aren't venturing too far into the wilderness and won't need to carry many days of food. They should be less expensive than expedition-sized packs, costing around $100-$150 for a pretty nice pack (Much less, if necessary).

Just a thought.

freepizzaforlife

Reaction score
fucking honestly, who cares. a pack is a pack. they all do the same thing. I have some rediculious kelty pack I stole from my dad when I first "ran off". its an internal frame. its comfortable. but it gets really hot in the summer and hella sweaty. but it gets the job done. and thats all that matters.

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
I got my alice pack from a buddy who handed it down after he didn't need it anymore, so I've been using that since I got it. If someone came up to me and gave me a free $200+ REI bag, fuck yeah I'd use it. But I'm not about to PAY for one. I have better things to spend my money on. Like peanut butter and blunt wraps.

wartomods

Reaction score
i dont know , but here the more neon colors (purple, pink, orange green etc) you have in the backpack the more people and other travellers assume you are a crazy bumhead.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I've also been considering the idea of making some kind of stowable, cinchable tarp cover that I could use to keep it dry/discrete when necessary. Like getting a little tarp, sewing a cord into the outside of it so it could cinch down over the form of the pack when covered, and then putting the whole thing in a little pouch on sewn to the side of my bag so it could be pulled out and put away easily. Maybe I'm overthinking this. Anyone seen anything like this?

you can buy these at stores that sell backpacks. i'm not sure how easy it is to make your own. but if you can save the $10 or $15, great.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads