What would you put in your 72-Hour food bag? | Squat the Planet

What would you put in your 72-Hour food bag?

Smallredbox

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I have been wondering recently what food you guys would bring with you if you needed a bag prepped with 72 hours worth of food.

Translation: What food would you bring that could last three days?
(Eating fairly comfortably every day)
A few guidelines:

-Assume that you would find no other food within these three days

-Assume for this exercise you have unlimited water.
(the "1 gallon per person per day" would weigh about 24 pounds, just in water. for one person)*

So, what food would you bring?
I have 2 packs ramen, peanut butter, bread for my bag right now. planning on adding a fruit.
(I haven't really fleshed mine out yet, but I'd love to get a discussion going)

Anyhow, post what you'd bring. Lets keep it a fun and insightful topic :cheers:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Extra Questions
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

*How far under 1 gallon you can survive on comfortably, assuming fair weather?

PS: This topic is still under development. I'll try to being some more ideas to the table.
Also, if this specific topic has been posted elsewhere, sorry in advance. I did search for it though.:ph34r:

Reactions: Psi em

narstypants

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
when and if I bring food its usually dehydrated..
Dehydrated fruit and trail mix is the best.
Beef Jerky and dehydrated chilli and soup mix from the bulkbarn are usually in my pack..

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
Lots of light stuff....
energy bars
dried fruit, raisins, cranberries etc
booze
Some fresh fruit
dried instant soups, even Miso soup just to warm myself up
freeze dried meals for emergencies
more booze...concentrated, overproof...also a fuel for beer-can stove, and first aid use, or so i tell myself

Rash L

Reaction score
being the spoiled lazy wench I am (and having free access to military crap) I would bring 3 or 4 MREs (depending on who I'm going with, I know some people who are always trying to eat my food), a few tea bags, and some beef jerky (if I could afford it). I'd probably bring the vegetarian omelet, beef ravioli, grilled chicken, and Marinara sauce and Meatball meals. :p

If I didnt have free MREs.... I'd probably go with ramen, tuna, bread, peanut butter, trail mix, and dehydrated chili. Dont forget some hot sauce.

wartomods

Reaction score
A big piece of true bread ( i dont know if there is true bread anymore in the americas , bread that stays with the same quality/taste and is eatable for weeks), a piece of cheese (the same applied), salami, muesli (with fibers), some kind of jam, and you could aswell throw whatever you'd like, three days is short time almost anything properly stored in a backpack can endure three days. What i said would go for weeks.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Hmmmmm....from a omnivourous position............
Logan bread(molasses/honey/wholewheat non-yeast bread,keeps for months,found a loaf made two years before,and it was still edible),2 lbs.
Dried fruit(mixed) 2 lbs.
SPAM(yep,the old mil-spec standby,the canadian version,KLIK,is better) 6 cans,4.5 lbs.
hot sauce,.5 lb
tea n'sugar,1 lb total.
6 each small cans V-8 and pinapple juice,3 lbs. total
fishing kit,2 packs smokes,4 lighters,stuffed into billycan,1lb.
Resses Peanut Butter Cups,1 lb.
6 1 gal size ziplock freezer bags
This is figured on available potable water,and that you are going somewhere at a fast walk,on the move for aprox. 10 hours out of the day.This stuffed into a pack,along with a tarp,poncho,and wool blanket;with a canteen on the outside,was my fav for extended weekend hunting.

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
If it's a situation limited to 72hrs... NOTHING.

Following your guideline of unlimited water, there is absolutely no need to carry food for a trip of short duration. I almost never do! It is truly amazing how long the human body can go without food.
While it is nice and comforting to sit down to a meal, {and as anyone on here who's met me can vouch, I ain't missed many meals :) }, unless you have a very serious medical condition you can easily go a full month without food without doing your body any harm at all. Hell, you'll still be crapping at day 12-13 !!!

As long as you can stay in water, and if exercising/humping a pack, a little salt, you're good to go. I really encourage anyone who hasn't tried it to go a month without eating. It's an amazing experience, and you'll be shocked at how much energy you have once your body starts to burn it's reserves!

Of course, if you just want suggestions on food for a bugout bag or short trip I go with:
Ramen
pouches chix. or tuna
instant grits, butter or cheese flavor

Reactions: Doc Road

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
If I'm up and moving for those three days:

3 packs Ramen
1 liter sized baggy of oatmeal mixed with honey, graham crackers, peanut butter(crunchy) and raisins/dried cranberries.
3 small cans of chili, beef stew or chicken and dumplings
2 small cans of refried beans
big bag of tortilla chips
a pound of some kind of green vegetable.
about a pound of banana chips
Hot sauce

If I'm going to be stationary most of that 72 hours:
2 packs of ramen
2 cans of veggie soup
a bag of tortilla chips
Hot sauce

As for the extra question:
Assuming fair weather,1/3 - half a gallon if I'm sitting around, 2/3 - 3/4 gallon if I'm active.

Smallredbox

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Well the thing is, I go on walking trips for fun, so I'm away from solid food sources for a day or so, often walking 15 miles or more (my max was about 33 miles in one day. I felt like dying the day after)

Now strictly speaking, I COULD make it without food for 3 days, but I would be very fatigued and miserable, and I wouldn't be living comfortably.

Reaction score
instant noodles
oat cakes
fig rolls/newtons
chocolate/mint cake-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendal_Mint_Cake
mixed nuts

should be plenty in that lot.

that true bread wartomods mentioned is very good too,id imagine it'd be available in any stores catering to russians/eastern europeans,thats where i get mine anyway.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
bread, a big bag of hot cheetos, chili, peanut butter, and hot sauce that combined makes a damn good sandwhich!!!

tumtum

Reaction score
rememberusername said:
EBT card
peanut butter (not in glass jar)
tortillas (instead of loaf of bread)(Naan is thin also, and may have better carbs)
trail mix
jerky (depending on where you get it from)
chocolates (for cold, lack of quick energy)
good stuff!
also i like:
bananas
cliff bars (or something along those lines)
tuna fish

Rash L

Reaction score
yeah EBT is like a credit card that they give you. It has a Food Stamp balance that you can use for food, and a Cash balance if you are allowed (sign up for and are approved) that kind of thing.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads