Squatters Needed to Maintain Library | Squat the Planet

Squatters Needed to Maintain Library

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
Well, some fortuitous events have led me to wanting to go and buy myself a farm. I've been running an off-grid library in the famous squatter town of Slab City, and I don't want to just abandon it.

The Library has been the home of the last two STP gatherings and may possibly host more in the future. It's a beautiful spot. What I need is people who are willing to sit over the (very) hot season and make sure tweakers don't steal everything. There isn't much required other than to monitor the space... I'm not accepting just anyone, but if you are interested hit me up. The facilities are good, we have a trailer that is fitted with air conditioning to help you not die... We will do our best to have a generator available.

This Library is completely off-grid in an anarchist squatter town in the desert. It is also a great home-space and a functioning library with a bar. You can make a meager living off of this place if you keep cold beers and hand-made crafts on hand to sell to tourists and locals...

I haven't fleshed this idea out too much, I'm sure that the idea will evolve over this winter season.

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
I would be coming down to stay for a week or so at a time to train people in and check on the operation periodically... there's a lot to it, and I wouldn't want to just leave you to suffer on your own

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
So fucking tempting. This is something I would love to do. I paid close attention to how y'all do it.

Can't quite commit to this just yet. Maybe the following generation.

Thanks again for the chance to experience your space/time/company. Way to hold it down. Looking forward to hearing what comes next for you.

Reactions: Cornelius Vango

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
I just got to Virginia, I've got a gig lined up for $1200/mo. I'm saving up money, then getting a Toyota Chinook or Sunrader, and my partner and I are going to the west coast. We were thinking about posting up in San Diego anyway, so this would definitely be doable next summer if you still need to help then.

T

tacology

I'm headed to the West Coast in a month, Slab City specifically.

I would be able to lend my hand over the winter months.

I can offer to build, clean, keep out the tweakers, and run it. Pretty much whatever has to be done.

I've worked in a library doing security before.

Sent from my iPhone using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

Last edited:

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
I'm free after mid-January. That's about when I can leave. Getting to the slabs isn't an issue nor is the heat, I can handle that. I guess the main issue with me is if you can hold out there to late January/early February. You didn't say when you'd get the farm so I assuming you aren't sure, though if you are let me know so I know if the deadline is before or after mid January.

I've worked in a library on three separate occasions growing up so I know a little about them, but the most recent time was about five years ago so i'll need a refresher, especially if you use Dewey, since the last two times we used LCC, but even that I'll need a refresher on.

TL;DR I might be able to do it depending on when you leave. Also let me know what classification system you use so I can refresh my mind on it.

Edit: I should also point out that although we used it at the school library when I volunteered there I wasn't that great with LCC and had to carry around a cheat-sheet for the first month, so getting back into it after five years might be hard. However looking up Dewey on wikipedia brought me right back, so if you use that it might not actually be a problem.

Last edited:

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Awesome. I'm looking at getting out to search for good land to purchase sometime in the spring/early summer.

Cool. I'll keep an eye on this thread. It's looking like I can head out to the slabs in early February so It'll give me time to settle in. I've wanted to get the hell out of LA and to the slabs for months but school and family shit has kept me down. Even if you're still taking care of the library and don't need help simply being out of LA and in the slabs will be good for my sanity.

D

deleted user

Hey i thought about this more and believe i can do this march/april - august, IF i land at least 1 contract before april. Ideally the stay could be divided up so that i could maybe grab work in august, but acclimating to that heat seems like a full time job, so if i come id just do the 6 months. I assume any profit generated by the library while you and caveman are gone will be going towards me, andy, and etc's survival, with excess going to library maintenance correct? Either way ill probably need a side racket, maybe doing portraits or get a script of addys to sling.

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
yes, while you're there, any donations made to the library goes to those taking care of it. We could even set up a gofundme fundraiser to pay for necessary gear

D

Deleted member 17194

I'm wide open come the new year and eager to do something worthwhile. Basically, I have my legs open for this job. I dont know shit about running a library, organizing books, or keeping track of lent materials. I do like systems and organization... I can learn fast and deal with the heat... and I can sell booze it is in my blood. My pops was a bartender and nightclub manager before he died from crack addiction. Idk if you are looking for someone longterm but I just want something to do.

Sent from my LG-D415 using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads