National Rainbow gathering 2009 | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

National Rainbow gathering 2009

Dameon

Reaction score
National Rainbow gather 2009

Could get pretty crazy. I've been told that nationals, internationals, and the national food not bombs convention are all in New Mexico this year. So New Mexico will be pretty crazy. As for water...even New Mexico has a good amount of water. Look at google maps on satellite, and check out the east side of the state, especially around Taos. Rainbows are pretty good about scouting out locations with lots of water; they've only been doing this more than 30 years.

I went to the nationals last year, and all the hippiecrites running around made me want to puke. Also, I like hippies, I especially like smoking their pot and eating their drugs, but it's just way too many hippies for me.

seke

Reaction score

I actually love hippie fests, cool to get away and enjoy some music. I wouldn't go to a rainbow gathering by myself though.

Bendixontherails

Reaction score

I go for the krishna crack!

and early bird's pancakes.
and the ganja food at warriors of the light.

and the bad ass music. ( sometimes )
Like this past year. the guy doin Tom Waits at menace to sobriety, with a little trio including a trombone and an accordian, and that badass sister Mary Fuego, who did the coolest gypsy/steet urchin/ female Aqualung/ accordian badassishness I ever fuckin saw.

they are fun, and I'm plannin on goin this year, but I fully agree with db3k. all the fuckers that show up on the 3rd & 4th, in their crocs and brand new tie-dye... not my cuppa joe.

if you wanna really meet some cool folks though, show up the week to 10 days before the 4th. get your ass in one of the kitchens (Shut Up & Eat It, Early Bird, Warriors of the Light, Montana Mud, Fat Kids, or whoever looks like your crowd when you show up.) and help out some. You'll probably enjoy it.

and at least bring whatever drugs you intend to do. don't just assume it'll be there, cause that's what eveybody fuckin thinks. and it sucks spending tons of time walkin around lookin for nugs. bring some, and if you can, enough to share some, then you'll have a WAY better time.

Bendixontherails

Reaction score

OH! and bring small tradeables. shiny rocks, knives, candy bars, hemp shit, beads, nug jars, or whatever you like to make. head down to Trade Circle and find somebody else's shit you like better than yours!

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score

OH! and bring small tradeables. shiny rocks, knives, candy bars, hemp shit, beads, nug jars, or whatever you like to make. head down to Trade Circle and find somebody else's shit you like better than yours!

That part might be neat to go to. Stove has a funny story about why you shouldn't have sex with anybody at the rainbow gatherings.

Ghostie

Reaction score

When is it, exactly?

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Gather dates/location info

National Gather is ALWAYS week of July 4th.

I'm aiming to get there for seed camp/set up and stay for take down.

Have a look at
Rainbow Family of Living Light Unofficial Home Page
ww.welcomehere.org
they might be 'com'...

But all the info you need about gathers if you have never been to one.
They do not publish exact location details till just before.
But it will be in New Mexico.

Find a Rainbow, crusty, road dawg and ask.
Also each state in the USA has a 'light line' which gives details
of local/statewide events, potlucks, drum circles, etc.

And yes it started as a Hippie gather but alot of punks, road dawgs, crusties go.
And.... all the above can be lovely or assholes too !

The advice about trading stuff is good !
Bring stuff !:love:

Linda/Ziggy

GutterMax

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

I went to folklife, simply because it was within 150 miles of my hq, and its gotten really yuppie-tastic. I do like the extra huge NO FIREARMS ALLOWED signs, they make sense after last years little incident. Anyway, back on to the subject, I'm going to Rainbow. One of my friends wants to go and has never traveled by unorthodox means, so I'm going to take him on a little adventure. We really should get together a group of us and establish an STP Camp. Right near A Camp, I'd rather get trashed than come within a hundred feet of a drum circle. Maybe we should have a post like the one for the last STP gatherin' where people can RSVP. It'd be nice to have at least a good handful of STP folks. Rainbow is supposed to be "Liberated Territory", so lets make it what we want it to be. Besides, free food is always nice.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score

SO...there's gonna be lots of hippies there?

kai

Reaction score

at the gatherings i've been to in canada I can say if you want something good to trade take chocolate and tobacco.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

i say go for the stp camp thing... we haven't done it in a few years (i think) but baltimore punx used to always go to the national and ocala gatherings and establish "camp butts". it had alcohol like a-camp, but without the retarded scumfucks. also a good place to scream "tolerating you brother!!!" when hippies walk by and say "lovin ya brother".

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

This thread has made me really curious about rainbow gatherings. I've always just had friends make fun of them, and I never really gave them much thought, but I think I might go to this one just to see it for myself. Maybe it will be fun...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i think everyone should go at least once. i had a lot of bad stuff happen, but when you arrive on time, and meet cool ppl and actually check out some of the events, i would imagine it would be alright if you have a decent tolerance for hippie bullcrap.

i might go again some day if i have a bus to drive there.

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Rainbow Gather UPDATE !

Directions NOW up on the internet.

Parque Venando
Santa Fe National Park - Cuba NM.

Nearish Santa Fe.

STP peeps will be meeting up at the gather.

I'll be in the trading circle alot and looking for
a good vegan kitchen to cook in !

Look out for my STP sign in the trading circle ,
or just look out for me the little old (really old) pUnk rock lady with pinky purple hair and
weird demented american /british accent............

And if you wanna hook up on our way there,
me and my old man Mike are hitching from Phoenix to
Santa Fe via Flagstaff & Alberquerque !

Looking for people to hook up with on the way.

Thanks
Linda/Ziggy
drum-core@live.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads