how do i get rid of lice in dreads? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

how do i get rid of lice in dreads?

Medusa

Reaction score
I mixed 32 oz. of apple cider vinegar and 32 oz. of rubbing alcohol, drenched my head with half of that, left it in for 20 min., and rinsed it out. Did this every few days for a few weeks. It seemed to work. Haven't found any bugs in a couple of months. Is it possible to still have them, though?

BelCh

Reaction score
I dunno but Uhh,

I got rid of my head lice with a simple drench In rubbing alcohol ! I went for the 90 %
Bag On Head !
Wrapped Up Tight .... Worked well for me

the eggs may still remaian,
but I think with a couple of treatments , I was sure they were dead !
After the eggs eventailly ( already dead) did come out .

panik

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
after numerous attempts to get rid of them, and lots of money spent on hotel rooms and crap, I eventually had to go home to get rid of lice (I had them for a ridiculously long time!!!). I kind of went crazy though becasue of so many failed attempts and the fact that I was around kids and stuff at my family's house...I alternated the rubbing alcohol/plastic bag method for an hour with the shaving cream/vinegar in a bag for an hour method, every 3 days or so. lots of blowdrying, and washing my hair with flea and tick shampoo and wshing everything I own daily. I'm not totally sure which of these things was the kicker but it got rid of them. I did this shit for like 2 weeks or something to be sure. Oh and I dyed my hair at some point afterward just to douse it in more chemicals haha, It was a serious pain in the ass, but if yer stuck on not cutting your hair off, it works!

Pee ess you can spread lice just hanging around people actually, they fall off you and climb onto others. Riding in the same car, sitting on the same furniture or grass or whatever can spread them!

Reaction score
dont listen to anyone who tells you youll have to cut em off. A friend of mine told me a wundaful secret a month ago, when i got lice either from this man-friend of mine who seems to be in denial about his potential infestation, or i got it from the couch cushions i slept on at the squat. Ive been lice free now for 2 months, i caught the fuckers early cause i generally pick at my head when im bored. hah. tea tree oil works beautifully at scaring them away and keepin em at bay when your on the road. douse your scalp and hair in that shit regularly. but AAAANYWAYZ, Get Hartz flea and tick shampoo from walmart. itll cost ya $5. make sure pyrethrins are one of the main ingredients. thats the lice killer. and it works like a fucking charm! i just smothered my wet dreads in it in the shower, let it soak in for 6-8 gogol bordello songs or maybe 9-10 misfits tracks then rinse it out. veerrrry thoroughly.
My friend also told me some kids in NOLA said lighter fluid kills lice too.. hahah but i wouldnt try that one.

Reactions: enocifer and Psi em

Dmac

Reaction score
i know for a fact that you can kill lice with mayonase. but you have to completely saturate the hair and then wear a shower cap over it for 3 or more hours. was actually taught that way back in nursing school while doing our community health semester. i do not know if it would work on dreads or not.

just cut them off and if you can't take short hair buy a dread lock wig.

K

Kim Chee

First of all. Don't give those little fuckers to anybody. Congratulations on seeking help!

I've taken the time to become proficient with the "search" feature of this forum. Its a cool thing to
get familiarized with before making a new thread (esp. on a subject that is pretty common).
search feature:http://squattheplanet.com/search/?type=post
Type lice in there or (little itchy fucking bugs or something like that)

This is also probably miscategorized and should maybe be in "health"

Sorry to shit on your thread, but there's already shitloads on the subject.
PM me if you can't find it, Ms. Spudnic.
also, might consider treating your rat as well.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
When I was a kid (and beyond) my mom would use vinegar (of course I use it myself now as an adult hahsh) I can't remember for sure but white vinegar is what we used I believe. It's supposed to kill the eggs.

shitbagdanny

Reaction score
rubbing alcohol 1 hour, wrap yer head in a platic bag.
apple cider vinegar rinse, then water.
real apple cider vinegar, not the fake shit.

Vixious

Reaction score
kerosine, massaged into the scalp, i cant remember how long not more than 15 minutes id think, thats what my mom used to use when wed get lice from school, and not alot like an ounce or 2, not soaking yer head in it

K

Kim Chee

kerosine, massaged into the scalp, i cant remember how long not more than 15 minutes id think, thats what my mom used to use when wed get lice from school, and not alot like an ounce or 2, not soaking yer head in it
wow, that sounds really fucking dangerous. It probably works though. If it doesn't, just light your head on fire, that'll get 'em!
burning-head.jpg

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
vinegar actually works as it dries out the eggs and makes the environment of your head less appealing to the living lice. Combing is the only way I have ever been able to get rid of them without chemicals but I guess that isn't possible with dreads. give vinegar a try, its cheap. If not I found this on the net, I've not tried it so cannot tell you if it works, but it's natural so won't do you any harm :
http://littlegreenblog.com/family-and-food/home-made-recipe-head-lice/

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
oh also something I have tried is delacet, but they have stopped selling it. Read on the internet that it is tincture of larkspur in a base of vinegar so maybe you could try getting hold of those things. Hope some of this helps.

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
I found shampoo for it for $2.50 cus it was marked way down. Twas cheaper than rubbing alcohol. But I feel like an asshole waiting around with a plastic bag wrapped around my head while I send silent curses out to the g-ds of pesky critters. The "Giraffes United Against Ceiling Fans" shirt isn't helping either. I will never wash my hair ever again.

I guess I'll add a bit on where I ask, if neither of these methods work, what else can I try?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads