how do i get rid of lice in dreads?

WingNnt

Reaction score
Yep unfortunately I have them. I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with advice on how to get rid of it. I have really thick hair and a ton of little dreads that have just started maturing, a lot of them are already pretty solid. Ive tried tea tree, rubbing alcohol, lice shampoo, flea and tick shampoo and even mayo the other day. The tea tree I probably shouldnt count because I didnt soak my head in it. The mayo killed a lot of them so im thinking of getting the rest with a few rubbing alchol sessions and some more tea tree.
I refuse to shave/cut my hair, if anyone knows any other methods I can try that would be awesome.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
alot of info here: http://www.squattheplanet.com/threads/how-do-i-get-rid-of-lice-in-dreads.3032/#post-29782

my old roaddog ("panik" on here) had em for a long time and she writes a pretty detailed description of how she got rid of them in that thread............i'm goin bald so i would just cut my hair real short and wash it really really good and comb the fuckers out and change my clothes and that would do it....but if you got dreads and aint tryin to cut em, shit can be a pain in the ass!....best of luck

Reactions: pir8 qu33n

smellsea

Reaction score
put rubbing alcohol on your head, wrap it in a plastic bag, leave it for two days. then repeat but with vinegar. it works, i've done it it and i have some pretty thick dreads. also, hair dye worked for me. i guess it doesn't for every one but it did for me.

WingNnt

Reaction score
Leave it for two days? Dang I was told thirty minutes, and it worked. I just have to do it again soon to kill any possible new ones, I could see how hair dye would work

smellsea

Reaction score
dude, honestly i can't remember wich one went first... maybe it was the vinegar. yeah, well i have big thick dreads so two days sounded about right. you think you're a wing nut? you should of seen me walking around reno piss drunk with a bag on my head.

Reactions: WingNnt

keg

Reaction score
just last week i was using rubbing alcohol.it worked before but this time it did not.heres something that works but you can only do if you live near ocean.do snorkeling or scuba diving.This really works.but i figure the water gotta be kinda cold.if the waters warm i do think it will work.in Hawaii it works,so water does not gotta be to cold.

WingNnt

Reaction score
My boy friend put hand sanizer on his head and hes walking around houston with a yogurt thank you come again bag on his head. Its the funniest thing ever. They even let him buy beer. I know what you mean now smellsea. He only has a section of hair in the back of his head with a dread, you think hand santizer will workfor him?

smellsea

Reaction score
hm i dono i never heard of hand sanitizer. it mite work, since you're in houston, it's hot, the heat will help. both of you need to get hair dye and dye your hair. leave it on till it burns.

smellsea

Reaction score
steal it/spange for it? yeah, you should both do it at the same time so you dont keep giving it to eachother. wash your clothes too, and take a shower too, they don't infestyour clothes but that doesnt mean they arnt on there. sounds like you need to make up some $$ for a motel 6.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
Let yourselves get fairly well dehydrated. Then urinate on each others heads at least once a day while keeping it wrapped up. The ammonia and various other proteins will work quite well. That's the key component in the hair dye. You can also add in some pine tree extracts like pine oil (pine-sol) or diluted turpentine which is an very old and traditional treatment for lice. Pine extracts are a potent anti-microbial and anti-septic. Mix it with bees wax and coal tar and it makes a great topical ointment for wounds, scabies, bacterial infections, etc. You can even make a tincture with it for use in dysentary. Similar to tea tree oil which is also a turpine compound. I use it over formaldehyde in my recirculating toilet as it works better.

Reactions: smellsea

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads