how do i get rid of lice in dreads?

soapybum

Reaction score
Probably dont want to but some ppl will cut them, boil them, then sow them back on to get rid of lice....

Also I'm assuming you know this but most shampoo is bad for your dreads, the residue it leaves makes it harder for them to matte/stay matted. Dish soap, or Dr. bronner's castile soap is what I use. lemon juice and salt are helpful when you're starting them also.

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna boil them as far up as I can stand tomorrow and then do a baking soda deep clean in the next few days. I already fucked them up by using wax when I put em in, but it actually seems like the residue from that has gone down a lot, they're drier than they were even a month ago, if that makes sense. I know it will never be "truly" gone though. I dunno, they're only three months old so I think I might be okay since they're still somewhat loose. Or I tell myself they are. The thicker ones look and feel almost fully mature.

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
Frontline dog flea juice shit, it's green and comes in a squeezy packet. I just found this out. I'm gonna try it once I get my paws on some.

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
I was totally down for it until it turns out to cost almost $30 and I believe you can only get it online (I think around here you have to have a prescription, also), so rubbing alcohol it is I guess. The amount of bugs that I found in the plastic bag I had on my head gave me the willies. It's not the size, they're super wee, it's the sheer fucking amount. And I had no idea, I was just balling around thinking "shit, my dandruff is reeeaaaal bad lately..." Fuuuuccckkkk.

DregeDE

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
This thread makes me lol. I aint had lice since I dropped out of the 7th grade - and somehow I'm dumb.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
figured that if anybody knew it would be the people on here. I am about to cut my hair off but really don't want to, its been at least a decade since i had a haircut. I've had them for nearly a month know, haven't done anything thing about them because i've been hanging out with a girl i care a lot about and its a rather embarrassing subject to broach. "By the way i have lice." You try and get a girl to kiss you with bugs. I have been very careful not to spread them though. Or as careful as possible while still having them. If anybody has any advice it would greatly appreciated. Otherwise i'm just gonna chop it. Thanks.

First of all, haha, sorry to say but there is no way to isolate head bugs. In other words, you have probably given them to the girl if you have sat on a couch with her, shared a bed with her, sat in a car with her, etc. that shit crawls off your body, and onto others. So forget the idea of beig careful and not spreading it. It would be shear luck if you didn't give it to her.

Second, chances are you will not be able to get the bugs out of your dreads without cutting them. You can try various vinegar remedies, rit lice killer, etc but it is really hard to kill all the eggs when your hair is knotted up making a really good hiding place/living place for bugs to continue to get back into them after killing them. (you miss killing one nit or lice that's all it takes to re-infest you. So anyway, good luck, and as much as you may like this girl, it's really inconsiderate to potentially an probably spread that shit to others and not mention it. You should probably think twice about that next time-and if you're a dirty dreadlock kid (and I'm not saying that's bad I'm dirty and dreaded myself), she is probably going to assume she got it from you...

Google homeopathic remedies to find some possible live killers online. There are a handful out there. But seriously though. Keep your bugs to yourself!

Edit* Neverfucking mind, yet again someone dredging up old threads. So fucking annoying!!!!!

Reactions: Psi em
P

Pheonix

Edit* Neverfucking mind, yet again someone dredging up old threads. So fucking annoying!!!!!

they didn't dredge up an old thread they started a new thread asking a question that has already been answered in a previous thread, so I merged the threads together. I find it annoying when we have several different threads all about the same thing, how many "kill lice in dreads" threads do we need?
I too think the only way to get rid off lice in dreads is to cut them off, the dreads makes the problem of lice much harder to deal with.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
they didn't dredge up an old thread they started a new thread asking a question that has already been answered in a previous thread, so I merged the threads together. I find it annoying when we have several different threads all about the same thing, how many "kill lice in dreads" threads do we need?
I too think the only way to get rid off lice in dreads is to cut them off, the dreads makes the problem of lice much harder to deal with.

Ohh okay. That makes sense. Well, I guess they did not find the answers in the old thread sufficient haha. Yep. Gonna have to chop that shit off really...

austinoram

Reaction score
I've had chiggers on my legs and i tried a bunch of stuff, including trying to suffocate them with petroleum jelly and wrapping in plastic. So i'm sure you've read this a few times already but i suggest strongest store-bought rubbing alcohol (92%?). It killed the chiggers in a short time and i know it will kill the lice in a short time. However, being that the lice are on your head and the alcohol will want to fall to the ground you will need to soak your head lying down so you don't suffocate yourself.. and yes, it will burn but you will be lice-free. And if you cover your head and hair in a beanie or dollar-store-bought shower cap and soak it/keep the alcohol fumes trapped for awhile, if you can bear it, then you may not have to repeat the one-step again.

rubbing alcohol.

Hylyx

Reaction score
This might sound silly, but I got lice a few months ago, and also really did not want to chop my dreads. But I dye my hair when I can, and decided to try something I had around: Hair Bleach!!! I mixed up a batch (1.99 for a packet of bleach powder, and 3 bucks for the developer, so way cheaper than the Rid and shit). Put it on my head, with a shower cap as usual. Let it sit for 30 mins, and BAM. All of those little fuckers are dead. It even kills the nits, too, which nothing else seems to.

As long as you don't mind being blond, it works! =D

• Haha
Reactions: Psi em

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
I chopped em. I'm living between two places right now and everybody from both said I was getting the boot if I didn't rid myself of them within 24 hours. I'm not quite down to sleep at ONH considering the fact that that place is crawling with homebums and lice.. My pube hair is longer than most of the hair on my head right nowgoddamit.

smellsea

Reaction score
no. i have dreadlocks, and i had lice. this is what you do. vinegar, with a bag on your head for 2 days, then rubbing alcohol with a plastic bag on your head for one day. you'll see all the lice. thats how i killed them the first time. the second time i kill them with hair dye. and then old man got out of jail so he still had the shit and i got them back right away, they froze to death in colorado last december! that way sucks. don't do that.

Lily

Reaction score
A mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. Soak your dreds and wrap your head in a plastic bag. I had to xo this two weeks ago and it worked. My dreds are pretty short so i kept it in for two hours. Depending on how long your dreds are you might wanna try longer.

SquatinSteve

Reaction score
i dont got dreds but had lice for a minute. i shook some raid off my boy and did it up. they lie it dont hurt you. shit i know doods dat smoke it

crow

Reaction score
awh man, CHIGGERS. A hunter once told me to go get clear nail polish and put it on each spot. It worked great. They were gone in a day. :]

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads