how did you come across STP?

D

dirty_feet

I've always wondered how people came to be on the website in the first place. Websearch, friends, one of the many random tags Matt writes everywhere he goes....

So how did you find STP? I remember the older site, it was about three or four years ago when I was living in VA and I had a friend of mine that traveled and always used to come visit/stay. I, of course, wanted to leave with him and so among a huge list of other things to look into, this website was one of them. So - that was the beginning of my love affair with STP.

bote

Reaction score
i saw a post by mattpist on digihitch.com a fe years ago, checked it out but never signed up. I did so recently because it seemed there was a shortage of know-it-alls over here. Just trying to maintain balance, you know?

soymilkshakes

Reaction score
I always wonder that too, how people end up on this website and especially traveling/squatting/dumpstering/etc in general. Me, I'd just moved to NYC after graduating high school and I was a Google fiend, trying to find anything and everything interesting in the City.. I'd heard somehow of C-Squat so I googled that and there ya go - brought me to this website, the old version where there were just a bunch o' traveling stories (where did those go, anyway? I'd like to read through them again).

Reactions: Dmac

Labea

Reaction score
i traveled with a guy who referenced it, and upon being sent to alaska, i felt like maybe i could learn something, anything, from it, and feel still somewhat connected to the old days. if you've ever read the 1 1/2 year old thread about smoking in units, i was the naive and overly concerned girl bickering at him to make sure there wern't smoke detectors... haha...

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
"dmac66" turned me on to "StP".
We met on digihitch and he told me about StP and here meesah am now!(I only wish I'd have heard about StP earlier)...

Uncle Stinky

Old Dog--Can't See, Can't Hear, And Right In The D
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Fran's Hobo Page-- I got to see some pics on c. escape's flickr page, then I searched myspace and found Matt's STP page! Then I went back a few days later and saw some NEW links on Fran's Hobo Page to _some_ OTHER_guy's_ pictures and stories-- and then, right after I was looking at those, that son of a gun shows up here!!! :drinking:

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Son of a gun?! LOL!
What's happening "Uncle Stinky"?
Fran's Hobo Page-- I got to see some pics on c. escape's flickr page, then I searched myspace and found Matt's STP page! Then I went back a few days later and saw some NEW links on Fran's Hobo Page to _some_ OTHER_guy's_ pictures and stories-- and then, right after I was looking at those, that son of a gun shows up here!!! :drinking:

Uncle Stinky

Old Dog--Can't See, Can't Hear, And Right In The D
StP Supporter
Reaction score
LOL!!!

:chug: (I'm gonna have just one more...)

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Several years ago, as the seeds of discontent were beginning to sprout, as childhood dreams flooded my mind, and I began the arduous journey of returning to myself, I typed train hopping into a myspace search box, and discovered the Squat the Planet group. I read all the stories and information, but it was all just trapped in my head, it was just a pinpoint of light far off in the distance. After it got deleted, through the years, I've googled STP every now and then, browsed the various incarnations, but never got involved. Lately, it's helped me get through the tedium of daily life, until now, as the day of my liberation has finally arrived. Hopefully now I can help and inspire others, as many of you here have done for me.

Dmac

Reaction score
i was sick of digihitch :agreed:and had just spent a few hours running searches for other sites about trainhopping, found a link on one of the "hobo" sites and followed it here. told a couple of folks about it, and now they are here too!

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yep! Thanks again "dmac66"!
Yep, with digihitch, I kept having to reread "EVERYTHING" to make sure I did not write anything that could be concidered illegal "train information".....Gee Whitiker!!!
What a place StP is too! The very first thing I do every morning after the coffee is brewed is turn on my PC and see who's posted new material and to see who's PM'ed me wanting to talk...(This StP website is "Outah Sight")!
i was sick of digihitch :agreed:and had just spent a few hours running searches for other sites about trainhopping, found a link on one of the "hobo" sites and followed it here. told a couple of folks about it, and now they are here too!

Dmac

Reaction score
yea, here a lot more people can benifit from your encyclopedic knowledge of rail lines, cetchout spots and general hobo lore. inbetween you, widerstand, ibrrhobo and a few others, all the lines seem pretty well covered!

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
found the link on digihitch.com. found digihitch probably from googling "hitchhiking"

stove

Reaction score
Got turned on to StP from an Aussie friend while hanging out in Amsterdam talking about riding rails in Europe (her experience, I've got none).

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
veggieguy stayed at my house in eugene for a bit last year, turned me on to it.

D

dirty_feet

AHAHah - WOW!!! So it looks like web searches have mainly been the culprit, second to word of mouth. That's pretty awesome! We have a really special community and knowledge base here - the site is awesome - as we all know. Wider - you have quite the presence on this site - you would be the one that can't remember how you found out about it. Man...would it...could it be...myspace? Mwwwha ha ha haHAAA!!!!! No no - it's ok. We all know you're a holographic spawn Matt churned out to spread STP's message. The secret's out now.

Ok ok - I'm off thread. Now - back to how it all began for everyone!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads