color india ink... | Squat the Planet

color india ink...

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i was browsing the craft store the other day and spotted a few different colors of india ink and was wondering if anyone has used anything besides black ink for stick-n-poke and how well the colors worked on skin, if they took, faded quickly, or lasted a decent amount of time before touch ups were needed.

also, what are some of your techniques for stick-n-poke? i have a small tattoo behind my ear that was outlined with a tattoo machine but filled in stick-n-poke style and we simply used a sewing needle and thread. im interested in other ways to perform such art that i would be able to try out.

drunken marauder

Reaction score
So I didnt know that they had colored india ink.. But I have used and seen non toxic airbrush paint that works quit well umm badger is a good brand there are a few others but I dont see why it wouldnt work..

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i just dont want to spend money and time on doing one with color ink if it doesn't work well, ya know?

airbrush paint though? hmm might have to look into that

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i saw some red,evergreen green,midnight blue and violet purple in the craft store. i assume the blue would work the best out of them because its pretty dark, im more of a fan of colored tattoos than black and grey

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
india ink is great. all my tatts are done with it. they havent faded or bled out or anything. not sure about the colors, i guess they would work too, especially on your skin because it's so light.

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
im leaning more on trying it now, i never thought about the fact that im white as a ghost.

damn i should of made my name on here something to do with a ghost.

farmer john

Reaction score
they will work but i would steer clear away from red colors have 3 friends who all had problems with red but all the other colors were fine

Rash L

Reaction score
red, even regular professional tattoo ink, causes skin reactions in a good percentage of people. My friend calls it "red rash" and you'll never know if you have it until you try to get a tattoo with red in it.

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
they will work but i would steer clear away from red colors have 3 friends who all had problems with red but all the other colors were fine
ah! thanks!

red, even regular professional tattoo ink, causes skin reactions in a good percentage of people. My friend calls it "red rash" and you'll never know if you have it until you try to get a tattoo with red in it.
i have some red in my professionally done tattoos, but it faded quick and needs to be touched up, never had any problems though, i guess im in the good percentage that doesn't seem to have problems with red tattoo ink :] thank goodness for that, or else my sugar skull would look like a blob

sprout

Reaction score
Yes on the color ink.

A new stick and poke method that is worth trying is using multiple sewing needles (I like using three or four) stuck in close proximity in a cork. It is a little more efficient. Or, if you can get your hands on a real tattooing needle, those work well for stick and poke, too.

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Welp when I was about 16 I found this awesome stuff called higgins India ink. They got just about all the colors you need. Be sure to get the fade proof not the water proof kind. I'm 26 now and all the tats I did with color back then are just as bright as the day I did them. I stand by this shit.

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
hmm.... i guess im off to the craft store to pick up some colors, get a bum jug, use the cork trick and get pokin' !

thanks guys!, if it turns out well i'll put it up :]

wartomods

Reaction score
my first and only stick and poke was done by me with green indian ink. there nothing left of it

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Do check the composition of the ink.Some craft inks are analaine dye base,and are quite toxic.

smellyskelly

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
i just got in from shopping, i ended up with just plain black like i didnt want haha. i didnt take notice to the price of the color ink and they had individual bottles for 6 dollars, but then a 6 pack of multiple colors for only 30 dollars with tax so i just grabbed a bottle of plain black for 3 bucks since i only had 15 on me and i also had to stop and get crickets for my reptiles. luckily i get my paycheck tomorrow and my receipt has a 40%off coupon that expires tomorrow!!

the black ink has an AP with a circle around it which i just googled and it's non-toxic :]

p.s. "OldManLee" you're dog is ADORABLE! i had one that looked similar at the sheltor down the street i used to volunteer at. i wish they were still in need of extra help so that i can play with all the animals, but im glad they don't need help because sheltors are depressing as it is a sheltor that regulary puts down animals that are "unwanted" and dont get placed in homes. they actually have a "shelf life" type of a date on their animals like as if they were items in a grocery store. its sick.

farmer john

Reaction score
Yes on the color ink.

A new stick and poke method that is worth trying is using multiple sewing needles (I like using three or four) stuck in close proximity in a cork. It is a little more efficient. Or, if you can get your hands on a real tattooing needle, those work well for stick and poke, too.

huh never heard of that
do you wrap them up to the tips in thread

ApiCutter

Reaction score
Kind of a bump from the grave

I recently tried this method out, it works great I just get a few needles and wrap them tight together on the end of a pencil. People I know use cotton thread so it saps up ink, but with three on their they suck it up no problem. If you want you could let them bunch up into a triangle. the lines are so much darker.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3718/008cy.jpg

The bottom one was done with multiple needles.

farmer john

Reaction score
i was waiting for someone to try that lol
so you rigged up the needles side by side like 111 ?
heads to closet in search of needles...gunna darken up my cross

ApiCutter

Reaction score
Yep like a little trident.

One tip though, make sure the needles aren't sticking way out. Other wise they will bunch up, you want to keep them close to what ever you are securing them too.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads