Best City in America

X

XVIII

ArrowInOre said:
Tried Boise once, vowed off Idaho unless I was in a fast and direct moving vehicle. "Nuff said..In fact anyone I have ever met that was from the state, said pretty much the same thing. (I knew a chick named Carry up there, years ago, drove a canary yellow late 70's caddy...)

yeah its pretty bad. i've heard alot of people talk about how we have one of the highest cop to citizen ratios in the country but its possible that is totally fabricated. also all the guys i've met that live downtown are really territorial (?) and will try to get you out of "their parks" if you try to sleep there.

RebeccaSoup

Reaction score
Me personally, I'm not a fan of the bigger cities in the northwest. (At least for street living, I hate being chased off the sidewalks several times a day) I hated squatting in Seattle. The collectives in Portland are almost worth the hassles spanging... But almost not. Living in the couv(vancouver, WA) worked out for a hot minute though. Plenty of houses to squat and a bike ride away from the max.

But I'd go for Eugene, Bend or Olympia.

Reactions: madcapcat

rumple

Reaction score
Let me say a few things about Vancouver, WA!
There is not shortage of train riders thanks to the BNSF and close proximity of the UP in Portland, and the "new train" that is CAP transit (ride it and see). It is home to Super Taco Express, the best taqueria in the NW (100 health score rating for you "germ" nerds). It is the oldest incorporated city in the NW. Vancouver WA is also the landing site of the 1937 Trans-Polar airplane flight! The mayor DESTROYED coffee mugs that Starbucks sold because they had pictures of portland on them. Where else can you watch an 18th century Blacksmith hammer iron into bar then 5 minutes later catch a train EB or SB? IN summation: That town rules!! BEST city in AMERICA!!

Reactions: madcapcat

sharks77

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
it's about time someone brought up how little that imaginary line means!! montreal is definately the sin capital of camerica.

dont you mean its "aboot" time?

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
Das Burgh
l_3699a0653142d1c80700d752ea56dafa.jpg

arkface

Reaction score
why not check out buffalo? there are a few squats around there and plenty of rust belt mansions rotting away. you should visit. fun people.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
for someones first time i would say new orleans hands down. if you get stuck you won't freeze. tons of food lots of money and a lot of movement if you don't want to travel on your own. also squats as far as the eye can see.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Well, in New Orleans, most of the time you won't freeze, I've been there in a night two years ago when it actually almost went down to freezing. You probably will want to set up a squat as soon as you can though, walking around with a huge backpack is going to be trouble.

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

Two cities I have noticed that seem ridiculously easy to squat are Syracuse NY and Houston TX. Houston I had some experience with, but in Syracuse I just stayed under bridges, because the weather was just so damned nice.

genghis braun

Reaction score
Gainesville, FL. pretty chill city, kinda fast-paced, but not too much, not too much of a police prescence and a few squats hanging around. there's a university campus that you can take advantage of, and TONS of free/really cheap shit to do there.

yeah, I have pride in my hometown...

rabidpossum

Reaction score
winona, muthafuckin minnesota. brattleboro vermont is sweet as well. both those places are great for easy as fuck camping and meeting crazy locals to cause a ruckus with. and they both have pretty sweet productive communities doing cool shit as well.

ladybug

Reaction score
Seattle was my easiest place to squat/find a squat. So many up in University District. And coppers are lenient. In Portland I didn't find any, but i know there were some, it's just people dont like newbies moving in.

pandapanda

Reaction score
it's about time someone brought up how little that imaginary line means!! montreal is definately the sin capital of camerica.

I live in montreal and i've gotta agree....
most residents take a bizarre pride in that reputation. you can live here for pretty cheap too

sprout

Reaction score
I am pretty suprised there has only been talk about coastal cities, if I had my choice I would stay off the coasts as much as possible.
Tempe, AZ
Denver, CO
Lawrence, KS
Minneapolis, MN
Bloomington, IN

As far as the coast goes:
Pittsburgh and Philly, PA
Providence, RI
Asheville/Swannanoa, NC
Richmond, VA

These are just a few cities I found it extremely easy to get housed up in or find a good squat. Met great people, didn't have any trouble, found food, always had something to do, and promised I would return.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads