Area in America to rough it

FreeBHamster

Reaction score
Once the summer hits all sorts of spots in the North Cascades, WA. Or if you want to head out a little earlier the Olympic mountains out on the olympic peninsula of Washington are pretty amazing.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
If you have a good map, compass, and know how to use them, there are tons of great places you wouldn't even expect. I once went backpacking in Yosemite during the height of the summer tourist season and didn't see or hear another soul the whole time I was off trail in the back country.

db3kfan

Reaction score
sweet, thanks guys. ive been reading up on compass/map usage. im close to yosemite, but i would like to get some hunting in. maybe come in and out of the park boundries,

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Yosemite is a huge park. There are plenty of areas in the Sierras and the foothills you could find to camp and at least not hunt in a National Park. I'm not sure about when the hunting seasons are and all that.

Where are you at?

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Yosemite is a huge park. There are plenty of areas in the Sierras and the foothills you could find to camp and at least not hunt in a National Park. I'm not sure about when the hunting seasons are and all that.

Where are you at?

Well yosemite is government property, I dont think that you can hunt on their property, hell you cant even have a weapon of any kind on their property.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Even camping in the park is not legal without a backcountry permit, not that it's that hard to avoid park rangers in the more remote parts of the park but do watch out for them.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Nah, I was telling him to find a place other than Yosemite. But there are great places in the Sierras and foothills, I'm only familiar with the area around North Fork, up Mammoth Pools road.

stove

Reaction score
I'll be in the sierras/yosemite as part of my thru-hike. In your OP you spec'd an area AWAY from trails...

How proficient as backcountry nagivation are you? How far into the backcountry are you interested in going, before leaving any connection to society behind? A simply weekend getaway, or full on Into The Wild type adventure?

Depending on your preferences, there exists plenty of backcountry of every type around the country...Do you have any particular preferences for climate, temperature, ecosystem etc?

db3kfan

Reaction score
well, im in carson city right now. just got here yesterday. i plan to stay in the west for awhile. i wanna stay out there for at least three weeks. the sierras are probably where i'm gonna go. any good sierra recomendations?

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Flying to Alaska has always been fairly cheap from "SeaTac" airport!
The least I have ever paid was $88.00 O/W and the most expensive ever was still only $211.00!

Between Fairbanks and Anchorage on the Parks Hiway near the Healey, Alaska area has tons of places that you can back-country hike out into oblivion! lol!

Seward, Alaska township too is really nice...............(Go camp out on "Exit Glacier" only 8 miles outside Seward)!!!

db3kfan

Reaction score
yeah, but i don't think i could fly with a rifle or a bow. which reminds me, if i have very little experience with archery, though some, should i stick with a rifle?

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
How much rifle experience do you have? Bows do have the advantage of being lighter, quieter, and more forgiving of mistakes (except for that elbow, haha), but arrows are bulky and expensive compared to cartridges, even though in a pinch making arrows is much easier than making bullets and propellant. Rifles are more accurate for longer distances, less sensitive to wind and elevation drops, and are easier to learn. It depends more on your hunting style.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
You can fly with a rifle or bow.
(Of course you have to check them "underneith" the plane)! ha ha!
I have seen literally hundreds of people check guns and bows, knives on planes, they just have to be placed under.

yeah, but i don't think i could fly with a rifle or a bow. which reminds me, if i have very little experience with archery, though some, should i stick with a rifle?

flashinglights

Reaction score
If you're flying and want to avoid the extra hassle, you could also ship your rifle to a federal firearms licensed person, usually a gun dealer or pawn shop, near your destination. probably have to pay a small fee for the service (10-20 bucks or so). any FFL should be able to do this for you. try arfcom if you need to locate one that's extra friendly.

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Would suggest that you pack a small single shot shotgun(20 ga. would do nicely),as you will probably get more shots at small game than large.Also,its a bit wasteful to shoot big game when you lack the means or time to process out the total carcass.As to the rifle,just remember Capstick,and would also look at Col. Wheland's writings on the subject.

F

FilXeno

well, im in carson city right now. just got here yesterday. i plan to stay in the west for awhile. i wanna stay out there for at least three weeks. the sierras are probably where i'm gonna go. any good sierra recomendations?

There are some awesome places near Carson. Take 395 south to gardnerville (home town, hah) and take 88 south to Hope Valley. You can pretty much get dropped off ANYWHERE in Hope Valley and walk south into beautiful Nat'l forest land (Toyobe, i believe). The Pacific crest trail runs through there, so if you take it for a bit, you can split off to a ton of great spots.

dysaster

Reaction score
When I was a kid (8 or 9) my dad took my brother and I camping in Northern AZ. It was called Lee's Ferry, I remeber it being very beautiful, of course there are endless amazing areas in Arizona. Also a place called Beaver Creek is fun. I have'nt been there since I was little though so I don't know what it looks like now, and I couldnt tell you how to get there.
Take care
-Jeff

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads