"Yuppie Packs" | Page 5 | Squat the Planet

"Yuppie Packs"

GutterGrayse

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I carry a Cabela's pack currently, which some yuppie bought me for $180. It's less comfortable than a pickle bag, and it's been slowly falling apart since the day I got it. And I haven't even had it 9months. I'd go with military equipment any day over yuppie packs.

And I've never seen what kind of pack someone had get in the way of a good ride.

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
And I've never seen what kind of pack someone had get in the way of a good ride.

When I used to have a big external frame pack, it would routinely get caught on grainer holes. It didn't stop me from going where I wanted, but in a panic situation, it's possible I would have chose to leave it instead of sticking around to get it un-stuck.

Reaction score
ive got an osprey 70L aether, weighs 3 lbs i think, holds 60 comfortably. seattle to gainesville november is a good enough reason to me for the size. its sunny for mins, then snowing, then raining in las cruces. options are good

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I should add that a lot of the smaller packs are only designed to hold about 30lbs regularly, so you'll probably want to reinforce the strap stitching. It was with an REI bag, but that is the price for being inconspicuous.

Argus

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I like the Osprey Aether 70.
Comfortable, light, and spacious.

Old military gear sucks.
It's heavy, and clunky, and just stupid.

I would consider your pack almost as important as your shoes - both have direct contact with your body and can make you completely miserable.
I have a feeling a lot of people wear military style stuff for the image.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My first pack was an ALICE. I loved it because I was like the 4th traveler to have it and it was an honor to have it. But it damaged my back, Wasnt waterproof, didnt carry all i needed(it carried like my sleeping bag and mybed roll and little things in the pockets) and cut my arm everytime i put it on.I thought it was the shit until I tried on an internal frame worth $200. I fell in love. My yuppy pack is comfortable, sensable, and carries eveything I could ever need on the road. And, if i want to travel lightweight, it adjusts around the ribs. It has the ability to carry 10-60 lbs. Plus the pack it's self only weights about 8 lbs. Amazing. My pack kicks ass. Oh, and it's not floressent, it's navy blue and black. I got it at big-5 i think.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yeah...by the time my pack got good and dirty like i like I got realy drunk(wiskey & wine) and pulled down my pants, sat on my pack, and pissed on it lol....not the most beautiful thing ever, but anyways, i had to wash it...I can stand about any smell but urine, especially when you use your pack as a pillow...

Smallredbox

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I dumpstered a NEW pack when I was working at disney last year. It was perfectly new and in great condition. Whoever threw it away must have had some mental problem or something.

Smallredbox

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Unfortunately, yes. I actually intercepted it as the guy was throwing it away. I gave him the line "Oh sir, we have a recycling program for that" (The smallredbox-new-gear fund)

Reactions: Psi em

wartomods

Reaction score
yeah i feal funny with nice shiny new stuff.in japan every winter i would steal a good $300 or more sleeping bag and then sleep in the streets.i was wondering what people thought.every summer i would give it away to some homeless.then next winter...but i feel same about clothes.i hate new things.but shit gets dirty quick.

there is this thing called soap you put your clothes in water and scrub it

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Unfortunately, yes. I actually intercepted it as the guy was throwing it away. I gave him the line "Oh sir, we have a recycling program for that" (The smallredbox-new-gear fund)

I'll have to try that one.

Mostly I just use a cheapo hunting type bag I got in wal mart a few years back for $20. It's comfortable (for me at least) and it's held up ok. Holds all my stuff, has everything I need and nothing I don't.

I do want to at least try out a high end pack one day.

Reaction score
I got a big ass yuppie pack. Far bigger than I need. It was liberated from REI because it was the only one they had on hand that would fit all that I put inside it before walking out. Its not to bad though. The main problem is that its designed to fit a womans frame. Would still much rather use it than an alice pack though. Id take a school back pack (and have) before an alice pack. I feel whoever designed Alice packs made them intentionally uncomfortable.

And straps rule. I can get this big motherfucker strapped so tight that I can get it carry on at an airport even when its completely full.

Yuppie gear in general is great. In my days of moneyless REI trips Id get softshells, titanium cook wear, hammocks, Thermarests, etc. Most is now gone though. 3 years of no travel and giving shit away to friends in need. Kicking myself in the ass for it now. My Marmot alone took care of three layers and was the size of a hoodie.

M

Monkeywrench

In Kentucky I had two different people pick me up and comment on my pack. I feel if I didn't have my 80$ "Yuppie Pack" I may not have got the ride.

I've had the same exact thing happen to me. I have a huge North Face 75 that'll prop up on a side rail or curb and hope it helps me flag down drivers. I guess people feel more comfortable picking up a "backpacker" rather than a "dirty traveler". Oh well.

As for "Yuppie Packs". I'd say it's all about how long you're gonna have that fucker on your back and how comfortable you want it to be after hours. I've used Kelty and North Face and loved both just as much. It's an issue of size, 55 for flashpackers, 65 will do just about anyone good, 75 if you're gonna be in the bush for a looong time.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I also have this MEC pack, which pretty much everyone and their mom has:
MEC Walkabout Travel Pack - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

It was the cheapest one, and I got the smaller 64L version. It has a lot of handy features, but since the large compartment is not "stuff"-able, it's fairly big for what it can hold. This is why I did not use it last summer. I think I'm gonna try it again on my next excursion, because I know I can underpack in comparison to my first travel experience (a pack's gravity never stops teaching you about the things you could do without.)

farmer john

Reaction score
ive got an old us postal servive mail bag that i spraypainted black rather then cleaning it
it works fairly well plenty of room stylish and esy to move with the only downside is that after walking a few miles the strap cuts in strip of cardboard as a pad remedys this

elbowjames

Reaction score
you can easily find discounted packs from campmor website under the return sections

lots of great finds if you look through the returned items

i bought a really nice solo tent for 30 dollars that was originally a 150 it was boxed up and appeared to have never been opened shipped pretty quick too

Reactions: Psi em

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got somethign like this
203BNI.jpg

I cant find the exact model pixure but thats it just add a bunch of straps and snaps and a waist strap
I'd love to have another alice pack though, goddamn things trump every pack i have ever had hands fucking down!!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads