"Yuppie Packs"

TravlinGreaser

Reaction score
I got a decent 65l coleman...i can strap my case to it and it don't weigh me down..i bought a can of water proofing for it..i used something similar to ta-50 cord to tied other things down...comfortable and good

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading from my Med Alice to the CFP-90 pack.And I was curious if anyone has any input on that pack.My Alice is pretty much the bently of Alice's lol.Have the hellcat mod done to it 8 months ago and its stiBll going strong.Awesome set up for the money.Im also considering the 2nd Gen molle packs as well.My main concern carrying the old mss as its a bulky system.But I have grown to love it lol.I'm considering getting the newer generation stuff sack that comes on the new system.Any input on these systems would be awesome.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358566419.894621.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358566447.928535.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358566464.423680.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358566489.990126.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: Psi em

travelin

Reaction score
the cfp 90 is a huge pack with the removable patrol pack attached. the bottom compartment will hold the ecws patrol bag and the ecws bivy but it wont hold the thicker intermediate(older is black dont know new color) in that bottom pocket.

it has a hell of a good set of straps and the waistpad is very good. the straps adjust up and down but have to have a screwdriver to do that.

ive carried one short distances loaded about medium weight and it fit like a glove to my back.

most places want too much for them. last winter i was selling them as fast as i could get em out of the storage box for 75 bucks but they are all gone now but one i kept for personal use.

if you can get one cheap, go for it but there are civilian packs just as good.

suggest lookin around for the marine issue arc teryx(spelling?) that has been hitting surplus market for fairly cheap.

you can put a medium alice on a newer molle frame just by using a little strap to the frame from where the shoulderstraps usually go. large alice would have to have the frame modified like the above posters pictures show.

here in the following link is a couple of pics of a medium alice on newest gen molle frame with stuff sack on the bottom of pack which holds the military bivy and green patrol bag. this setup would have to have the black intermediate bag attached seperately. also note that the addition of the shovel in the pic precludes the use of that middle pocket. i doubt anybody carrys a shovel like that when traveling like you kids do but its great for short overnight hiking.

http://squattheplanet.com/useralbums/travelins-pics.122/view

travelin

Reaction score
apologies for just posting a link to the album. i have never known how to insert a pic in a post on this forum. all i can ever get is red x.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Thing that pisses me off about the old Alice stuff.Is that its not water resistant at all.I'd actually love to just put a molle bag on an Alice frame with molle straps and waist belt.Only thing im missing is a molle pack..Maybe that's what'll end up doing then get the carrier system add on.I've just never seen anyone tempt to do the Alice frame with a molle bag.Hell if someone made a Alice bag from new materials like goretex then that would be the shit.I know both Gen molle frames have a habit of breaking.Hence why I like the old Alice crap.Tough as nails and cheap to upgrade.Just need to find a new bag that is water proof.

The only thing I don't like about the cpf is that it has a plastic frame.Which breaks like all the rest.I'd just thet hate to have that happen is all.

I'm basically in the $150 range for a new pack.But ill prolly end up going back to a old Alice lol.

travelin

Reaction score
ok, there may be a misunderstanding here.

the cfp 90 is an internal frame pack closely resembling the serious civilian packs. the frame pieces are aluminum strips in the back of the pack.

travelin

Reaction score
when new, the alice stuff was pretty water resistant and one thing civilians are not usually aware of was there were rubberized bags for stuff to go into, then put the water proof bags in the pack and stuff stays dry. you dont see those issue bags much anymore.

wildwerden

Reaction score
I know both Gen molle frames have a habit of breaking.Hence why I like the old Alice crap.
I did some research on the molle frames and generation 4 seems really tough. The three before are absolute crap. A man at 200+ froze the frame then jumped on it in attempts to break it. It didn't. I've got it now and will see how it holds up.

travelin

Reaction score
yesterday at LAX i saw a young soldier with molle pack and he had a whole other pack attached to the back of it. the whole ensemble was amazingly HUGE!

the newest gen molle frame seems to be quite different from the older ones.

Bizarre Odor

Reaction score
I got messed with one time many years ago on account of my fancy-looking pack. I like having an old beater that doesnt attract attention, but Ive gone back and forth and currently have a pretty nice one. Its my house and it has to carry all my shit all over the world and maybe other peoples too.
I recommend cutting off/getting rid of unnecessary straps and junk, mec/rei packs almost always have tension straps and stuff you dont need.

has anyone ever actually used or seen someone with a bindle stick? that would be awesome and probably kind of laughable all at once.

Ha..I remember I was catching out from Dunsmuir and this dude came crashing out of the brush with a bindle and a longsleeve shirt and not much else during the middle of Winter. He smoked us up and disappeared..only time ever actually seeing a bindle in use.

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
There's no use in aiming for an under par pack. Or a beater. Or something previously beaten up.

If someone gives you shit for having nice gear tell them to lick your asshole. You may have had your pack stolen and some one couldve bought or kicked down from new(er) pack. Maybe it's your first time traveling..... Tell them... Maybe youre like me and use awesome lightweight backcountry/backpacking packs. They only look good for so long..
Get a nice new comfortable pack and get out and put some miles on it.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Meh my piece of crap med alice/molle hybrid has been taking a beating for 8 months with no real issues.Only thing i had happen was the quick release clip broke off that goes into the strap and ill have to order a new set (which i should have spares on hand anyway).But i beat the crap out of that damn thing and it just keeps working.

Only flaws i see are that you get pretty damn wet with sweat after walking around alot and it has no where to go really.So i was thinking of maybe putting some sort of whicking material on the center of the frame where it cross's over just to see if that might make a difference.

Overall im pretty impressed for such a old set up and its pretty damn comfortable plus im pretty hard on my pack and its been taking whatever i have dished out on it.

I sure as fuck wouldnt tolerate a stock alice pack for the life of me.Thank god for the molle straps and hip belt.I would be sorta curious if the 2nd gen molle stuff is anymore comfortable at all.And if the molle frames help with comfort.

Overall its a comfortable set up and can carry more weight then i care to bare lol.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've got a camel-back. A swissgear backpack... a military duffel bag and a gortex sleeping bag.

I figure I could rig those together somehow if I'm hoofing it somewhere for whatever reason. Might drop the swissgear and use the duffel. The straps can be rigged... but don't know about comfort with long term travel. Any one ever use one traveling??
The biggest problem is the sleeping bag...even when rolled up and strapped down is kinda a big roll.

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I traveled for two months with a small duffle-bag and a backpack, while my friend rocked a large sport-sized duffle bag. In my experience, it's relatively handy to stuff your gear in and doesn't have all sorts of straps to worry about adjusting and clipping and getting caught on a grainer ladder or whatever, but it's super annoying to have all that weight on a single strap on one shoulder. Even with a small duffle, I found myself switching shoulders ever few minutes if lugging it around. Backpacks are designed to evenly distribute weight in parts of the upper body which can handle it.

But if you want to do it, you should go for it and see how it works out. Maybe wear it around for a day or so before heading out.

When I came back to my hometown and met some other travelers passing through, they thought it was silly that my setup was not a backpack.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads