You know what I think is cool?

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
Haha yeah that happens a lot..even while you're on the road..it's like you know crotch-rot??" and "oh yeah I got drunk with her under some bridge one night..asshole gave me scabies!!" lol... or something a long those lines.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Yeah, "it's a small world" is the cliché.
Makes me wonder if the recent estimates I heard of "thousands" of trainriders is accurate, makes me suspect the number is just 400-600.
I should say that I never meet anyone out on the road or the rails. I once recognized a girl from her photo on here when I was in Arcata, CA - but that's it.

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
I call it the Name Game and joke around about it a lot playing off the obvious.
"Oh, you know BottleHead? Carries and alice-pack, has a guitar and a dog. You know, face tats and shit!" and other stereotypes.

The truth is, it's more of a small circuit than a small world, and it's not uncommon to run into friends or friends of friends. And playing the Name Game is a great way to make new friends. Almost as if having a mutual friend is a voucher for both parties. I don't mind it. I've made a lot of new friends dropping names.

"Oh shit, you know Dirty Rig? Kid smoked all my pot, man!"

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a try next time I meet someone:
"Do you know DirtyRig? He wears a cap, has a green Army-style pack, wears shorts and does thumbs-ups a lot. Yeah, that's my buddy!"
And then that group will want to jump me for some shit you pulled, ha!

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
in Canada the traveling community is even smaller. you cant avoid some people sometimes its crazy. all you need to do is ask someone where theyre from or where they spent last winter and then you ask key people that everyone knows from that city and BAM insta-friends!
and thats how i know hundreds of kids all across this rock.

M

Monkeywrench

When I first began traveling I would get sad about parting ways with some folks, afraid I'd never ever see them again. No way. No chance. Not in a milllllion years will I ever run into Suitcase, Tokey or Vomit Syringeface and his dog named Fuck. Months later, sometimes weeks even, I would begin seeing the same people. Smaller world than ya think. Stick around long enough and you'll feel the same way.

Johnny Lightspeed

Reaction score
I know almost everytime I get on here I see kids I've met out yonder before.

I remember being in Eugene, OR (shithole) and giving this older homebum lady a couple peanut butter sandwiches. 2 months later I ran into her in portland at a MAX stop and she gave me 5 dollars. it was cool

sprout

Reaction score
Dirty bandana, Carhartt bibs, dread mullet?

Those kids that like old timey music and used to busk the song "Wagon Wheel" in earnest but now will only do it for ironic purposes since everyone else started playing it?

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

Someone told me recently the 100 anarchist theory. Its that if you were really to put all the anarchists together in a room, there would only be 100, thus explaining why it feels like we run into each other so often.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
You forgot the sticknpoke tats!

Anyway what I love about this site is that's it's like our little squat in the internet, well, minus all the holes in the drywall, ceiling and floor, the crawling critters and the mini-ecosystem in the sink.

Reactions: Gabana

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
Anyway what I love about this site is that's it's like our little squat in the internet, well, minus all the holes in the drywall, ceiling and floor, the crawling critters and the mini-ecosystem in the sink.

:hysterical:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads