Vasectomies?

Rash L

Reaction score
so.. I've wanted to get my tubes tied since I was 24... they told me I couldnt do it until I was at least 25 or had a kid. A bunch of insurance prompted doctor switching later... I am again coming back to look into it at age 26. My new (current) doctor suggested I get an IUD/IUS, and that I would have to go next door and see another doctor and basically beg for it since they are against inserting them if you havent given birth, due to the fact that your cervix wouldnt easily allow for insertion....and since a rare side-effect can be sterilization (not that I care!), they also want you to have a kid -- JUST IN CASE. After reading a couple horror stories, I'm back to wanting to tubal ligation. Now I just have to beg a doctor or 2 to look into the whole thing seriously.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Spinelli said:
Finally got mine this summer, I just have not had internet access to post.

You, sir, are owed a beer! (If that's your thing, or something else if it's not.)
I'm a man of my word.

roadbike said:
...The hysto was one of the best moves I ever made, though it took a fair bit longer to heal then this would have. Ahhh gender fail.

Oh!, you too get an I.O.U. for a beverage of choice as offered to anyone getting a vasectomy. Same holds for sprout and RenegadeGypsy, if they should get sterilized. Best of luck, perseverance!

Rash L said:
so.. I've wanted to get my tubes tied since I was 24... they told me I couldnt do it until I was at least 25 or had a kid. A bunch of insurance prompted doctor switching later... I am again coming back to look into it at age 26. My new (current) doctor suggested I get an IUD/IUS, and that I would have to go next door and see another doctor and basically beg for it since they are against inserting them if you havent given birth, due to the fact that your cervix wouldnt easily allow for insertion....and since a rare side-effect can be sterilization (not that I care!), they also want you to have a kid -- JUST IN CASE. After reading a couple horror stories, I'm back to wanting to tubal ligation. Now I just have to beg a doctor or 2 to look into the whole thing seriously.

Tell them you've had a couple abortions despite using birth control pills and condoms, and that you've NEVER wanted to have children, ever. This might nudge them in your favor. Pester them, seriously, make a visit every week to the same place and see the Doc personally about it. How long can they brush you off?

I got discouraged when I went at 26, but I told them something similar to this - which is not far from true for me - and they relented. And a pal of mine got his vasectomy at 21 by being persistent and bothersome, which is pretty bold (or stupid), considering they were soon cutting at his balls.

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
this thread was very comforting, I have always thought about doing it but never got to talk to anyone about how everything went/felt after.
hey winder (or anyone) do you know if Planned Parenthood will do it for free nationally or is it only certain states?

Reaction score
Vasectomies! Way to go Widerstand. Taking care of business is sexy.

For anyone thinking of using wild carrot seeds please be carefull. I have found way more folklore/myth than actual credible information on it, and I know one person who was using it and concieved. We had a joke in this herb school I went to that went like this: What do you call someone who uses wild carrot as birth control?

Pregnant.

Yikes. I would love to believe it works, but I need some harder facts.

Has anyone heard of Neem oil?
I have heard some excellent things about it. Supposedly, men can take it internally in capsuls as a regular supplement and it impoblizes sperm. It also stimulates the heck out of your immune system and after you stop taking it you become fertile again. I think it intriuges me because it's a birth control method where the male assumes responsibility, and like I said, taking care of business is such a turn on to me. I also think it can be used in women. If anyones got personal experience I'd love to hear. I'm just getting into the Fertility awareness Method myself. I was on birth control for 3 months and it SUCKED.

anyhow some starter links:
http://www.sisterzeus.com/neem.html

http://www.birth-control-comparison.info/fam.htm

shop around and be careful.

Reactions: MamaSow

JahDucky

Reaction score
Guys, get it done, for fuck's sake!
Six billion "miracles" are enough!
How about we keep a little of non-human life (beyond that which civilization grows and cages)?

Haha. I love how you call it ""miracles"". I call my "miracle" a surprise party(its no miracle I got pregnant but boy howdy was it a surprise!)

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Well, it's not my term... more what I gather a lot of people said through the last century.
To my mind, miracles, by definition, ought to be a lil' more uncommon than human reproduction is and has been.

Mor

Reaction score
I got clipped on the 6th of March!

I'm patiently waiting for the 8 week period to be over so I can go and get my sploodge tested for any survivors.

Two more weeks and then I can throw the rubbers away. wahoo!

logan714

Rev Quay Lude The Church of the SubGenius http:
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i agree with getting sniped The only reason i'm not i was celpent for 5 years before i met my wife 9 years ago she wanted kids We had 2 then they made her have a c cession so it was like who going to do it and my answer was Well there all ready there with you so have them clip the tubes

i cant see me fucking anyone other than my wife

If i was alone it would be self service

l

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
the cost of getting a passport and traveling out of the USA and into a far-poorer country simply to avoid the cost of vasectomy ($300, in my case) - all while there are state-funded coverages one can receive, in most states and with the effort of trying for it - eh, thanks for the info, but it doesn't seem cost/time effective.

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
there are charities in ceratin countries that will pay you to get vasectomies.
/n/ - News and World Events - Thread 26261

the cost of getting a passport and traveling out of the USA and into a far-poorer country simply to avoid the cost of vasectomy ($300, in my case) - all while there are state-funded coverages one can receive, in most states and with the effort of trying for it - eh, thanks for the info, but it doesn't seem cost/time effective.

eehh, I think that he was simply stating this, not suggesting it

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
I wanted to update and Bump this thread as I've been doing a little research on where to get one for free, and am about to get my free one scheduled.
I went to a Planned Parenthood in Sioux Falls SD and they told me they had nothing to do with them, so I caution you against relying on them even though their website will say they offer "Men's Services". Call ahead

A former member of this site had his done thru them in Portland OR but I believe only the consultation was at PP, the actual surgery is at a contracted urologist generally.
The simpler way, I found, is to get one funded thru health insurance. Most state plans will let you get it completely free.
Under the age of 21 you should be able to receive Medicaid (free insurance) in many states, also if you are disabled and over 21 (or over 65). Under 18, you probably won't be able to have the vasectomy paid for, however. Over 21, you have a few states to go to for free health insurance. Simply list your address as "Homeless" and apply for it at the same time as your SNAP(food benefits). It'll probably be the same form, just check an extra box.

Washington state has not only free health insurance, but a specific family planning program called "Take Charge" that will fund your vasectomy. This is the option I'm pursuing.

Denver CO-You can get one funded thru Tri-County Health Dep't

Orlando FL- Marion County Health Dept pays for them

MOST STATES DO NOT HAVE FREE HEALTH INSURANCE IF YOU ARE 21-65 AND NOT DISABLED OR PREGNANT. You need to do your research on this one.
I got insurance in Oregon a few years ago, but they now have a waiting list.
Massachusetts has free health insurance, they are a great option.

Wherever you have it done, it'll probably have to be in the state your insurance is from, and there will be a 30-day waiting period. First your consultation (real quick and they give you some glossy pamphlets) then a month later the real deal.

Reactions: 0ddity

plagueship

Reaction score
getting a vasectomy was one of the few most awesomest decisions of my life. they gave me a local anesthetic and i was awake the whole time (took like 15 minutes). sore as hell for about a week, in a month i was good as new.

"like a rodeo cowboy" - totally going to steal that.

anyway yeah do your research, especially for the wanerin types it shouldnt be too hard to find somewhere you can get it for free. sterilizing poor people is always a good investment for the state, there's no future cost for welfare babies, education, jail time, etc.

i don't mean to judge "breeders"; it's a personal choice; but personally, not only am i not interested in having kids but i think it's a little cruel (to everyone) to bring more human beings into this overcrowded, fucked up mess of a world. i know it's in our "biological urges/instincts", but i don't personally want to put my instincts totally in front of my logical mind, and i know a lot of anarchists/hippies/etc think their kids are going to save the world, but personally... i feel pretty meh about that idea for any number of reasons... i wont go on, just sayin.

P

pigpen

. i know a lot of anarchists/hippies/etc think their kids are going to save the world, but personally... i feel pretty meh about that idea for any number of reasons... i wont go on, just sayin.

I've heard the argument of children having an increased probability of radicalization if their parent(s) are anarchist/radical/whatever, but have met a family where the mother of two girls ended up with one who was the coolest and possibly most intelligent 11 year old I've ever met and another who (as the anarchist mama herself put it) did not "play for the team".

I've nothing to hold against people who choose to breed, but do have ideological reservations regarding such.

and the idea that there's some sort of radical genetic predisposition is fucking silly.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I just went and had it done this summer. I went to Planned Parenthood, filled out some paperwork, talked to a doc there, got an appointment, went back on the day I was scheduled and had it done. I was bruised for 1 week and sore for 2 weeks but completely back to normal in a month. He had to give me a little more anesthetic while half way through(ouch), but I've been through a hell of a lot worse. It didn't cost me anything either since I'm broke as a joke.

I have no desire to be either a father or some chump paying a check.
It was one of the best choices I've ever made.

Reactions: plagueship

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
i don't mean to judge "breeders"; it's a personal choice; but personally, not only am i not interested in having kids but i think it's a little cruel (to everyone) to bring more human beings into this overcrowded, fucked up mess of a world. i know it's in our "biological urges/instincts", but i don't personally want to put my instincts totally in front of my logical mind, and i know a lot of anarchists/hippies/etc think their kids are going to save the world, but personally... i feel pretty meh about that idea for any number of reasons... i wont go on, just sayin.

Yeah I think the world is seriously overcrowded and this overcrowding is the root of A LOT of other world problems, so yeah, I kinda also had ideological reasons to have it done. But plain and simple I just don't want all of what comes along with having kids, it's just not for me either.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
Just got it done! Was back to work picking apples the next day, worked a little slow, then back to full speed day after that.
All I did for post care was bag ice for 9 hours, 2 vicodins, then 6 aspirins over a day and a half. They gave me scrip for 10 5mg vics but i had to pay for the pills since Take Charge wouldn't cover them
GET IT DONE! It is so damn easy it ain't funny.
NO kids! Hell yeah. No "my period is late and I'm worried" ever again. Travel til death!!!!!XXX

PS Ever felt a spaghetti noodle sliding down your throat as u swallowed it? Thats what it feels like when the doc pulls some on your vas deferens to get slack be able to tie the knot in it. So weird! The actual cutting of tubes, however is painless, just minorly uncomfortable and pinchy feeling.
I thought they were just being clamped when he cut them, thats how painless it is

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads