Using a Tent Without the Rods | Squat the Planet

Using a Tent Without the Rods

Smallredbox

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I have a Ozark Trail tent that I got half a year ago, and have used it a few times.

Today I came across it and remembered the times I carried it with me, and how it was a pain to carry because of weight. (I prefer to be as light as possible)

Now, it is pretty light, but it could be lighter if I didn't use the support rods.

What I am asking is: Has anyone done this before, (not using the support rods that the tent comes with) and how did it go?
Here's a picture of the tent I have:
ozark-trail-6x5-2-person-junior-dome-tent.jpg

I have been considering it from the standpoint of keeping bugs out, and reducing carry weight.
I also have a tarp.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :cheers:

Edit: Mine is a blue one, and I'll be spraying it black-ish soon. I swear, Tents these days aren't made for the stealth-minded individual.

Smallredbox

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Well, the thing is, is that the tent already has some mesh built in, and I'd hate to waste a resource.

Basically my idea was to use it as a sleeping bag wrap. The tarp could be used for waterproofing as a top layer.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Well, if weight reduction is a concern of yours, consider all the excess material you'll be carrying around with you by packing that tent. If you don't want to waste anything, then modify it. You can make a bivy or something. But the tent fabric itself isn't waterproof, so to me, carrying around a tarp to make it waterproof is pointless when the tarp can be used alone. You can just wrap yourself up in it, though there are other configurations that may be preferable. To keep bugs out, just fold over the ends when you've made yourself into a burrito, or cut out pieces of the tent mesh and figure out a way to secure them over the ends. Be creative. Of course, there is an advantage to having all that extra room and privacy a tent affords when you've encountered pleasant company. By the way, don't forget about condensation.

wartomods

Reaction score
you can stand the tent without poles, but only if you have paracord and trees or whatever around

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Using a tent without the rods should be avoided whenever possible, even with cord, it'll sag because it's not designed to be held up that way. Harvest the mesh from the tent and make it a part of the sleeping bag.

Smallredbox

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
So the consensus is that the tent-bag/wrap is an overall bad idea?

I like the paracord idea, but only if it weighs less overall. Paracord is the really strong superlight rope, right?

Rash L

Reaction score
I personally have this tent, and it has gone to a number of places with me, as it is pretty light (though I agree, I wish the poles were a bit lighter and it wasnt so awkward to carry/strap to pack) but I usually only bring it along on short outings to festivals, if I'm wandering off into the wilderness with someone(where the colors arent a huge problem)... or if I am traveling with someone and they are willing to carry it half/most of the time. As far as extra room in this tent... there really isnt any. I have lived in it with someone who was 6'2" for a summer, but the tent is only 5'x6'x3' and is supposed to be for small children. Its great to sleep in, but even to try and get dressed I had to kick my boy out just to move around enough to wiggle into pants and pull shirts on and off.

Anyways, to actually answer your question, I think that for traveling alone I prefer the tarp, and I dont think that this tent could be modified to work really well as much more than just the tent it was made to be. Still a good tent though if you dont mind carrying the (relatively light) weight around and you have an easy way to carry it.

wulf

Reaction score
Last summer i used the fly sheet from a 2man tent as a tarp, it had strings on it already, and I tied a rope above the sheet and attached it to the centre top, to keep the middle up. Worked well.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
What I used to do with a tarp...in the middle, I would put a few pieces of gorilla tape on the inside and outside and cut a hole in the middle of the gorilla tape big enough for a bolt to go through. I would have an eye bolt (a bolt with a loop on top for rope to go through) and put it through a metal washer, then a rubber washer type thing, not an o-ring though, as to reduce rain coming in, then through the tarp, then more rubber,another metal washer, and then the nut. I then put rope through the eye of the bolt and throw one end of the rope over the tree and tie it to the other end, so the tarp hangs a little bit. Then I stake it to the ground and got a DIY tent sorta. When I do this, i obviously do it in heavily wooded areas when its raining.otherwise, i just lay the tarp over me when i sleep. the gorilla tape helps not tear the tarp while the wind is blowing it.

farmer john

Reaction score

tallhorseman

Reaction score
Try dying it instead of painting it. Some tents, not all, will absorb dye. Mine was bright yellow. I let it soak in brown, Ritt dye for a couple of days and it came out great, damn near invisible.

I wouldn't use it without the rods though. They probably only weigh a pound or two. If I was that serious about lightening my load I would just carry a small tarp or a piece of that plastic that painters use to keep from getting paint on the floor. You could stuff a ten by ten piece of that in your pants pocket and it would only weigh a few ounces. It wouldn't be at all durable though.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads